Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
goeagles
Draft Pick

Default Shaw HD-PVR question

I’m wondering if anyone can help… I just upgraded to a Shaw HDPVR and while there is an improvement in picture quality over SD, I’m noticing it isn’t consistent (and as dramatic as it should be, according to my wife). For example watching the basketball game, there times were the clarity was great but other times (usually for short lengths of time) where the picture wasn’t all that great. It’s hard to explain but it reminded me a bit of when you have a slightly loose (coaxial?) cable connection and a hint of fuzziness/static creeps into the picture. Not blatant 'noise' but enough that made me think it wasn't quite right.

It is a 3412 model (I assume refurbished) and connected by an HDMI cable. I've read in other forums that some people have had problems with HDMI cables but most of those forums were old and I’m not sure if that’s still an issue or not.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
goeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

What TV are you using, and what channels did you see less than impressive quality?

Did you setup your PVR to display 1080 or 720 depending on your TV?
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
goeagles
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
What TV are you using, and what channels did you see less than impressive quality?

Did you setup your PVR to display 1080 or 720 depending on your TV?

We have a 42" Panasonic LCD (1080i). TSN2 was the specific channel I noticed it on last night and also on Discovery but I haven't thoroughly checked out all the channels.

A shaw techie set it up while I was at work so I don't know what he set it to. Is 1080 vs 720 setup in the guide's menu or is there another way to access that option?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

With the PVR turned off you select on the remote 'setup' and you'll get some options for the unit, just make sure its setup properly 16x9, and of course 1080i.

Without being sure what you mean by image problems its hard to narrow it down, if its intermittent and on more than one channel it could be a cable issue.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also remember that some things on the HD channels arn't broadcast in HD. For example the Calgary - Columbus games a couple weeks back. TSN is bad for that.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
goeagles
Draft Pick

Yeah it's hard to explain the issue. Thanks though, I'll try that out tonight
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
ratech
Scoring Winger

Exp:

HDMI is not recommended for Shaw HDPVR
ratech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Also remember that some things on the HD channels arn't broadcast in HD. For example the Calgary - Columbus games a couple weeks back. TSN is bad for that.
Little OT, but pretty sure that was SportsNet. TSN is HD for hockey 99% of the time. SN is bad for away games. TSN is MILES ahead of SN when it comes to HD hockey.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratech View Post
I may be wrong on this, but isn't HDMI the only high def output on the 3412? I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is the model I have. If you are not using a HD output to the TV, whats the point of the HD TV?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Little OT, but pretty sure that was SportsNet. TSN is HD for hockey 99% of the time. SN is bad for away games. TSN is MILES ahead of SN when it comes to HD hockey.
Correct it was sportsnet, my bad
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I may be wrong on this, but isn't HDMI the only high def output on the 3412? I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is the model I have. If you are not using a HD output to the TV, whats the point of the HD TV?
Doesn't it also have component outputs? I use HDMI on mine and had 0 problems after setting up the box/tv.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Doesn't it also have component outputs? I use HDMI on mine and had 0 problems after setting up the box/tv.
We use HDMI on ours, and have not had any issues like this. I am pretty sure it has component out as well, since we had to wait a bit for our cables to come from Monoprice.

Are component true HD though? My wife handles how we connect the TV etc so I never researched it that much.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
We use HDMI on ours, and have not had any issues like this. I am pretty sure it has component out as well, since we had to wait a bit for our cables to come from Monoprice.

Are component true HD though? My wife handles how we connect the TV etc so I never researched it that much.
I believe the differences are minor. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the main difference between component and HDMI is that there are multiple connections with component and only a single connection with HDMI.

I have a pvr hooked up via hdmi and an apple TV hooked up with component. The Apple TV looks noticeably better, but I think that's more an issue with the source signal (shaw hd vs. apple hd).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I believe the differences are minor. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the main difference between component and HDMI is that there are multiple connections with component and only a single connection with HDMI.

I have a pvr hooked up via hdmi and an apple TV hooked up with component. The Apple TV looks noticeably better, but I think that's more an issue with the source signal (shaw hd vs. apple hd).

The biggest difference is that one is a digital signal (HDMI) and one is an analog signal (component).
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
The biggest difference is that one is a digital signal (HDMI) and one is an analog signal (component).
I see ... is the quality difference really that noticeable?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

May be a dumb question but you were watch ing the TSN2 HD channel, right? 213 I think?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I see ... is the quality difference really that noticeable?
No, it's usually not. There are actually instances where component will look better than HDMI. It depends totally on the hardware in the cable box and the TV, and the settings on both. (In other words, do some simple tests and come to a subjective conclusion for your equipment if you're wondering).

Extremely generally speaking, the newer and "better" your equipment is (cable box/gaming console or other source, TV/projector or other display, interconnects) and the higher resolution your intended output, the more likely HDMI will be the superior choice.

Component was designed to theoretically handle 1080p, but it was introduced long before that standard became a reality for general consumption. Analog (component) suffers from gradual signal degradation over distance; for digital (HDMI) it either works or it doesn't (basically).

HDMI was designed specifically for high-definition broadcasts, and the HDMI standard continues to change and evolve as technologies change and evolve. It was designed to be as future-proofed as possible. As more and more sources, displays and other devices are coming well-equipped to maximize the potential of HDMI, it becomes increasingly the "better" choice.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OBCT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratech View Post
Where the hell did you hear this?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
goeagles
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
May be a dumb question but you were watch ing the TSN2 HD channel, right? 213 I think?

Yep, that's right
Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratech

Where the hell did you hear this?
I've heard this too and not just for Shaw. The problem comes up because HDMI requires a HDCP handshake and some TVs when paired with some receivers have problems with this. It probably works 95% of the time but in order for TV providers to avoid the headache of solving the problem, they just don't officially support the HDMI connection. When a customer complains, they just say, gosh that's terrible, have you tried the component connection.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: