Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPhone syncs taking too long

I sync my iPhone every couple of days with Outlook. Between syncs there are very few changes except for appointments in Outlook, which is on my laptop and my main calendar while my iPhone is used for mobility. I have hundreds of songs on my iPhone but rarely does anything get added.

It takes around 40-45 minutes typically to do a sync. Why does this take so long? Is this normal? Is it backing up everything, even stuff that has been backed up before like my songs? If so, how do I set it so it only backs up the stuff I want it to to savew time?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What version firmware is your phone on? I remember some of the older versions too a long time to back up, but I thought they solved this in the newer firmware. When it is backing up, it should say in itunes and have a progress bar.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has software version 2.2.1. It's set for automatic updates. I did a sync this morning (about 40 minutes) and did another one just now to see how long it took and it took only a minute or so and it was done.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

The first time you sync the phone it would take a while, most of that being the transfer of songs and applications to the phone. But subsequent syncs shouldn't take very long. The backup of the phone basically transfers all the stored information that's inside each of the apps you have and the settings/preferences for the phone. Then it does contacts/calendar info, etc.

It might be the calendar stuff, I'm not sure. I sync my calendar over the air via exchange, so I can't tell you for sure.