Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:
wranglers Kolanos Scores Twice As Flames Cap Season With A Win (qc Flames)

KOLANOS SCORES TWICE AS FLAMES CAP SEASON WITH A WIN
Flames Go 38-32-3-7 in Inaugural Season
Date: 04/13/08

The Flames 2007-08 season concluded on Sunday in San Antonio with a thrilling 4-3 win. Krys Kolanos scored twice in the win to reach the 30-goal plateau for the season. Cam Cunning and Kris Chucko also scored. The Flames finish the season with an unbeaten mark in their last four games (3-0-1-0). The team capped their inaugural season with a record of 38-32-3-7.

In the opening period, San Antonio hopped in front 1-0 on a breakaway goal by Cam Paddock. Following a Quad City turnover, David Spina tipped the puck ahead to Paddock who beat Flames netminder Curtis McElhinney on the breakaway to put the Rampage in front. The Flames answered with a breakaway goal of their own at 11:58 of the first frame. Warren Peters hit Krys Kolanos with an outlet pass as Kolanos was exiting the penalty box. Kolanos went in alone and scored to tie the game at one. San Antonio’s Matt Murley scored his 21st goal of the year with just 15 seconds left in the first frame to give the Rampage a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

The teams traded goals in the middle frame as Cam Cunning scored for Quad City and David Spina responded for the Rampage. Cunning’s goal came after he tipped a point shot by Gord Baldwin. The tally was the 11th of the year for the hard-nosed forward. Spina scored after tipping a centering pass from Matt Murley on the Flames net. McElhinney made the initial save before Spina converted on the rebound. The teams skated off for the second intermission with the Rampage leading 3-2.

The Flames mounted a third period comeback that produced the team’s 38th win of the year. Kris Chucko scored by tipping a point shot from Tim Ramholt past Montoya. Four and a half minutes later, Krys Kolanos scored on a wraparound to give the Flames the lead for the first time at 4-3.

The Quad City Flames would like to thank their fans and corporate partners for their fantastic support during the team’s inaugural season. Flames hockey will return to the i wireless Center this October. Keep checking qcflames.com for updates during the summer.

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its been a great season!!! I can saw that I have only seen the guys lose once on the road! and that was in milwaukee.

Is it October yet?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default QC Flames come-from-behind to snag season finale (QC Online)

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco....php?id=382635

At least we finished in 6th place instead of 7th. I need to look for the little victories.

Finishing ahead of Peoria means a lot to the fans, I believe, because we have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. Our first year in the same league as them, and we finish ahead, is good.

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Flames go out smokin' (QC Times)

http://qctimes.com/articles/2008/04/...c448023680.txt

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering why has Chucko produced more offense in the past 6 games than any other stretch thsi season?

Was it b/c so many of the other players disapoeared, was he used in different situation b/c they weren't going to make the playoffs? Whats up the little hot streak?

Scoring leaders for last month of season. Forwards only.

PHP Code:
Name            GP PTS 
VanDerGulik      8 
Chucko           8 
Germyn           8 
Kolanos          8 
Stevenson        8 
Peters           8 
Prust            7 
Couture          8 
Cunning          8 
Maki             8 

Man not alot of production from the veteran forwards in the last month of the season. Stevensons 3pts really stands out as a poor performance and Kolanos 4pts isn't much better either considering these 2 guys are the top 2 forwards on the team, no?
Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

chucko has been playing with kolanos.

while, i rip on kolanos for not being a very defensive minded player, he is a great passer and manages to find people in front of the net.

ironically, the home games i saw recently, chucko could have had twice the points had he not flubbed up so much. i have never seen someone get hit with so many great passes right in front of the net and end up with so few goals.

i think the lines late season with kolanos and stevenson spending time apart hurt stevensons point production some. part of it was he had a heck of a streak mid season and was bound to slow down sometime. also tons of their points were from the PP which tanked again at the end of the season.

i am actually interested in calgary folks opinion on whether they think the flames would take a chance on kolanos? maybe he would be best suited to go back to europe who knows... he did score 30 goals though. not too bad of a year.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dobbles dont forget he has 15 games less than anyone else. stevenson has been there all year and Circle K was only a couple of goals behind him.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i realize that. he definitely had the best ppg. he is an offensively gifted guy, thats for sure. heck, the fact he could get a few goals for kris 'stone hands' chucko is a good testament to that. though actually didn't they finish tied in goals at 30?

but thats what i am wondering. would calgary take a chance on a guy who was hands down the best offensive player on their ahl team?

p.s. PIMking - i sent you a message the other night, did you get it?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I dont have her number for the seats but im sure that they will be available.

I cant remember if stevenson has 30 or 31 goals. but I wish that they would move Circle K to the wing so hes not a centre and such a defensive void for the back check. well we will see he was in Calgarys training camp this year maybe they will give him a 2 way but i really doubt that.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
chucko has been playing with kolanos.

while, i rip on kolanos for not being a very defensive minded player, he is a great passer and manages to find people in front of the net.

ironically, the home games i saw recently, chucko could have had twice the points had he not flubbed up so much. i have never seen someone get hit with so many great passes right in front of the net and end up with so few goals.

i think the lines late season with kolanos and stevenson spending time apart hurt stevensons point production some. part of it was he had a heck of a streak mid season and was bound to slow down sometime. also tons of their points were from the PP which tanked again at the end of the season.

i am actually interested in calgary folks opinion on whether they think the flames would take a chance on kolanos? maybe he would be best suited to go back to europe who knows... he did score 30 goals though. not too bad of a year.

Well I don't watch the QC Flames games so i do not get to see what is going on and have to interpret what I can through stats which doesn't say to much. So at first glance I see Chucko has 4 goals in the last month and Kolanos only has 1 assist so i wondered who was setting him up?

I was just wondering if there was a reason Chucko was put on Kolanos's line. Was it strictly b/c there was nobode else is willing to go to the net? If his hands are so bad then this is a really bad sign for the other wingers on the Flames team that have better hands but are unwilling or unable to go to the net. Maybe the ability to go to the net is often underrated by hockey fans in general. I know myself I don't really put much thought into the skill level that may or may not be needed to stand in front of the net effectively....maybe this aspect of the game needs alittle more thought.

Also another aspect of having to have some sort of skill at going to the net. A scout way back during Chuckos draft year made a comment that one of Chucko's weaknesses was that even though he is great at going to the net and scoring from in close he to often gets in the way of the shot. Funny that you said alot of pucks seem to hit him in front of the net, maybe he should of been a defenseman..lol
Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i am not sure what the reasoning was behind the line changes. perhaps all the times we got shut out just had the coach mixing everyone up. especially since we got eliminated with a week or so left, it gave them more reasoning to experiment. who knows. you will have to ask someone who has more info than i about that i guess.