Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Calgary schools

Earlier today, Jim Prentice announced $30.6 million for "starter schools" in Calgary to help alleviate overflowing attendance in certain areas. These schools won't have gymnasiums or libraries.

Reading some of the reaction and learning about the state of some of the schools in and around town was horrifying, especially as I have a son who's going to start in Kindergarten next year.

So I was wondering what the parents here do, and what you see in the schools. Are things really that bad? What about for the Catholic schools? Have parents pulled their kids out and sent them to private schools?

It's all a bit overwhelming so I'm curious what others have found.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I must admit that I'm confused by this plan, it seems like its a expensive bandage and not something that's well thought out.

If they're going to do that, then why not add modules to existing schools that have the existing infrastructures like Libraries and gyms etc. Then looks at the long term strategic construction of proper schools.

All this plan is going to lead to is the whole "Don't be mad at us, we're trying" while the pop down these kit car schools ad-nauseum.

Parents are going to ask the questions, why am I paying the fees for my kids to go to a cut rate mini-school that are the same as a kid that goes to schools with proper labs and gyms etc.

I think we should do the futurama thing and build a 30 or 40 story down town sky scraper that's a schools and workplace for all the children in this city.

Floors 0 through 12 can be for grades 0-6, floors 12 through 24 for middle school 7-9 and 24 through 36 for grades 10-12. We can use the underground parking spots for a super 3 story gym and parking floors 4-6 for a detention center.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had our oldest kid on the wait list for a charter school (I think our youngest has been renewed on the wait list.) The oldest started kindergarten this year and it appears as though our public school is quite good. It is an older facility and as such it could certainly use some work and updating but the program and teachers appear to be top notch. This is an early french immersion school.

My opinion is that it appears as though the alternative programs/schools under the CBE provide potentially better learning opportunities and smaller class sizes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I have really only experienced one school as a parent, but I would say relax. Our school isn't over-crowded at all, and there really aren't that many issues that are any different from when we were young and students ourselves.

Frankly, I feel like being an elementary school teacher might be the most forgiving and have the lightest schedule of anyone in the free world at times. I mean class at our school is from 8:25-11:45 (3h20min) and then 12:45 to 3:15 (3h 30min). You probably see where I'm going with this....but that's 6hr 50min if a teacher taught every period, all day. The marking at this level is either non-existent or incredibly simple. I feel like you could breeze through say 20 math worksheets in half an hour. I'm sure that there is some prep time involved, but they also have no school every Friday afternoon. So if somone was reasonably organized it should be pretty easy to work that horrific 6 hours a day.
(Braces for cover because of the impending "you have no idea" that is surely coming)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If they're going to do that, then why not add modules to existing schools that have the existing infrastructures like Libraries and gyms etc. Then looks at the long term strategic construction of proper schools.
I think the idea behind this is to put them up in the new communities that don't have an existing school so the kids don't have to be bused out of the community, especially in the early years.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I understand that. I think that busing is going to have to be a accepted practice.

I would probably feel that my kid was being robbed of certain opportunities and would probably demand busing.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The suburban schools are all overflowing I think. I've had people tell me they bought a house in a suburb a block from the elementary school only to find out when their kid hits Kindergarten that they have to drive them to the next neighborhood over. A friend of mine has 30 kids in her grade 4 classroom.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The school situation here is a nightmare. My sister bought a place in a neighbourhood a block and a half away from a school. Her kids won't be able to go there because it's full. A lot of the newer communities are not set up worth a crap. We lucked out in that we've got a Catholic school a block away. Being a heathen, I'm not crazy about the religion aspect of it but at least my kids have a place to go that isn't a 45 minute bus ride away.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
The suburban schools are all overflowing I think. I've had people tell me they bought a house in a suburb a block from the elementary school only to find out when their kid hits Kindergarten that they have to drive them to the next neighborhood over. A friend of mine has 30 kids in her grade 4 classroom.
Mine is a suburban school and I wouldn't describe as that way. There are about 30 kids in the two grade four classes, but I seem to recall about 30 when I was in grade 4 as well. It seems to have made no difference in the quality of the education or anything like that. Frankly I would describe the schooling as excellent.

The fundraising/fee practices are another story altogether, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the teaching or anything like that.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What about doing year round schooling schedules of some kind so that the facilities aren't basically abandoned during the summer months?
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The school situation here is a nightmare. My sister bought a place in a neighbourhood a block and a half away from a school. Her kids won't be able to go there because it's full. A lot of the newer communities are not set up worth a crap. We lucked out in that we've got a Catholic school a block away. Being a heathen, I'm not crazy about the religion aspect of it but at least my kids have a place to go that isn't a 45 minute bus ride away.
I couldn't imagine having to stick my kid on a bus for a 30 or 45 minute bus ride each way. Sure the kids don't mind and probably find it fun but it takes it toil on the kids and parents. My kid has a two block walk to school (can't do it on his own yet) or about 6/7 blocks if we wanted to go to the standard English program.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Tuscany schools are over capacity. There are 5 Grade 4 classes with about 30 kids in each class.

They are building a 4th school in the community for K-4 as well.

So there will be

- One K-3 school (existing Tuscany School)
- One K-9 school (existing St Basil School)
- One 4-9 school (existing Twelve Mile Coulee (TMC) School)
- One K-4 school (to be built in 2015)

The TMC school is only 2 years old and already over capacity. There is also no cafeteria, which seems like a really odd oversight. Grade 4 students are require to double up and share a locker.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
ruddstud
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I have really only experienced one school as a parent, but I would say relax. Our school isn't over-crowded at all, and there really aren't that many issues that are any different from when we were young and students ourselves.

Frankly, I feel like being an elementary school teacher might be the most forgiving and have the lightest schedule of anyone in the free world at times. I mean class at our school is from 8:25-11:45 (3h20min) and then 12:45 to 3:15 (3h 30min). You probably see where I'm going with this....but that's 6hr 50min if a teacher taught every period, all day. The marking at this level is either non-existent or incredibly simple. I feel like you could breeze through say 20 math worksheets in half an hour. I'm sure that there is some prep time involved, but they also have no school every Friday afternoon. So if somone was reasonably organized it should be pretty easy to work that horrific 6 hours a day.
(Braces for cover because of the impending "you have no idea" that is surely coming)
You are complete moron if you think that handing out math worksheets is all our teachers do.
ruddstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddstud View Post
You are complete moron if you think that handing out math worksheets is all our teachers do.
Thanks for the input! Where did I say that's all they do though? I was talking about their marking in elementary schools and using that as an example.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Mine is a suburban school and I wouldn't describe as that way. There are about 30 kids in the two grade four classes, but I seem to recall about 30 when I was in grade 4 as well. It seems to have made no difference in the quality of the education or anything like that. Frankly I would describe the schooling as excellent.

The fundraising/fee practices are another story altogether, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the teaching or anything like that.
30 kids is an issue when you have 2 with ADHD, 2 on the Autistic spectrum, and 20 that are ESL (English as a second language), which is a reality in many NE schools.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
30 kids is an issue when you have 2 with ADHD, 2 on the Autistic spectrum, and 20 that are ESL (English as a second language), which is a reality in many NE schools.

Do you have a source for this?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do you have a source for this?
He used the word many, which means he likely has no source other than some guy who sits next to him on the bus, or the guy across the alley who vented about his idiot kid one day when he was drunk, blaming it on the teacher. The fact that he indicated NE schools, as though people there had a corner on the disabilities he listed, serves to further indicate as much.

Of course, I could be making it all up.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suppose what's got me worried most of all is that I'm in the west end of town where two of these starter schools are being built, and I've heard stories from parents close by about some of the issues they face.

We're going to be attending a private school expo this weekend in town. It's something I wouldn't have imagined thinking about before, but we want to consider all options.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I suppose what's got me worried most of all is that I'm in the west end of town where two of these starter schools are being built, and I've heard stories from parents close by about some of the issues they face.

We're going to be attending a private school expo this weekend in town. It's something I wouldn't have imagined thinking about before, but we want to consider all options.

What are the issues/concerns you have that are causing you to consider private school?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Based on the numbers from last year for my kids school there were three grade four classes with 74 students (~25 per class.)

Tags
alberta government , education , prentice , schools