Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Sportsnet announces mutli year regional media rights deal with the Flames and Oilers

https://media.sportsnet.ca/2021/01/s...monton-oilers/

Quote:
Continuing its long-standing partnership in bringing world-class entertainment to hockey fans in Alberta and across Canada, Sportsnet today announced a multi-year regional broadcast rights extension with the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

Building on a landmark agreement that established Sportsnet as the regional broadcaster of the Oilers and Flames for the past 10 years, Canada’s #1 destination for hockey will continue to deliver exclusive regional coverage of Alberta’s NHL franchises.

“As Canada’s home of hockey, we celebrate the passion Western Canadian fans have for these storied franchises and are proud to have the responsibility and privilege as their media partner,” said Bart Yabsley, President, Sportsnet. “Continuing our strong partnership with the Oilers and Flames is instrumental in our ongoing commitment to delivering the best hockey content and uniting Canadians through the game they love.”

In addition to regional rights, Sportsnet is also the national NHL broadcast rightsholder in Canada, making the network the home to every Flames and Oilers regular season game and all Stanley Cup Playoffs appearances. Televised regional broadcasts remain available to viewers in Alberta and Saskatchewan on Sportsnet West, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet Oilers. Sportsnet’s coverage of the Flames and Oilers will also be available to stream regionally on SN NOW or nationally on SN NOW+ and NHL LIVE.*

“Oilers fans deserve the very best television broadcast possible – from production to technology, analysis and innovation, we know Sportsnet is committed to working with us to make our content a best in class experience that is true to what Oil Country hockey is all about,” said Tom Anselmi, Business President & COO, Oilers Entertainment Group. “Sportsnet has been a trusted partner for the past decade in delivering Oilers hockey to our fans and we are thrilled to continue our relationship for the next four years.”

“As we near the start of the 2021 NHL season with great anticipation, today’s broadcast partnership announcement with Sportsnet is ideal timing for Flames fans; so excited to see their team return to play in the newly formed North Division,” said Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation President and CEO John Bean. “We are very proud of our long-standing relationship with Sportsnet and are extremely pleased to be able to inform the C of Red that with our new agreement, they will not miss a moment of Flames action this season. Sportsnet continues to be leading-edge in delivering the very best television and radio hockey experience for Albertans and all Canadians.”

With the 2020-21 NHL season set to get underway January 13, Sportsnet will announce its full regional and national broadcast schedules in the coming days.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Just keep Ball, Hrudey, and Campbell, and I'm okay with it

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Flames now announce it too

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346889628813455362

Old 01-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren't perfect but as someone who remembers the days of not all games televised I'm good with Sportsnet and will add them back to my cable next week
Old 01-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

No surprise IMO. SN is taking a bath on their national deal but are probably doing ok with the regional stuff.

I dont see any term listed any where but wouldnt be surprised that these deals expire at the same time as the national level.

At that point they do a thorough review of the whole thing before going after it again. It was an ambitious bid the first time with expectations of things happening that simply didnt. Fool me once and all that.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finally!
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hrudey sucks. He is the worst. My dog would be a better option and she died in October.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was kind of hoping for TSN but whatever.

Say, can we have less McDavid talk on our broadcasts that aren't a BOA this go around?

We're rivals, not an extension of Edmonton. Please and ####ing thank you.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Hrudey sucks. He is the worst. My dog would be a better option and she died in October.
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Hey man, I could call you wrong for this take but I'll settle for calling you Hrud.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would have been cheesed if Cuthbert came from TSN to sportsnet just in time for the Flames to go from Sportsnet to TSN
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ballin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Oilers fans deserve the very best television broadcast possible – from production to technology, analysis and innovation, we know Sportsnet is committed to working with us to make our content a best in class experience that is true to what Oil Country hockey is all about,” said Tom Anselmi, Business President & COO, Oilers Entertainment Group.
<< snicker >>
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hrudey has a bad take from time to time but overall he’s a pretty solid option. I like his attitude and having met him a few times he’s a really good person too.

It could be way worse. Kevin Quinn and Drew Remenda are prime examples.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nded on the Hrudey being an excellent person when you meet him comments. Great for a chat.

I think he's a good commentator too. Way better than the shmucks they have up here in Edmonton.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #15
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

We probably take Hrudey for granted all things considered.

Does no one remember Kerr & Simmer?

shudder
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #16
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the previous agreement? $18M/year?

I wonder if this one was higher, lower or the same

I bet higher since it seems like live sporting events rights are going up

Look at how much WWE got for Raw and Smakdown

And rumours that the NHL will get $600-$800M per year once their national US rights expire after the season. That is a huge jump from the current $200M
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #17
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bleh.

Give me more Rick Ball, yes, but I could do without Hrudey and espeeeecially Cassie.

Leah Hextall, though... now she's someone I could listen to more often.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does TSN even bid on covering these teams?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #19
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kerr and Simmer was like having your senile uncles read bedtime stories to you as you're trying to watch a hockey game.

Ball and Hrudey are a great pair.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is disappointing from a technical point of view, as I feel that the quality of their broadcasts have been terrible.

But Bell and Hrudey are among the best local tandems in the league. CCP gets better every game too.

And yes, please bring back Leah.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: