Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Raptors at .500

I'm really enjoying watching this team this year. It's frustrating as hell when they play poorly against bad teams, or play great against great teams but can't quite close the deal, but at the same time, they've exceeded my expectations. Hell, there were some sports writers who predicted that Toronto wouldn't get to 22 wins this season, let alone at the half-way mark.

But the thing I really like about this team is the attitude of the guys: nobody has a big ego, most of the guys are hard working, and it's generally a team-first atmosphere. If these guys were hockey players, they'd be exactly the type of team that Canadians love (and the exact opposite of what many Canadians think of when they think of basketball players). When Ford returned to the lineup last night, he suggested to Mitchell that Calderon should start the game since he had played so well of late - that's a great indication of the attitude on the team.

Anyway, here's hoping that they finish first in the atlantic (and last amongst all playoff teams so that they can retain their draft pick this year); with the way the east is, any team that makes the playoffs can put together a decent run, and the way the raps play on home-court, a home-court advantage in the first round would be huge.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm interested to see where this goes.

TOR will likely have to win the Atlantic to get a playoff spot. 6 teams have a better record, and NJ and MIA could easily jump over the Raptors too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm interested to see where this goes.

TOR will likely have to win the Atlantic to get a playoff spot. 6 teams have a better record, and NJ and MIA could easily jump over the Raptors too.

I disagree.

I see Miami coming back and getting a playoff spot, there getting healthy and will get good again. They will grab the 6th seed in my mind

New Jersey, is playing well but can Kidd and Carter carry this team all year. I say yes but it will be a bumpy road for them. They will make the playoffs as the 4th or 7th seed.

Indiana or Orlando will be the teamt that takes the #8 seed.

The Raptors will make the playoffs as the 4th or 7th seed.

The Raptors will not have to win the Atlantic to make the playoffs, however they want to as its a #4 seed.

Using the standings below the raps are only a game to game and a half back of those two teams
Indiana 24-21
Orlando 24-22
Toronto 23-23

Last edited by KTown; 02-01-2007 at 12:22 PM.
KTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Only thing better then the raptors making the playoffs is beating out vince to get there.

Bosh was sick last night
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Probably a really dumb question but shouldnt the Raptors be 3rd since they are leading the division? I see cleveland at 3rd but also other teams are better than the Raptors. Might be different in the Nba i guess. Can someone clarify

thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Probably a really dumb question but shouldnt the Raptors be 3rd since they are leading the division? I see cleveland at 3rd but also other teams are better than the Raptors. Might be different in the Nba i guess. Can someone clarify

thanks
Each conference in the NBA has 4 divisions as opposed to the three in hockey, so because the Raps are leading their division but have the worst record among division leaders...they are in 4th.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^ actaully there are only 6 divisions like the NHL.
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The NBA made a change that ranks the top 4 teams as the 3 divisional leaders + the next best record. Meaning that a divisonal winner is not guaranteed a top 3 postition but it does guarantee top 4.

Under this system the Flames would be 4th with the Wings in 3rd
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
The NBA made a change that ranks the top 4 teams as the 3 divisional leaders + the next best record. Meaning that a divisonal winner is not guaranteed a top 3 postition but it does guarantee top 4.

Under this system the Flames would be 4th with the Wings in 3rd
Yeah, it was basically done to ensure that the top two regular-season teams will not meet in the play until the conference finals at the earliest... this system was adopted after one season where the top two teams -- Dallas and San Antonio -- met in the conference semifinals. So being the second-best team in the division nets you a #2 seed, regardless of whether you win your division or not.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quite the month for Raps:

The Raptors swept the NBA's monthly Eastern Conference awards, with forward Chris Bosh taking player-of-the-month honours, seven-footer Andrea Bargnani named the East's rookie of the month and Sam Mitchell earning its top coaching nod.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=194513&hubname=
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Yeah, not really a basketball fan, but I've noticed that the Raptors are well above expectations and being .500 at this point in the season is something that few anticipated. They're division is absolutely terrible which seems odd because these are some big markets having bad teams. Hopefully they're the only tenant of the ACC who get any playoff dates this year.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Chris Bosh is great to watch, I hope the Raps enjoy some success so that he enjoys his time there and ends up resigning when his new contract is over (4 years? 5?)

Bargnani has been something else, I was doubtful when he got drafted but I think the Raps did well in getting him, and Ford has been good as well, though giving up Villanueva was difficult.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Chris Bosh is great to watch, I hope the Raps enjoy some success so that he enjoys his time there and ends up resigning when his new contract is over (4 years? 5?)

Bargnani has been something else, I was doubtful when he got drafted but I think the Raps did well in getting him, and Ford has been good as well, though giving up Villanueva was difficult.
Ford has been great up until his injury, but Calderon who struggled last year has just picked up his game and run with it. Nice to have 2 very good PGs now.

One of the players I'm most impressed with is Parker, he is a very good defender and plays a purely team game. Has almost no selfishness what so ever, which is rare for an NBA player.

But yeah, I'm enjoying watching this team. I also love Chuck and Leo, Salami and Cheese just cracks me up.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add another to loving the team. I do think they're overachieving, but who cares - they're winning! If you look around the NBA, the teams that win are the ones that have absolutely no guys on the team with a huge ego - Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio. Detroit with Wallace may be an exception, but he's stayed quiet recently. This team is looking really good. If only they could get a superstar forward like Gasol or Stojakovic sans injuries, this team would be spectacular.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
If only they could get a superstar forward like Gasol or Stojakovic sans injuries, this team would be spectacular.

The only way they're getting Pau is if they trade Bosh. I wouldn't trade for Peja... He's passed his prime. They need a true, swingman. Someone defensively sound and a dangerous, 3-point threat. Sure, you're looking at Ray Allen (who ain't coming to Toronto) but that what you're looking for if you're Bryan Colangelo.
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I remember seeing a highlight of Bargnani driving to the hole, going baseline on a guard and dunking it on a power forward. I was impressed. I just didn't think he would be this effective, thhis early. I thought he would've taken a few years.
True. Villanueva was tough to swallow, but Bargnani and Bosh's all-star season along with TJ's control of the offence has made it easier.
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Yeah, ESPN's Insider rumors section has been harping for some time that the Raps would have to give up Bosh to get Pau ... don't really see that happening.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can someone fill me in on what the deal is with Raps maybe or maybe not losing their next first round pick ?

I also really enjoy watching this years edition of the Raps. Especially because I think they will probably get better over next few years.
CB4, Bargnani, Ford, Calderon still being fairly young, improving and building chemistry. I really like Parker too, most consistent player this year in my books. Rasha not bad for his role and salary. Garbajosa is consistent too as in great defence but lousy shooting.
Too bad no-one of MoPete, Jones, Humphries, Graham have is getting it to a higher level.
I imagine the GM and Assistant GM are planning a many for one swap and/or to fill one or two of those spots with Euros some future year.... especially if we are losing a first round pick.
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #19
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What a great week-end for us raps and Flames fans

Raps tonight @ 5:30
Flames tonight @ 7:00p
Flames vs Nucks tommorrow @8pm
Raptors 10am on Sunday
Superbowl 4pm Sunday

Who else is going to be glued to the tube this week-end?
KTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another good win for the Raps over the Clipps today. Dominated from start to finish...season high in points with 122...team 3 point shooting was amazing today.....this team is for real.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote