Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default NHL08 - What's your record?

And what level are you playing on?

Rookie
Pro
All-Star
SuperStar

This game is far more difficult than 07, a lot more fun but I've actually stopped playing it for a while because it's just too damn hard.

Started off on "Pro" when I first got the game like I always do, got used to it and started winning every game I played. Started a new Dynasty on All-Star and couldn't win a game, seems like Superstar is exactly the same.

Last week I thought I would tackle it again, I'm 3 - 9 with the Capitals and 2 - 10 with the Flames. I've been in the same spot a few times so I scrap the Dynasties, go back to practice mode and try again later but still no luck.

Shots on goal are pretty much even for every game I play, same with time on attack. I just can't get enough goals, and when I do have a small lead the AI takes over, scores at will and it's all over.

How you guys doing?
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 0-1. Haven't counted my record in exhibition games. I just haven't had much time to play like I did in previous editions. I will concur that it seems like it is harder to play though. Actually I noticed in either 07 or 06 that the difficulty got harder. In earlier years I used to dominate on the hardest level but now the hardest level is actually hard.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

when i switched from pro to all star i was horrible too , but now i have the hang of it ...... the trick i learned it that you cant chase on defense or youll get of of position and the sniper will score everytime.

i do pretty well now i have had a few 3 or 4 game winning streaks but i have 30 pts now and lead the league in pts

and iggy is tied w/ throton for 26 pts.... of course this is also my 3rd season.... i have won the last 2 stanley cups ... 1st season all pro swept the the cup, 2nd season half pro then switched to all star and took the cup in 7.... now im in allstar and i beleve 13-5-4 or something like that..... my lines are a lil different but i have added a few notables

lines are (something like that)
frolov-taratukin-iggy (lombo is first line but he is hurt for 2 months with broken wrist
huselius-boyd-bajek

nystrom-schremp- ???
chucko-moss-??

i have dion , vandy, regher , and nick schultz
and kipper and a no namer
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Im just starting my third season after a 2 month hiatus from NHL08
first year i played pro and ran away with the presidents trophy, the stanley cup and the calder cup (I play all my AHL games as well)

second year (first year all star) I won the NW, finished second in the west (LA of all teams won the west) got eliminated in game 7 of the western finals by LA as well. Quad cities bombed in my second year going something ridiculous like 22-38-22 (I cannot win a shootout against the computer for the life of me)

start of season 3 Quad cities is 0-2-1 and the flames are 0-1-0

line up is
custom character - Langkow - Iginla
drafted player - Lombardi - Moss
Nilson - Yelle - Nystrom
Primeau/Boyd - Stevenson - Van der Gulik

Phaneuf - Ro. Regehr
Warrener - Ri. Regehr
Sarich - Ramholt

Bacashihua
McElhinney

I had to trade Kiprusoff during season two because he demanded a trade and started to suck (I guess he wasnt happy with only playing 38 of the first 40 games) traded for Kari Lehtonen and a draft pick, but had to trade Lehtonen away due to cap constraints
damn Phaneuf and Ro. Regehr earning 7 mil each
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just leave it on Pro all the time. Won the cup with an unbelievable record (77-4 or something). Vanek had something like 115 points.

I just have fun playing the game.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I just leave it on Pro all the time. Won the cup with an unbelievable record (77-4 or something). Vanek had something like 115 points.

I just have fun playing the game.

yeah on pro you can get alot of points...... i think the first year iggy had 156... and took 2nd in pts to crosby. I was up by 11 pts with both teams having 3 games left and apparently sid the kid scored 16 pts in those 3 games while iggy got hurt and couldnt play lol ....

SO the next year i made sure iggy scored 186 lol !!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mostly play online and everyone who's still online is a Superstar level player, I win slightly more than 50% of my games, which is a step down from my 2:1 win ratio from my glory days (playing religously for first 3 months after release). I'm sitting at ~260-170-40 record online, its the only video game I really play.

Superstar is slightly harder than all-star, which is a big jump from Pro, its mostly just a bit tougher to get good shots off. I love the hard difficulties, really feels and flows like a real game, especially since you can't expect a win every time. For some reason, Chicago seems to be my team, tons of speed and great goaltending.

I can't wait for 2009, newb massacre.

Last edited by Matata; 06-02-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

i've been playing on superstar and for the first time in a video game season I'm fighting like madness to get into a playoff spot. I won the cup in my first season on all-star and it was too easy, so I decimated my squad and jacked the difficulty. Turns out Brent Krahn as a starter isn't the coolest idea I've ever had. Still, I'm having more fun with this season than most.

Currently 32-28-10
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forget what my regurlar season schedule was but only lost maybe 10-15 games on the Pro level. Playing the computer is lame sometimes as it just doesn't seem to make a mistake. I like playing online but man the stress can killl me sometimes. My hands start sweating like it's no ones biznezz but I do suprisingly well. I get totally outplayed for the most part as I can't hit worth a damn but have found those that hit VERY well leave themselves out of position and I can score a decent number of odd man rush goals. That and humans tend to make mistakes more than the computer. Good times but stressful.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have probably about a .650 winning percentage. I tend to now play EA sports world tournaments.

While I find the difficulty an important setting, i usually stay on all-star, the actual gameplay settings are far more important in my mind, one huge one is the game speed which I always set to 1. Even changing penalty slider can effect my record.

One HUGE nitpick with NHL 08 is the penalty slider. When you turn it up or down it has NO effect that I can see on the actual reffing but on the players.

When I have the slider at 1 (the lowest ON setting) guys trip all the time when I dive or pokecheck, however when I put it to zero i can dive/pokecheck all I like and the guys never fall down.

The players actually fall more and draw penalties when you turn up the sliders as opposed to the refs calling a tighter game. I HATE THIS!!
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Dope-AS-Fack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was 9-0 with my Flames on pro so im moving on up, havent had game that long

My lines are

Morrow-B.Richards-Iginla
Juice-Lombardi-Pominville
Boyd-Yelle-D.Brown
Nilson-Primuea-Moss

Campbell-Phanuef
Regher-Leopald
Stuart-Giordano
Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm 21-26-6 on this new dynasty I started with the Flames. Going between pro and all-star settings, won a few on all-star but damn, all-star is hard. I have an amazing home record, but I suck on the road. Currently sit in 14th in the conference, so it looks like I'll be moving the difficulty level to pro for a bit so I can catch up.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find with Rookie & Pro it is just too easy. So I moved up All-Star where I had about 65+ wins in the first season plus winning the cup, however, when I jump up to Superstar I always lose by one goal usually in the last 5 minutes or OT and when I do win it has to be a full 60 minutes of shutdown hockey ending in a 1-0 lead and I just don't have the concentration to play like that every game.

I wish there was a setting between All-Star and Superstar, but I am very excited for NHL09 as this is the only game I ever turn on my 360 for.

Oh and I also took foofighter15 to the cleaners when I played him...I let him get up 3-0 in the game so he would start trash talking, then just took over from there! :P
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only game I have for my 360 right now is NHL 08. I think this is the only game I've played for more than 5 months straight without getting bored. Cannot wait for NHL 09 to come out
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Perhaps someone can help me out. Anyone know a good way to make this game more difficult? I've probably played waaaay too much EA NHL in my life, but here's the deal. Play on superstar, slow the game speed down, lower shot accuracy and power to last notch before 0, AI learning all the way up.

Now on my third season in franchise, worst regular season records was 77-2-3.

Have swept every playoff series except for the finals and intentionally throwing a game to win the cup on home ice.

Through some interesting trades and cap management, my current lineup is:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Zetterberg - #1 pick in draft (89 rating) - Nash
Afineganov - Stastny - Svatos
Van Der Gulik - Boyd - Laperierre

The Dion - Liles
Whitney - Boynton
Sarich - Vandermeer

Dipietro
Norrena

Lombardi has a Hart trophy, Iggy is a two time Rocket Richard winner, and The Dion has 3 straight Norris trophies. I rotate goalies regularly, have won the Cup with Kipper, Miller, and now Dipietro. Seriously, I remember when this game first came out that people know some good slider settings to make it more difficult. Please let me know

Last edited by ResAlien; 06-03-2008 at 11:51 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Perhaps someone can help me out. Anyone know a good way to make this game more difficult? I've probably played waaaay too much EA NHL in my life, but here's the deal. Play on superstar, slow the game speed down, lower shot accuracy and power to last notch before 0, AI learning all the way up.

Have swept every playoff series except for the finals and intentionally throwing a game to win the cup on home ice.

The Dion - Liles
Whitney - Boynton
Sarich - Vandermeer

Dipietro
Norrena

Lombardi has a Hart trophy, Iggy is a two time Rocket Richard winner, and The Dion has 3 straight Norris trophies. I rotate goalies regularly, have won the Cup with Kipper, Miller, and now Dipietro. Seriously, I remember when this game first came out that people know some good slider settings to make it more difficult. Please let me know

Might I suggest Mr. Brent Krahn? Also, trade away your third line and replace it with something more similar to your 4th.

I was having a similar problem to you, so I decimated my team and I've been quite pleased with the result.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Played a few more games, I'm now sitting at 4-12-0 with the Flames on AllStar. I'm actually outshooting the other team and leading with time on attack.

I'm starting to realize that a lot of my shots are going high or wide, I need to stop jamming the left stick all the way when shooting. I'm also losing 90% of the faceoffs.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Might I suggest Mr. Brent Krahn? Also, trade away your third line and replace it with something more similar to your 4th.

I was having a similar problem to you, so I decimated my team and I've been quite pleased with the result.
Yeah, was hoping to avoid doing that. It's much more fun to pull of insane trades that would never work in real life. But alas, I went ahead and made some trades to try and worsen my team up, or at least take away some of the offensive skill.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

The Dion - Liles
Whitney - Boynton
Sarich - Vandermeer

Dipietro
Norrena

wow i find this hard to believe, espcially on the highest difficulty.......... onn all star i can only go 3 or 4 games in a row without a loss.... maybe go p lay online to give yourself a challenge
Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

i will say that today is witched over to superstar...... the difficulty from pro to allstar is a huge difference compared to the small jump from all star to superstar.....
i just beat the yotes ...

it was scoreless in the 3rd but doan from the yotes got a breakaway and buried it in the top stick side corner.......

nystrom got a lucky bounce off a skate to tie it with 12 min to go

dion then got the gwg 2:49 left with a huge slapper from the point

then boyd got an empty net ( which also gave me the 25 gamer pts for scoring in the last minute..

so im 1-0 on superstar