Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Counterfeit Jerseys?

Interesting article on TSN today:

http://www.tsn.ca/faking-it-cracking...feits-1.200279

Obviously this isn't a new issue (been seeing those pinky-red fakes at the Dome for years) but still interesting nonetheless. Just curious what everyone's take is - is there a "legitmate" market niche for counterfeits, (like guys buying them to play road hockey in instead of trashing their $400 game weight jerseys) or should they be avoided at all costs? Anyone own any? I've heard lots of arguments both ways, just curious what CP's take is...
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Knock Offs

You can buy (and I have) everything from a knock off Rolex to Gucci bags to Nike shoes, Oakleys and Pro V 1's, it just shows you how the maket is driven by brand names. As far as the jerseys go, if they were not so over priced the market for knock offs would not be so strong. My question is why a lettered jersey costs $325.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
You can buy (and I have) everything from a knock off Rolex to Gucci bags to Nike shoes, Oakleys and Pro V 1's, it just shows you how the maket is driven by brand names. As far as the jerseys go, if they were not so over priced the market for knock offs would not be so strong. My question is why a lettered jersey costs $325.
They're actually $135 for non-lettered or $225 for lettered. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing an red-pink knock off and I always chuckle when I see them at the dome.

If you can't afford a real jersey then buy a t shirt or hoodie.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i guess i would not buy an unauthorized product from the internet mostly becasue it seems odd to possibly give some money or your credit card info to someone selling an unauthorized product - i am assuming that these companies don't have customer service departments willing to help you out if there is an issue

as an aside, i think that TSN is on the right track with this type of prgramming. in the sports world there are a lot of interesting stories waiting to be told

Last edited by Northendzone; 02-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
They're actually $135 for non-lettered or $225 for lettered. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing an red-pink knock off and I always chuckle when I see them at the dome.

If you can't afford a real jersey then buy a t shirt or hoodie.
$250 for the jersey and $80 for the lettering = $330 on nhl.com
http://shop.canada.nhl.com/product/i...y_bestsell_txt
Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i guess i would not buy an unauthorized product from the internet mostly becasue it seems odd to possibly give some money or your credit card info to someone selling an unauthorized product - i am assuming that these companies don't have customer service departments willing to help you out if there is an issue
It is pretty much amazon, just as legit as nearly any other online shopping website.

http://www.aliexpress.com/

That being said i would not buy anything like elctronics where there could be safety issues or give anything as a gift knowing that it is not authentic.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-05-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
$250 for the jersey and $80 for the lettering = $330 on nhl.com
http://shop.canada.nhl.com/product/i...y_bestsell_txt
That's for the authentic jersey...the quote above is for the 'semi-pro' jersey. And as far as just repping your team is concerned, there is no reason to spend the extra $100 for a jersey that has better material and a fight strap.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Counterfeit is better than our actual third jerseys.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As far as the jerseys go, if they were not so over priced the market for knock offs would not be so strong. My question is why a lettered jersey costs $325.
I hate this argument for two reasons. First if you can't afford something (or perceive the price is too high), then that doesn't give you the right to go buy an unauthorized version of it. If you value the way something looks so much, then the person who created it deserves to be compensated. Buying a knockoff is trying to fit in, but basically stealing. Just buy a shirt for $20 from the store that will last longer, look better, and give the money to the people who own the licenses and trademarks. It's the same as sneaking in booze to a game. I think Bentleys are too expensive so I buy cars I can afford. I'm not going to the black market for a knockoff.

Secondly, is jerseys don't have to cost $300-$400. During the Boxing Day sale I bought a crested authentic Gaudreau jersey for $265. I think the Premier versions were $145. I have bought authentic jerseys uncrested at the year end sale for $100. There was a thread on here about jerseys at Sport Chek for $25. If you shop around, are patient, and/or use coupons or Scene Points, you don't have to pay $400 for a jersey.

Jerseys are not an essential purchase. You are not required to wear one. Knockoff jerseys, watches, bags, etc. look stupid and basically scream out that you want to be part of the club, but you aren't. If you say you don't care and just like it, you're kidding yourself. I also don't feel bad for the people that spend hundreds on tickets, drink five beers during the game at $9 each and then say the jersey prices are too high. Why not buy a jersey instead of the beers? When I couldn't afford a jersey I didn't buy one. I waited until I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Problem is people are comparing the fakes to authentics (which run in the $300+ range). These are the same jerseys which the players wear on ice.

In reality, no one buys the real authentics. At least I don't know anyone with one. I don't even really know where to buy them other than special order. None of the retailers like Sport Chek or Jersey City carry them as a stock item.

The comparison should be verses the replica jerseys which always retail for about $129 with no cresting, or about $225 with cresting.

As others have mentioned, you can always find them for cheaper. You can get these online at Costco right now.

http://www.costco.ca/Officially-Lice...d=10302&refine=

$149 for an Premier Adult Reebok replica is more than reasonable.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel sorry for people when I see them wearing a fake jersey -- I'm guessing they either thought they were getting the real thing, or they know its a fake but assume it's the same as what you see in stores. Little do they know that they are wasting their money on a vastly inferior product (and supporting an illegal industry to boot).

In the TSN article, they state that it costs less than $20 to buy a fake jersey from China. Assuming that's correct, out of the $75 you paid the guy at the flea market or on kijiji, $55 went into the pocket of the greasy seller and $20 covered the cost of your "jersey". You know, the one with the wrong font, cheap materials and crappy workmanship that people "in the know" can spot from across the room.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I hate this argument for two reasons. First if you can't afford something (or perceive the price is too high), then that doesn't give you the right to go buy an unauthorized version of it. If you value the way something looks so much, then the person who created it deserves to be compensated. Buying a knockoff is trying to fit in, but basically stealing. Just buy a shirt for $20 from the store that will last longer, look better, and give the money to the people who own the licenses and trademarks. It's the same as sneaking in booze to a game. I think Bentleys are too expensive so I buy cars I can afford. I'm not going to the black market for a knockoff.

Secondly, is jerseys don't have to cost $300-$400. During the Boxing Day sale I bought a crested authentic Gaudreau jersey for $265. I think the Premier versions were $145. I have bought authentic jerseys uncrested at the year end sale for $100. There was a thread on here about jerseys at Sport Chek for $25. If you shop around, are patient, and/or use coupons or Scene Points, you don't have to pay $400 for a jersey.

Jerseys are not an essential purchase. You are not required to wear one. Knockoff jerseys, watches, bags, etc. look stupid and basically scream out that you want to be part of the club, but you aren't. If you say you don't care and just like it, you're kidding yourself. I also don't feel bad for the people that spend hundreds on tickets, drink five beers during the game at $9 each and then say the jersey prices are too high. Why not buy a jersey instead of the beers? When I couldn't afford a jersey I didn't buy one. I waited until I could.
Sorry for the slight derail, but I found the above arguments interesting when I slightly changed the wording (changes in bold below). Not meant to single out Squiggs - his argument just happened to strike me (I've made my anti-piracy views known on this board in the past). Obviously there are holes in the comparison, but thought I'd throw this out there.

Quote:
I hate this argument for two reasons. First if you can't afford something (or perceive the price is too high), then that doesn't give you the right to go buy an unauthorized version of it. If you value the way something entertains you so much, then the person who created it deserves to be compensated. Downloading a pirated movie is basically stealing. Just wait for the Blu-Ray that will last longer, look better, and give the money to the people who own the licenses and trademarks. It's the same as sneaking in booze to a movie. I think Bentleys are too expensive so I buy cars I can afford. I'm not going to the black market for a knockoff.

Secondly, is movie tickets don't have to cost $20. At Costco, I bought movie passes for 2 which include popcorn and drinks for $25. With a Scene card, I have gotten into movies for free. If you shop around, are patient, and/or use coupons or Scene Points, you don't have to pay $20 for a movie pass.

Movies are not an essential purchase. You are not required to see one. Pirating movies is stealing. If you say you don't care and just like it, you're kidding yourself. I also don't feel bad for the people that spend money on tickets, buy popcorn and a drink during the show at $15 and then say the movie prices are too high. Why not buy a movie pass instead of the food? When I couldn't afford a movie I didn't see one. I waited until I could.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Problem is people are comparing the fakes to authentics (which run in the $300+ range). These are the same jerseys which the players wear on ice.

In reality, no one buys the real authentics. At least I don't know anyone with one. I don't even really know where to buy them other than special order. None of the retailers like Sport Chek or Jersey City carry them as a stock item.

The comparison should be verses the replica jerseys which always retail for about $129 with no cresting, or about $225 with cresting.

As others have mentioned, you can always find them for cheaper. You can get these online at Costco right now.

http://www.costco.ca/Officially-Lice...d=10302&refine=

$149 for an Premier Adult Reebok replica is more than reasonable.
Whoa Whoo Whoa... I have two authentics(Pedestal, Heritage Classic), and the quality is 100X better than the semi pro Jerseys. You can find Authentic Jerseys at Fanattic and I use to get them at The Premier Sports in Marlborough Mall.

If you ever have an extra couple hundred for the Authentic, grab one...they are amazing.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're all on at least $100k.

There is no excuse for buying counterfeit jerseys - all of ours should be game worn.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Whoa Whoo Whoa... I have two authentics(Pedestal, Heritage Classic), and the quality is 100X better than the semi pro Jerseys. You can find Authentic Jerseys at Fanattic and I use to get them at The Premier Sports in Marlborough Mall.

If you ever have an extra couple hundred for the Authentic, grab one...they are amazing.
Ha ha. Sweet. You definitely have to go looking for 'em though.

I think I have seen an authentic only once in-person, and it was a 2010 Team Canada Olympic jersey.

And yes, the quality was a billion times better than the semi-pro, or replica ones.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hilarious, people acting as if they've never downloaded a movie or song.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone knows how much is the cost to produce a real replica jersey (the $135 ones)? I bet it will be the same cost as producing a fake.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'll out myself. I have one fake jersey (a Bruins one). It looks terrible and it's really easy to tell that it's fake. I really don't know why I ordered it. I guess I just wanted to see how they looked? Pretty dumb decision on my part, but it was only $30 so at least it was a cheap lesson.

It wasn't a complete waste of money since I wear it for street hockey, but I definitely won't buy one again. I'll stick to buying real ones now that I know better.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #19
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Anyone knows how much is the cost to produce a real replica jersey (the $135 ones)? I bet it will be the same cost as producing a fake.

my men's hockey team uses blank rbk 'replica' jerseys and they are $40 just for the jersey (we use the black ottawa thirds, the one with "SENS" on the front). they then need all the front/shoulder patches added + name & number

i know rbk has different tiers for cost and i believe the ones we use are in the highest for cost. i think a blank flames reto runs around $30-$35 (of course with no logos on it)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at the counterfeits the same way I look at any counterfeit merchandise, like watches or purses:

The vast majority of people don't give a damn one way or the other, so they're not going to be impressed by the supposedly high-end product that you got really cheaply, nor are they going to turn their noses up at you for buying a counterfeit.

The few people who would care about it will likely be able to spot your counterfeit product from a mile away and will scoff at you for thinking you have something special. If you're the type of person who goes around bragging about the great deal you got and how anyone who actually buys legitimate products are suckers, the people who care will be able to point out half a dozen things that make your "authentic" stand out as a knock-off.

Ignoring the morality and legality for a moment, my main concern with buying any counterfeit out of China would be the lack of quality control and complete lack of oversight to ensure that the products are actually safe to use and won't fall apart within two weeks. These are people who knowingly and willingly break the law. Why do you think they'll stop at trademark infringement?

The whole sales pitch on counterfeit merchandise is built around the idea that you're getting something worth $300 for only $50, but the reality is that you're really getting something worth $20 (or less) but paying $50 (or more) for it because it vaguely looks like something that costs $300.

You can buy a nice, high-quality, officially licensed Flames sweatshirt for $50 and be confident that it will survive a trip through the washing machine without the blacks turning grey and the reds turning pink. Flames T-shirts are even cheaper, and if all you want is to fit in with the C of Red, plain red shirts are cheaper still.

Tags
chicom crap , counterfeit , fakes , jerseys