Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
babs
Draft Pick

Default Rogers Android Phones

Just wondering if anyone here has tried or purchased one of the new Rogers Android phones (HTC Dream or HTC Magic). I decided that it's time to finally get a smartphone, and I'm trying to decide between the new iPhone coming out on Friday, or the HTC Magic. I've been able to play around with an iPhone, and generally know what it's about, but I wondered if anyone had tried one of the Android phones from Rogers. I keep going back and forth on which one to get. Any advice? Thanks!
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check out www.howardforums.com -- lots of info there...here's a review to get you started: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1533244
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm sure the last person you want to hear from is an apple fan with no hands on experience with the android, but here you go anyways!

I ran into a guy golfing last week who was an even bigger apple geek than I am. He wasn't the stereotypical stuck up apple fan, but he was close. Anyways, he has an android and he actually says that he loves it. He still prefers his iphone, but he said there are plenty of things that he felt the android actually did better. If I knew you'd be asking this question I would have asked him what those things were. Sorry about that.

One thing he did mention was that apple and google have one thing that really sets them apart. While both function very well, apple certainly puts a great deal of emphasis on design. If you're somebody like me who not only appreciates that but almost demands it, that can be a big factor. Other people could care less how things look, and that's totally cool too ... it's just not for me.

I think both phones would serve you well. From what I've heard about the android it's a rock solid device, but it's missing one rather important feature. The app store is just massive and any smartphone will have a very hard time keeping up with it. As the phone's popularity grows more people are developing apps, and that's a wave I wouldn't want to miss. The update coming tomorrow that allows for devices to talk directly to the iphone opens up a great deal of possibilities.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
babs
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm sure the last person you want to hear from is an apple fan with no hands on experience with the android, but here you go anyways!

I ran into a guy golfing last week who was an even bigger apple geek than I am. He wasn't the stereotypical stuck up apple fan, but he was close. Anyways, he has an android and he actually says that he loves it. He still prefers his iphone, but he said there are plenty of things that he felt the android actually did better. If I knew you'd be asking this question I would have asked him what those things were. Sorry about that.

One thing he did mention was that apple and google have one thing that really sets them apart. While both function very well, apple certainly puts a great deal of emphasis on design. If you're somebody like me who not only appreciates that but almost demands it, that can be a big factor. Other people could care less how things look, and that's totally cool too ... it's just not for me.

I think both phones would serve you well. From what I've heard about the android it's a rock solid device, but it's missing one rather important feature. The app store is just massive and any smartphone will have a very hard time keeping up with it. As the phone's popularity grows more people are developing apps, and that's a wave I wouldn't want to miss. The update coming tomorrow that allows for devices to talk directly to the iphone opens up a great deal of possibilities.
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that an Apple fan likes the Android platform as well. I agree that I'll probably be happy no matter which I decide. I just have a habit of agonizing over these types of decisions.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Any idea on when this will be coming to Telus?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
babs
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Any idea on when this will be coming to Telus?
I've heard that there will be something like 18 new Android OS phones coming out this year, but I'm not sure how many of those will make it to Canada, or if any will even make it to Telus. With 18 coming out though, you would think Telus would eventually get in on the action.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Hopefully.

Bad enough already that they don't have the iPhone.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

HTC Batteries suck, and there is very little after-market support, FYI.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
HTC Batteries suck, and there is very little after-market support, FYI.
This is one of the drawbacks I've heard ... but it's a result of one of it's strengths.

You see, the first time you start thinking about things your iphone should be able to do, you're going to run to google and ask the question. Your response will largely be the same: Apple won't allow it. Most people this just angers them. I tend to understand the frustrating things they do.

Google on the other hand is less concerned with standards of usage and design, so developers have more freedom. Not only that they are given more access to power.

This comes at a price though. There's a reason apple doesn't let you run multiple apps at the same time. While the andoid will open certain doors for you, your battery can get hammered as a result. You can give google kudos for making that trade-off the decision of the user. For me battery life is too important, and smartphones already have brutal batteries to begin with.

Last edited by Russic; 06-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

But you don't need to run multiple apps at the same time, so your battery should be alright.

No?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
But you don't need to run multiple apps at the same time, so your battery should be alright.

No?
to be fair I'm not totally sure the multiple apps would be the main culprit, I'm only guessing. Regardless, yes you can always modify your behaviour to help the battery along. I turn off wifi and drop the screen brightness to half when I need to conserve power on my iPhone.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: Whoops...

Thought I was in the iPhone thread. Carry on...

Last edited by Barnes; 06-17-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Retardo
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What I'm reading is that Verizon is going to roll out the Samsung brand Android powered phone sometime this year. Usually Telus has similar phones, so they should get it as well.

I was thinking about getting the new Blackberry, but it doesn't have Wifi.