Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Linux server admins, question...

I'm replacing a mysql box with a bigger server. Running CentOS5.2.

I'm just wondering if there's a good way to do it without having to physically be there.

Here's what I had in mind..

Stop mysql on old server, flush log files or whatever needs to be done (have to research that).

Copy files over to new server, bring up mysql on new server to make sure the info is there.

Edit name, IP address info on each server so new server has old server's name and IP, new name and IP for old server.

Do a service network restart at the same time on both.

Have a beer.

Trying to avoid physically being at the colo to do this. Am I way off base?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

If you're not physically there, you're going to ssh to each machine? If that's the case when you restart the network you'll get punted, so you better make sure the new network settings are right or you'll never be able to get back on the machine(s).
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
If you're not physically there, you're going to ssh to each machine? If that's the case when you restart the network you'll get punted, so you better make sure the new network settings are right or you'll never be able to get back on the machine(s).
Yeah, it would be nice in a situation like this, to assign a second IP address that won't be changing to each box, so that you have a backdoor to get in on.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Yeah that's the hope.. if I get it wrong I can go over there, they're colocated here but it's just a pain.

There is a remote access card on the new server, but I haven't the foggiest idea how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Yeah, it would be nice in a situation like this, to assign a second IP address that won't be changing to each box, so that you have a backdoor to get in on.
That's a good idea, though I'm more scared of wrecking things by adding a 2nd IP.

I hate being a n00b.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That's a good idea, though I'm more scared of wrecking things by adding a 2nd IP.

I hate being a n00b.
Nothing wrong with being a n00b and trying stuff.

BIG issue with trying stuff on production machines, n00b or not. (mind you, if you wait until the crap really hits the fan, I find people are so panicked they let you try anything you want.)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
photon

Exp:

Yeah, this is a production box.

Good thing is the phones (this is for a mobile app) are setup to resend the updates later if the system is down, so it's not a big deal for it to be down for a while. And worse case is I just revert back to the old box and try again.

The last thing I have to figure out is how to move the database from one box to another, apparently I can just copy over the files without having to do a backup and restore, but have to do some reading on how to do that.