Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Shaw PVR's

I'm looking through their website trying to find a non-HD PVR but can't seem to find one.
i know they used to have offer one for 325, does anyone know if they still offer that box?
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
I'm looking through their website trying to find a non-HD PVR but can't seem to find one.
i know they used to have offer one for 325, does anyone know if they still offer that box?
I was just at teh shaw store on cemetary hill the other day and asked about their non hd pvrs. She flat out told me that it was cheaper to buy from an electronics store than from them... FWIW. Though I haven't investigated that claim yet.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My former roomate just picked one up from the northland future shop for 300$. It was the last one they had though. So they do sell them. They also sell tivo's if you're interested. 100$ less, but there is a montly fee.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I got mine at the Future Shop on Macleod. A bit cheaper then what Shaw sells them for (difference of like $20-30).
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you don't need the hd...you could also look into a dvd recorder with a hdd.

i have a buddy who raves about his. i think it is a samsung.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Yeah, but then you are dealing with 2 remotes; one to change channels and another to control the DVR. Yes a universal remote will do many functions of another device, but to me its a PITA.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like I've decided to just get the HD PVR in anticipation of buying a new TV in the next few months.

Thaanks for the tips CP!
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
It looks like I've decided to just get the HD PVR in anticipation of buying a new TV in the next few months.

Thaanks for the tips CP!

You won't be disappointed. Excellent move!
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
^^ Yeah, but then you are dealing with 2 remotes; one to change channels and another to control the DVR. Yes a universal remote will do many functions of another device, but to me its a PITA.
I completely agree except that without buying one of the Logitech (nee Harmony) remotes or something similar you end up with 2 anyways at a minimum. Throw in a gaming console and you have 3 or more.

It is a total PITA as you say.

I am just about ready to move to a new receiver and at that time I will be getting one of those remotes because while I can handle all of the various units...it is crazy for other household members who just want to watch American Idol or America's Top Model or whatever those shows are called who then end up just using the audio on the tv because that's what they care to figure out.

but good to see the move to an hdpvr...we have one and i don't think I could remove it from the house if i tried.

My wife and eldest daughter told me that i could take away the hd and they wouldn't mind...but not the pvr. for me...i like the pause on flames games when i have to break for 15 minutes or whatever but i could give that up if i had to for the hd.

but we still have 2 remotes!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #10
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Harmony remotes are a godsend. Every wife would appreciate one.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Harmony remotes are a godsend. Every wife would appreciate one.
actually most people don't realize just how many features the Shaw remote has. it may not look as fancy, but it can do most of the things that a lot of the more expensive universal remotes can. i have mine controlling my HDPVR, TV, receiver, DVD player, and even my XBOX 360. that last one's the neatest, as there is no published remote code that i found anywhere for the 360. but after setting the Shaw remote to code search (and about 20 tries) it did find the code and now i use the 360 to play movies stored on my PC through my big TV
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
actually most people don't realize just how many features the Shaw remote has. it may not look as fancy, but it can do most of the things that a lot of the more expensive universal remotes can. i have mine controlling my HDPVR, TV, receiver, DVD player, and even my XBOX 360. that last one's the neatest, as there is no published remote code that i found anywhere for the 360. but after setting the Shaw remote to code search (and about 20 tries) it did find the code and now i use the 360 to play movies stored on my PC through my big TV
That's pretty cool, didn't know it could do that. If I didn't enjoy the one button feature of the Harmony, I would use that remote.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
do you remember the code for the 360? I stream as well but would like to make it easier for the family!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
if you don't need the hd...you could also look into a dvd recorder with a hdd.

i have a buddy who raves about his. i think it is a samsung.
I have a both SD and HD Shaw PVR boxes, but currently am living out of town (so on Star CHoice) I am forced to use a DVD recorder and I would rather cut off my own leg then to rely on it to record something. Unless the DVD recorder has a series record option, there is no way it can compare.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
do you remember the code for the 360? I stream as well but would like to make it easier for the family!
i never found out what it was. when you set the remote to code search and it finds something, you just program it from there, it doesn't actually tell you what the code is. it took me around 20 or so tries, so if you just in front of your 360 for 5 minutes using the code search function you should be able to find it as well

the only issue though is that since the 360 functions so much differently than your standard tv/dvd player, a lot of the buttons aren't automatically mapped. if you can get access to an actual 360 remote, then you can put it and the Shaw remote facing each other and the Shaw remote can learn the missing functions button by button. that's what i ended up doing and it works great
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i never found out what it was. when you set the remote to code search and it finds something, you just program it from there, it doesn't actually tell you what the code is. it took me around 20 or so tries, so if you just in front of your 360 for 5 minutes using the code search function you should be able to find it as well

the only issue though is that since the 360 functions so much differently than your standard tv/dvd player, a lot of the buttons aren't automatically mapped. if you can get access to an actual 360 remote, then you can put it and the Shaw remote facing each other and the Shaw remote can learn the missing functions button by button. that's what i ended up doing and it works great
thanks! i will give this a shot later this week. i have a buddy who has the official remote for the 360 so I should be able to get this to happen.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I have a both SD and HD Shaw PVR boxes, but currently am living out of town (so on Star CHoice) I am forced to use a DVD recorder and I would rather cut off my own leg then to rely on it to record something. Unless the DVD recorder has a series record option, there is no way it can compare.
that bad eh? wow. this guy I know carries on about it being da bomb but you make an excellent point. a dvd recorder is kinda a dumb terminal...whereas a cable/satellite provider obviously passes some content information to enable this.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #18
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw is bringing out a new dual tuner HD PVR for $448. Coming to Alberta and BC in April so hold onto your money a little longer.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2374/206/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Shaw is bringing out a new dual tuner HD PVR for $448. Coming to Alberta and BC in April so hold onto your money a little longer.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2374/206/
That's great news. I wonder if my current Dual Tuner HDPVR goes kaput, will Shaw replace it with a new one? One can only hope.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The product is not currently listed on the Shaw website but several Digital Home readers have told us, they have ordered there new PVR's and expect to have them installed this weekend.
Any guesses as to this quote and whether that is for Alberta customers and any follow up to that?
This is actually annoying news. The wife has just given the green light to get one of these so I need to act now, not wait for a couple of months until she's cooled on the deal!
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.

Last edited by Flame On; 03-17-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote