Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default Calgary Puckers season thread: Playoff push '09

The title may be a bit misleading as we already have 6 or 7 players commited, but our hockey team is struggling in div D (NCHL) right now, and for the winter we've decided to move this team down to E, and take the best players from the team and make a strong div D team.

The deposit will probably be due sometime in early July, and it's usually around $250, then the remainder is usually due sometime in August. the total cost is typically around $600 give or take, depending on if we go with 11, 12, or 13 players.

So if there's anyone on team ikea that wants a second team for the winter, or anyone reading this thread that is looking to play some hockey, let me know. It would be cool if we could get a good number of CP'ers on the team, maybe even make it the unofficial CP hockey team. I'm actually ordering the Flames 1989 home and away jerseys for the team, which will look pretty cool, especially if there's a strong CP presence on the team. No idea on a logo yet, but we may go logoless for the first season, as the two jersey sets wuold be $80 per player with just numbers, where as the logo costs about $300 to design and $40 to put it on the jerseys.

As for skill, we're not too picky, however we do want to make this team a strong div D team, so we are looking for some form of past hockey skill. Basically we just don't want players who are learning to skate, or that still need to learn how to breakout, pass, shoot etc. Pretty much if you can skate decently, pass, shoot and all that, then you'd be perfect for our team. Also, we prefer players that buy into the team concept, players that play well on a line with other players, etc. We've had 'one man show' players in the past, that don't care about the team winning or losing, and are just interested in doing end to enders by themselves all game, and no matter how good they are, they just end up pissing everyone of in the end.

Also, Jayems we haven't had a game since we came up with this idea, so I haven't had a chance to ask you yet, but let me know what yuor plans are for the winter, as we'd like to have you as the goalie for the div D team.

I'll keep this post edited with players that have verbally or financially commited..... Also, if you have commited in any form, just lat me know what position you'd like to play...

Goalie
jayems

Defense

filled filled

kevinguy x

Forwards

flameswin x filled

filled filled x

x x x

Keep in mind, this idea is new, so the spots that say filled are just people from the other team have expressed interest, so there may be more spots availible then it looks like.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
jayswin

Exp:

Also of note;

-The league runs from around Sept 10 to mid April
-There are 30 regular season games, plus 1 gauranteed playoff game (I believe you play about 6 or 7 games if you go all the way)
-The league provides pucks and water bottles for each game, along with a timekeeper and two refs
-Officially there is no beer allowed at the arenas, but unofficially lot's of beer is allowed at the arenas, provided teams aren't acting like drunken teenagers and leaving empties spewed all over the room. Most rink rats take a 1 beer tax if they walk in on you drinking
-There is a website that keeps track of the whole league, team stats, personal stats, league leaders in goals, assists etc, adn your games are entered in within 24 hours of when you played
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Some of the CP softball players might be interested. That concept has worked really well.

We think our logo would look especially good on a hockey jersey (but maybe not so much on 1989 Flames jerseys).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be in, depends on the status of my other winter team, the captain got transferred to Kelowna so looking for someone to step up. If not then I will be in on this.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
jayswin

Exp:

Also, there is an all star game each year, that is called "the big league experience"

Basically two players from each team get to go. It's held at the Saddldome, and they definitly go out of their way to make it a cool experience. It's North vs South for each division, and you get changed in the Flames (and visitors) dressing rooms, then you come out as your name is announced by Beasley (voice of the Flames), then you all line up on the blueline for the singing of the National Anthem. There is a skills competition with pretty much all the same events as the NhL all star game, followed by a game between North and South. The whole game is filmed just like a Flames game, some plays are even replayed on the jumbotron, lol.

The other cool thing they do is have a contest, where the team that brings out the most fans to the game gets their next season payed for by the league, so there ends up being lots of fans in the stands, which adds to the experience.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^^

They also take the broadcast of the game and make a DVD that you can buy for about $20.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
jayswin

Exp:

..and Soulchoice, I know you have a pretty busy winter hockey schedule, but you should seriously think of making room for this team.

You'd definitly go a long to ensuring we're a strong div D team, and your a great teacher of the game as well, which is always benificial to newer players.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

hey Flameswin
team ikea is looking to register for winter league as well, but we are thinking that if we can we may try to get into north division as opposed to south
we are debating on whether to stay in E or move to D. We want to see how we do over our next couple of games before making that decision, but we have already sent out an email to our players but depending on the response maybe we can combine and be one team

anywho slopestylerails is doing a majority of the planning might not be a bad idea to PM him

plus we are looking into getting some sponsors to help with some of the costs, if even just the jerseys
Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Some of the CP softball players might be interested. That concept has worked really well.

We think our logo would look especially good on a hockey jersey (but maybe not so much on 1989 Flames jerseys).

We could always just go with the letters CP in the same style as the Flames logo, or put the letters CP inside a puck (similar to the website logo), or something to that effect. Heck, we could even calll the team 'Calgarypuck', if the CP higher ups don't mind.

Although the guy I'm putting the team togetehr with is a HUGE Oiler fan, so I'd have to fight to call our team Calgarypuck, lol. Although, I could do what I did with the jerseys, and just not tell him, (imagine the look on his face when he sees the Flames jerseys showing up, when he thinks a set of plain black and whites are on their way, lol.)

Last edited by jayswin; 06-03-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
hey Flameswin
team ikea is looking to register for winter league as well, but we are thinking that if we can we may try to get into north division as opposed to south
we are debating on whether to stay in E or move to D. We want to see how we do over our next couple of games before making that decision, but we have already sent out an email to our players but depending on the response maybe we can combine and be one team

anywho slopestylerails is doing a majority of the planning might not be a bad idea to PM him

plus we are looking into getting some sponsors to help with some of the costs, if even just the jerseys
Okay, that's something to think about for sure. Although getting sponsered is always quite the adventure. It's kind of hard to find sponsers for rec hockey teams, unless you have someone on the team that has connections.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

ya slopestylerails has something in mind for a sponsor already, he sounds fairly confident that he can get it
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just wondering if you are looking for players for the E team as well as the D team. I played in Div C a couple summers ago and was in way over my head.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in as usual, but do you know if the whitesox are planning on asking me to be their goalie again next winter? I don't mind playing on 2 teams, hell, I'd love it (it'd end up being 3 teams as I'm a winger on another team) but my college sched. next year is lax, to say the least.. lots of free time and no early time commitments the next day. I do plan on trying out for the MRC Cougars.. but I'm not sure how thats going to go.

Let me know.

Last edited by Jayems; 06-03-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Just wondering if you are looking for players for the E team as well as the D team. I played in Div C a couple summers ago and was in way over my head.

Yeah the E team will definitly need players as well.

Actually we are thinking of booking an ice time pretty quick here, and then inviting out everyone who's interested, and having a shinny. It would give everyone a chance to see where they stand, and it could also be where we collect deposits from players who are ready to commit. Then if some players decide to they would rather play in E (Our division E GM would be there too) then they could talk to the div E GM and give him a deposit if there are enough spots availible.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
I'm in as usual, but do you know if the whitesox are planning on asking me to be their goalie again next winter? I don't mind playing on 2 teams, hell, I'd love it (it'd end up being 3 teams as I'm a winger on another team) but my college sched. next year is lax, to say the least.. lots of free time and no early time commitments the next day.

Let me know.
The Whitesox are always up in the air , one season they're a div C team, the next they're a strong Div A team. It all depends on what players commit from year to year. They have a goalie who's been playing with them off and on for a long time. Howeevr he's a little flakey, one year he'll commit, then the next year he'll have a different team lined up.

But if came down to it, you could play on the E team and this new CP team if you want. I don't think we have any other goalies ready to commit to the winter yet.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
The Whitesox are always up in the air , one season they're a div C team, the next they're a strong Div A team. It all depends on what players commit from year to year. They have a goalie who's been playing with them off and on for a long time. Howeevr he's a little flakey, one year he'll commit, then the next year he'll have a different team lined up.

But if came down to it, you could play on the E team and this new CP team if you want. I don't think we have any other goalies ready to commit to the winter yet.
Ok.

Last edited by Jayems; 06-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
Well, I'm thinking maybe be the goalie for the CP team, and player on the E team to give someone else a shot at goal, i know there are other goalies on the forum... but I do want to play on at least 1 team as a goalie this year.
You'd want to be a player on the E team?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be in for that I think. Is it slightly competitive but nothing crazy type thing? Im not interested in anything above d/e I think (just from what Ive read, Ive never played in NCHL before).
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I'd be in for that I think. Is it slightly competitive but nothing crazy type thing? Im not interested in anything above d/e I think (just from what Ive read, Ive never played in NCHL before).

Yeah, me and jayems can tell you it's a pretty easy going team, everyone has a level head. I mean don't get me wrong, we want to win, and we play our balls off during the game, but no one really gets down on eachother or anything like that. Once the game's over, whether we lost 10 -1 or won 5 -4 in a thriller, we still just sit in the room and joke around while drinking a few beers.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds good. Pencil me in I guess. Defense.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big turd , drinking , drunk , halloween , lucky beer