Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default HF Top 20 Flames Prospects List

New list came out today.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2009/

Pelech at 14 is mind boggling to me. I'm a huge Pelech fan though. Really though there is no reason he shouldn't be top 5. Armstrong and Keetley are low. Both Sutter and Bouma should be on the list. Have really no idea what Carpentier did in the last year to get himself into the top 20.

I much prefer the list Calgarypuck did during the Summer.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
snowdude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. It's like they just pulled the names out of a hat and kept that order.

snowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

IMO, Hockeys Future doesn't exactly hold alot of credibility when it comes to ranking prospects. Seems like just fan opinion, which is no better than anyone here.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Sly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah Pelech at 14 is just weird.
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

After looking at the rankings, I didn't even waste the time to read the rest of the article. I respect opinions, but these are not even close.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO, biggest errors are Pelech and Bouma.

Pelech is our top D prospest right now and is very close to being NHL ready. He should be top 10, even top 5.

Bouma is the wild card. The guy is a Lucic type player. IMO, he breaks out next year and his stock rises big time. IMO, he is going to be a Flames fan favorite for many years and one of the heart and soul guys of the team.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

As I understand it, team lists are compiled by one writer. In the case of the Flames list, it's always someone parachuted in on a one-time basis (and it's always been that way). There's never been a dedicated Flames contributor on that site, and traditionally, there's been little interest by the site's organizers in filling the position.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Flame12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Weird thing about that site is how many posters take what is writen on HF as the gospel truth. We all have opinion on prospects I happen to believe Calgary has solid prospects at each position but I would be drowned out as a homer on HF. Calgary is constantily looked down on that board but that is fine.
Flame12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

They'd be more credible if they just came out and said "Look, since we're not really paying attention to this team, instead of carrying on a charade, we're just going to categorize it as 'Not Rated'."

It's been the same sorry schtick on that site since its inception almost a decade ago.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame12 View Post
Weird thing about that site is how many Oiler fans take what is written on HF as the gospel truth.
fixed
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

At least there's no dead guy in the Flames top 20 this year.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awful. They basically took the spring rankings, added the 09 draftees, moved Puustinen down, but not off the list (what's his status anyways? I don't THINK he's part of the org. anymore is he?) and did a bit of minor tweaking (moving Keetley down, which is maybe appropriate, but not as much as they did). To say that the majority of our defensive prospects are going to be hard pressed to crack an NHL 2nd pairing is pretty hilarious.

Negrin had a terrific year in the WHL. Seems to have a good knack for assists, and while I didn't see a whole lot of him in the W, he was great when I did, and Brad Kearl mentioned during games I listened to that when the Hitmen played the Ice, they more or less did what they wanted to with the puck, until Negrin hit got off the bench. Also, while defensively shaky in his first NHL game (but he scored the Furlatt goal if I remember correctly) he looked more than fine in his next 2, which give me high hopes for the guy.

Matt Pelech is an NHL defenseman right now, and he's still quite young. To rate him as someone who'll top out as a 3rd pairing guy at best is a farce.

T.J. Brodie....went up by what, one ranking? I don't think he's the next big thing, but with the offense he showed in the OHL last year, you'd think that he'd get some recognition from the guys who claim to be the authority on these sorts of things....especially since the CHL should probably have the most people working on it, considering the quality, and quantity of prospects that they pump out. The kid's got talent.

Keith Seabrook ranked above Matt Pelech? Awful. I am not a Keith Seabrook fan. Seabrook is an EXTREMELY high risk-high reward guy. He has offensive talent, but he pretty much needs to be taught to play defense from the ground up. If this is possible at his age, he could be a steal, but he's got a long way to go.

Keith Aulie is a guy I'm glad is a Flames prospect, but I do think that the HF guys went "OMGWORLDJUNIORSTEAMCANADA!!!!!".....and promptly vaulted him to that position and ranking.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
As I understand it, team lists are compiled by one writer. In the case of the Flames list, it's always someone parachuted in on a one-time basis (and it's always been that way). There's never been a dedicated Flames contributor on that site, and traditionally, there's been little interest by the site's organizers in filling the position.
But no! Only the journalistic creme de la creme post on this most reputable of hockey sites!

A few years ago when I did the Jamie Tardif interview for CP I also offered the article to HF. They came back to me and said the Flames writer position was already filled but I could fill out an application to become an HF writer and provide some samples and maybe one day I could be a contributor.

I stopped short of pointing out to them that apart from some of their interviews, most of their articles are complete . Instead, I just never posted there ever again.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
Sly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
At least there's no dead guy in the Flames top 20 this year.
Renaud?
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we had Tkachuk, Fata, Saprykin etcs we used to be in top 10s in their rankings but now we're late 20s. Id rather be what we are today. HF doesn't have a clue, if the guy had seen the 20 prospect he was ranking it would be different but when you haven't seen 1/5 of the guys you're raking why bother?

I get the argument of them providing free service but free is usually garbage and the sums it up for me.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Ranked 25th in the NHL. Larf. What a putz.

This little gem about the Flames prospect pool shows how clueless the guy is.

Quote:
Defensive depth is also a concern.
Yeah, right.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Matt Pelech is an all-star!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

looking at CP's top 15 versus their top 20 ...

Nemisz, Irving and Aulie all fairly close to where we have them.

They heavily boost Aaron Marvin
They knock down Greentree and Keetley a bit.
They seem to have missed the boat entirely on Pelech and Armstrong.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Wow. I never even realized that there were actually people out there who used HF for anything substantial.

Well, besides the Edmonton Outscorers.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote