Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Default Your 2008 Flames RFA Qualifying Boogie

The following players all need qualifying offers/contracts.

Eric Nystrom - Yup. No reason not to suspect he'll be back.

Curtis McElhinney - Yup. Inside track for backup job.

David Hale - Maybe. Is Adam Pardy ready to replace him?

David Van der Gulik - Yup. Pretty sure he'll be re-signed.

Brandon Prust - Should be. Similar players in the system not ready yet.

Brent Krahn - Nagging suspicion this guy calls it a career.

Adam Pardy - A lot of time invested in this player. Be a shame to cut him loose.

Derek Couture - Couple of incoming prospects could push this guy out.

Cam Cunning - I think the organization still likes this kid.

Ryan Donally - Hard to say, ECHL heroics aside.

Tomi Maki - Out of the organization, I suspect.

Grant Stevenson - Could be lured overseas.

Eric Godard - His arbitration gambit last summer could backfire. Organization could slot in a similar player on a two-way contract.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 06-01-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gut feelings:

Eric Nystrom - Lock.
Curtis McElhinney - Lock.
Brandon Prust - Almost certain.
David Van der Gulik - Almost certain.
Adam Pardy - Almost certain.
Cam Cunning - Probably signed. As Reg said, the organization seems to be high on him and he was a solid depth guy in the QC.
Ryan Donally - Probably signed. He was good enough in Vegas before getting hurt to warrant another go at it.
Grant Stevenson - 50/50 shot. Kolanos is definitely gone and Stevenson would fill that older-player spot, but the AHL is a bit below his skill level right now and a job in Calgary is very much in doubt.
Derek Couture - Probably gone. Minor league depth guy becomes redundant with Cracknell impressing in Vegas and more guys (Carpentier, Watt) turning pro.
Eric Godard - Probably gone.
David Hale - Probably gone. Giordano's signing and Pardy's great camp last year (and solid play this year) make him superfluous.
Brent Krahn - Definitely gone.
Tomi Maki - Definitely gone.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Nystrom:

I think he'll be back on a one-way deal, although I think there is a small chance that he waits to see what kind of offers are out there.

Curtis McElhinney:

Same as Nystrom... If he is offered a one-way, he'll take it. If not, I think he will try his luck somewhere else. He may want to go to a team that doesn't have a 75 game goalie playing in front of him.

David Hale:

I think he is gonzo. Sutter will opt for speed and offense, and will slot Giordano in instead.

David Van der Gulik: We'll keep him

Brandon Prust: We'll keep him.

Brent Krahn:

Gone. He'll try his luck in Switzerland, Germany, or Italy before calling it quits.

Adam Pardy: We'll keep him.

Derek Couture: Gone.

Cam Cunning: One more year.

Ryan Donally: One more year.

Tomi Maki: Gone.

Grant Stevenson:

Gone. He'll try for a one-way deal from an NHL team, or he'll go to Europe.

Eric Godard: Gone. He'll be replaced by a middleweight agitator.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Incoming are a goalie (Irving), two centers (Carpentier and Armstrong), and a winger (Watt). So, for the sake of sheer numbers, that's four in and four out.

Of those, maybe Watt starts in Las Vegas. The other three I think will have QC spots to lose.

Seitsonen, Donally (if re-signed) and Lalande all had strong seasons in the ECHL and will make bids to move up a league. Baldwin and Cole should both get more ice time with a first pro season under their belt, effectively taking Adam Pardy's spot.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 06-01-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Incoming are a goalie (Irving), two centers (Carpentier and Armstrong), and a winger (Watt). So, for the sake of sheer numbers, that's four in and four out.

Of those, maybe Watt starts in Las Vegas. The other three I think will have QC spots to lose.

Seitsonen, Donally (if re-signed) and Lalande all had strong seasons in the ECHL and will make bids to move up a league. Baldwin and Cole should both get more ice time with a first pro season under their belt, effectively taking Adam Pardy's spot.
Well, not entirely...

The Flames get 50 pro contracts. They were using...48 at the end of the year...
ECHL (4): Lalande, Cracknell, Donally, Seitsonen
AHL (19): Krahn, McElhinney, Keetley, Cunning, Chucko, Stevenson, Maki, Germyn, Couture, Van Der Gulik, Peters, Sutter, Prust, Pardy, Ramholt, Cole, Palin, Baldwin, Pelech
NHL (25): Kiprusoff, Joseph, Phaneuf, Vandermeer, Sarich, Eriksson, Hale, Regehr, Aucoin, Warrener, Boyd, Conroy, Godard, Huselius, Iginla, Langkow, Lombardi, Moss, Nilson, Nolan, Nystrom, Primeau, Smith, Tanguay, Yelle

All they would need to do is make sure they stay at or below 50 contracted pro players.

I'd also place Adam Cracknell above Seitsonen or Donally for an AHL job.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I'd also place Adam Cracknell above Seitsonen or Donally for an AHL job.
Total numbers noted. I think, though, if they stay a few under the 50 contracts limit, it's with an eye towards parent club roster flexibility.

To Be Quite Honest ™ guys like Cracknell, Seitsonen and Donally have all been kicking around mostly in the ECHL. If their career ceiling is the AHL, then perhaps the Flames cut them loose when their contracts are due.

Lalande gets a bit of a mulligan being a goaltender.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't Curtis McElhinney, Eric Nystrom, and David Hale UFA's?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11074
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Aren't Curtis McElhinney, Eric Nystrom, and David Hale UFA's?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11074
As far as I can tell, McElhinney and Nystrom are "type VI" UFA's while Hale is unrestricted outright. Not too sure what that means...
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Gnome View Post
As far as I can tell, McElhinney and Nystrom are "type VI" UFA's while Hale is unrestricted outright. Not too sure what that means...
Type 6 UFA means that they're of a certain age and haven't played a certain number of NHL games. Essentially, it's a way of ensuring that a player can get a chance at the NHL, making sure that players can get a chance with another team if one team is unfairly keeping them in the minors.

Nystrom can be chalked up to college (age) plus injury (number of games), McElhinney would be due to going to college (age) plus being behind Krahn and/or not ready (number of games).
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

From (the other board):

Originally Posted by CBA Article 10.1(c)
(c) Group 6 Free Agents.

(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three
(3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i)
in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than
80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less
than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a
goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in
an NHL Game to register a game played). For the purposes of the
foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged
18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven
(11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season
and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league,
while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean
any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional
Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor
league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any
European professional league, while under an SPC).

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an
Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate
and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely
free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty
or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft
Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization
obligation of any kind.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

With signed players, this is what QC looks like in terms of lineup

- Armstrong- Germyn
-Carpentier -Chucko
- Peters - Cracknell
- Sutter -

That's a lot of holes to fill

Eric Nystrom - Was a Buzz saw and a great PKer. Loved his energy and youth (NHL)

Curtis McElhinney - Sutter said the Backup job is his to lose at this point (NHL)

David Hale - Maybe. Only if Eriksson or Warrener is gone. (NHL)

David Van der Gulik - Maybe. Love his character, but starting to wonder if he'll become the 3rd line PKer he was projected (AHL)

Brandon Prust - Maybe. from Drunk Skunk's reports this guy seems to do nothing other than be a middle-weight enforcer with a penchant for stupid penalties

Brent Krahn - Done like dinner

Adam Pardy - Could be the 7th, 8th guy, or the go to guy with Hamlby gone. (AHL/NHL fringe)

Derek Couture - Maybe kept as AHL veteran, depends on QC plans. Is a sparkplug with some AHL offensive upside (AHL)

Cam Cunning - Extremely Physical, probably kept on in the hopes of maybe becoming a call-up guy to inject a little energy (AHL)

Ryan Donally - Has proven to be an offensive force in the ECHL probably given a top 6 audition at the next level (AHL)

Tomi Maki - Grat guy, but gone unless he wins an NHL spot.

Grant Stevenson - Could be lured overseas, but may stay if gauranteed an NHL job to start.

Eric Godard - Gonzo. As much as keenan loves him does nothing other than fight Boogard.

Projected QC lineup:

Donally - Armstrong- Germyn
Van der Gulik - Carpentier - Cracknell
Cunning - Peters - Couture
Watt - Sutter -Chucko

I personally don't think Watt is AHL caliber, but he'll get a shot due to an empty space unless a campinvite pushes one of the other forwards down.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well with guys like Nystrom and McElhinney they're still pretty young and unproven. Other NHL teams will have their own guys like that to deal with that they're much more familiar with so it's likely in the best interest of those guys to re-up with the Flames for another year, maybe on one way deals if they have to.

David Hale - He's sort of a last priority guy to me. I think Adam Pardy is younger, bigger and has the potential to do more. Sort of depends on what else shakes out with the parent club in terms of Warrener, Eriksson, Giordano, and Vandermeer.

David Van der Gulik - Should be qualified, he didn't have a great start to the AHL season, but ended up with similar numbers at year end to the previous year. Should be a candidate to win one of 2 jobs in Calgary.

Brandon Prust - I think was hurt by an off season injury that put him behind at training camp from the start. The teams invested enough in this guy and got enough back that they should give him another crack to make the team in camp.

Brent Krahn - He's been pushed out by the likes of Keetley, Lalonde, Irving moving up in the system. Injuries probably impacted what could have been a middling career as a journeyman goalie.

Adam Pardy - Sounds like he was the best QC defender last year. Doesn't have a huge ceiling, but could be a guy who'll get a taste of some NHL action this year. I'd keep him around for sure.

Derek Couture - I can't say that he's shown enough progression in 3 years to warrant continuing his professional career with the Flames. No QO for you.

Cam Cunning - Sounds like he's a good worker, but career AHL'er at best. I'd only keep him around as filler after I figure out how many contracts I've used, and whats left.

Ryan Donally - He did finally show a bit at the ECHL level this year for the first time in his hockey career. Maybe one more year to see if he's honed something to show that he might have a future in the game. Tough to cut a guy loose after he finally shows even the slightest bit of potential.

Tomi Maki - Agree that he's moved on.

Grant Stevenson - Certainly worth an offer, but as has been mentioned a guy like him could have some good lucrative offers in Europe.

Eric Godard - Well he had a one way deal last year, and I suspect he'll want one again. Really depends on if the copy cat thing see's NHL teams trying to be Detroit and get rid of their tough guys. I think I'd take a wait and see approach and see whats on the market come July 1st.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4Ever View Post
Projected QC lineup:

Donally - Armstrong- Germyn
Van der Gulik - Carpentier - Cracknell
Cunning - Peters - Couture
Watt - Sutter -Chucko
Yeesh. That is not pretty. Safe call ups (ones who don't cause you too many goals) might be Peters and Germyn. The others need some time to develop. No real sure fires in there when you see our best of the rest all lined up like that. Maybe Cunning for that guy who runs around on another team. I think Prust stays.

It looks like a list of 4th liners. Who in there could show some Moss type upside and pop some goals in? Cracknell?
dustygoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I agree with the popular opinion in terms of who stays and goes although Maki was thought to be signed in Finland last year and stuck with the Flames. He will likely be given a long look if he sticks around for camp this year. I think Maki will sign one more contract with the emphasis put on youth in Calgary and see if he can crack the big team's lineup for more than a couple games. If not, back to Finland.

Prust will be re-signed for sure. If Sutter wasn't on planning on keeping him, he would have dealt him to Chicago for Vandermeer. If he's healthy I can see Prust being the first call up to add to Calgary's team toughness if Godard isn't re-signed.

Cunning fills a role for QC that others can't. He provides energy by hitting anything that moves and he'll likely get one more contract to see if he can earn a 4th line spot eventually.

As far as a lineup I'm predicting:
Chucko-Stevenson(or defacto AHL/NHL vet)-Germyn
Prust-Peters-Maki
Donally-Sutter-VanderGulik
Cunning-Carpentier-Armstrong

*Cracknell is not a good enough skater or defensive player to crack McGill's lineup. He's got AHL calibre offense but unless he has improved he'll stay in the ECHL.
*If Watt can keep his head he may be useful at the AHL level, but he's too undisciplined currently.
*Couture's likely gone unless Sutter deems a body is necessary.
* I'm still hopeful Didomete was signed. He could be a nice Prust clone.
**McGill opted for 11 forwards commonly during Omaha's second season. I can see a battle between Carpentier and Armstrong for the 11th forward spot nightly.

Pardy-Ramholt
Palin-Pelech
Baldwin-Cole
Vegas call up

Keetley
Irving/Lalande
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
Tilley

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like a list of 4th liners. Who in there could show some Moss type upside and pop some goals in? Cracknell?
Unless Ryder comes back scoring is going to be by committee. I'm still optimistic about Chucko if he can get his head right, otherwise Van der Gulik or one of the new guys (Carpentier or Armstrong) will have to step it up.

A couple of years ago Hamilton won the Calder Cup without much natural scoring talent. With an improved defense and a year of experience under Keetley and Lalande's belts this team could be very difficult to score against. I think this team will be good enough to make the playoffs next year and could do some real damage if a couple of the forwards can turn the corner.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Unless Ryder comes back...
Forget him. He's done. He's missed a season of competitive hockey and skill development. This is a kid whose commitment was suspect even at the junior level.

He'd be a long-shot for a position on an ECHL squad at this point. And that's if he could be lured back. The presence of his sister and pal Adam Pardy in Quad City was not enough of a support network, so one can reasonably assume that a brother in Calgary would neither.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Tilley

Exp:

Didn't mean to sound optimistic, rather an attempt to illustrate the lack of offensive talent on the QC squad currently.

I'm more optimistic that Sutter may be able to coerce an undrafted college free agent or another European to join the fold to provide more fire power.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

as for goddard, if he isn't on the big squad he is gone.

I hope he is replaced by someone more willing. You can bet that Keenan will have a fighter though - always does. It will be just one for the entire org and we won't need a goon in QC. In QC you'll see another Prust type. In Calgary ..... Laraque?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
chris lindberg
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are Carpentier and Armstrong the only prospects coming in this season, what about Negrin, perhaps Backlund (NHL?)
Does Seitsonen need a new contract?
chris lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lindberg View Post
Are Carpentier and Armstrong the only prospects coming in this season, what about Negrin, perhaps Backlund (NHL?)
Does Seitsonen need a new contract?
Watt is another one that's locked up for next season.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote