Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:
Default The Wedding MC

So a few months back, I was asked by my sister to MC her wedding, and in true fashion, I agreed without giving it any thought. Public speaking has never really been an issue for me, but I with the date fast approaching I find myself completely unprepared. I'm writing an outline with my sis to make sure everything flows, but I could use some input.

Has anyone else done this? Anyone want to give me any pointers? I don't want to walk in totally unprepared and wing it, because knowing me I'll get drunk and start insulting people over the mic, and ruin the wedding. Drunk me and microphones don't mix well. At all.

Anyone want to share any good pointers to keep things rolling along, and any good "games" for the crowd to play (for things like giving away the centerpiece, and most importantly keeping people from banging glasses to make the couple kiss)?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Give this a quick read:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=wedding+emcee
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was asked to MC a friend's wedding once just out of high school. Unbenknownst to me, I was a co-MC. I didn't know the other guy I was mastering the ceremonies with and it felt incredibly awkward.

Game suggestion:

Bride and groom sit on chairs back to back. Each remove their shoes and trade one with each other. The MC will ask a series of questions such as "Who is a better cook?" or "Who is a better driver?" The bride and groom will respond by raising the shoe of the person they think is the answer to the question. If you think the bride is the better cook, you raise her shoe. The fun comes when the questions get a little cheeky. I was at a buddy's wedding and this game was well-received. I was at a different wedding and it kind of flopped so take it for what it's worth.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I MC'd a wedding, they came up with a game of "bride and groom" trivia, the guest would have to answer a question - if they got it right the couple would kiss, if they got it wrong the guest had to kiss their date.

As for the MCing, wedding crowds are the easiest crowds in the world. Just use happy / sappy language, a big smile, and don't make yourself the focal point.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I did it for a buddies wedding I bought a book called "The Wedding MC", but maybe you already know about the book seeing as how the title of this thread is exactly the same as the book.

It was worth every penny.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's pretty easy, man. Just let things flow....Your job as MC is not to be the show, rather to make sure the show goes on. Tell a joke here and there about the bride and groom, maybe a story or two, but for the most part, just make sure things don't drag on too long.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've MC'd a few weddings and have delivered eulogies at some funerals. I public speak a lot and folks know I'm comfy doing it.

Read that previous thread as there is lots of good advice there. I'll highlight a few things.

-You are not the show. The B&G are. Never forget that.
-Don't let it drag out. People want it to be over. They want to get the basics, but will appreciate brevity.
-Do, do, do give the speakers a time limit. I've learned this a long time ago. Tell anyone delivering a toast that they have a limit on how long they can speak. Trust me, I've seen folks go for 15 minutes, about 13:30 of it babble. One of those can spoil the whole effort and people won't like it if this becomes 90 minutes and they want to get to the dance floor. When someone comes up to the mic to give a toast, say quietly something like, "Five minutes max, right?" Use whatever time limit you select, but if you don't it can be big trouble.
-Keep it clean. My brother had an MC who told really dirty jokes and that's about all I remember from his wedding banquet. I don't think that these folks will appreciate it when 15 years from now someone says, "Hey, remember that dirty joke the MC told about your wife."
-Have a few jokes in your back pocket in case something doesn't happen when it should and you need some filler. The unexpected happens, so be ready in case it happens to you.
-YOu are not to drink until your job is done. If you start slurring your speech (or something worse), they'll remember you for the wrong reasons.
-Have your words written out, but it must not seem like you're reading. I do a tonne of public speaking, and I hate it when it's obvous that someone is reading to me. You can look down and appear to be reading occasionally (the jokes, for example, which people expect to be read), but it'll look lousy if everything appears to be read. A lot of what I do is on little cards. If I know the material well enough then I can put something on the card like, "I want to tell you a story about my buddy, the....." If you read the story enough times, the rest should become second nature. You could have the rest of the story written out fully as backup, if needed. Practise, practise, practise. This key to making this part work well. Literally, I would read my stuff probably 50 times. You'll see ways to do it better and reading it many times will make you familiar with your material, which is hugely important.
-Relax. If you're nervous, it will show. I won't tell you to imagine everyone naked, but you need to relax by whatever means works for you. A nervous MC who can't get it under control is a disaster.
-Look for a gimmic that works. My neice married a guy from South America and when I met with them (we met 2-3 times to discuss ideas, a very good idea), I found out that in his country it's customary to use a machete to cut the wedding cake. I bought one from Canadian Tire and that's what we used to cut the cake. It was a nice touch. I still have the machete if you want to use it.

Enjoy the experience. It's an honour to be chosen. You might mention in your remarks. Good luck.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to do this in September for a couple I barely know. They don't have a lot of friends and their families are a little "off center" so they don't have any options. . I have known MCs to be close famly friends that know many people at the reception and can crack jokes that most people can laugh at because of it. I couldn't say no but now I am a little nervous about it
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've done it twice and agree with most everything in here.

It's certainly not fun though, it's a job and you've got to recognize that. Until you can sign off when the band/DJ takes over, you won't be drinking, you'll be limited to brief social interactions, you won't have time to eat properly...etc; this is because you'll be constantly trying to micromanage the flow behind the scenes.

And your reward for doing a really good job? Everybody in the future is going to ask you to MC their wedding....
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done it in front of three hundred people.

All I can say is, don't over-prepare. Let things flow; you gotta be able to have a little bit of quick-wit, too.

I also did the shoe game, and now I'm going to be doing it again for a third wedding... all stemming from that first wedding popular demand, haha. I'm getting too good at it!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just got back from doing this last weekend.

Money Guy's pointers were good. Here are a few of my own (there will be some redundancies)

- It's about the Bride & Groom. Keep the focus on them and always on them (unless introducing a speaker, like best man).

- Your job is to get from "Point A" to "Point B". Here's a quick run down of how I usually map things out (I've done this thrice now)

1 - Introduce yourself, say you'll be the emcee for the evening, and without any further adieu, introduce Bride & Groom as they come into the room (possibly wedding party depending on how they want things)

2 - Business logistics, where do you put gifts? Where's the bar? Where are the bathrooms? What are the party favours? Introduce the head table (even if the same as walking in, helps people remember names)

3 - Opening remarks. Wasn't today a great day for a wedding? The service was wonderful, let's have a round of applause for minister/preacher/preist/justice of the peace.

4 - Monologue. Think of it as like a late night talk show. Keep things G rated (depending on the couple and audience PG). You're talking to kids, and grandma. This isn't the bachelor party. Here's where you tell a story or two about the happy couple. Something cute, clever, and charming. (also of note using tricks like alliteration, rhyme, etc help your cause and instantly make you better as long as you don't trip up over your words. Last weekend The first 3 minutes I kept tripping over Scott & Shauna . . . IF you do that make fun of yourself, for the most part you stop doing it and people get a laugh.)

This is also prime wedding game territory. Hold up the shoe for who will do the dishes/better with money. What I did is asked the bride and groom questions about each other. Favourite Food/Song/Movie, always saying 'what's your beautiful bride/gorgeous groom's _____) I ended with asking the love of your life their favourite hockey team, when the bride answered I said "oh I'm sorry, I asked what THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE'S favourite hockey team was . . . I'm a Calgary Flames fan!"

5 - Supper. Say something like how you've tortured everyone enough, let's bring out the food (call up whoever says grace if they're doing that).

6 - Little story/intro to how to do the kissing game if there is one

7 - Intro speeches

8 - Small closing, a short joke, thank yous, and party it down

I find this is a good formula, and if you realize you're not up there for 30-45 minutes it'll go well.

Only small part I disagree with Money Guy on is, it's ok to have a drink or two to help the nerves, but DO NOT GET DRUNK!

I've always had a beer or two, and a glass of wine in me. That said, I've trained debating competitively while drinking, and would have water with my wine too. If you know your limits, and drink based on that and NOT how you feel at the moment you'll be fine. If you're nervous you won't feel the alcohol until it's too late. The beer or two will kick away the nerves once you get going.

I've got a few new ideas and jokes if you want PM me and I'll copy/paste you the second last draft of my notes (I always go over before hand and make the last minute hand written changes)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get totally loaded and tell everyone what you REALLY think of them!
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just MCed a wedding on the weekend. Some great advice here, I dont have much else other than make sure there are Kleenex at the podium because generally the moms, bride and maid of honor will cry.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
Get totally loaded and tell everyone what you REALLY think of them!
and equally as important.. let them know that you are the best guitar player in the world, no thanks to your pop for not buying you lessons...
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote