Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc... > Olympics
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Ongoing Sochi Issues Thread

Take with a grain of salt given it's gizmodo, but:

http://gizmodo.com/sochis-olympic-vi...ash-1512657018

That's pretty brutal if true.

Last edited by morgin; 02-05-2014 at 12:00 AM.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Distinct lack of snow, however I believe the IOC president will declare them the best games ever.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://m.imgur.com/a/I06yQ

Better photos to show that the venues at least look nice.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the Director of IT for Canada, hes been on site for 3 weeks. When he arrived he anticipated that all systems for the athletes and media would be ready to plug and play. He has been working 18 hour days actually making final connections and terminations to "attempt readiness". Says very little was terminated/completed. Many sites are not completed and will not likely be completed by the start...expect to see a lot of "window dressing".
The most poorly organized games he has seen.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Will Sochi be a disaster?

Not good for the media so far:

“@rcamcole: 3 a.m. Standing outside media hotel in rain. Zero organization, rooms not ready, confusion massive. Nice 1st impression, #Sochi14”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

They Olympics should only be held in countries that can ethically handle/afford it.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
They Olympics should only be held in countries that can ethically handle/afford it.
Like Montreal.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will it be a disaster? It already is. Incomplete construction, piles of garbage everywhere, destruction and displacement of local homes, environmental destruction, mistreatment of workers, threat of suicide bombings, corruption, homophobia...

$51 billion. Bejing and London cost $52 billion combined.

At least they are hard at work fixing the issue of stray dogs in the streets by setting poision traps.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Yeah, I have a pretty bad feeling there will be something really bad happen at these games. Russia is just too corrupt. I could see the possibility of terrorists simply bribing their way into the security perimeter.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Will it be a disaster? It already is. Incomplete construction, piles of garbage everywhere, destruction and displacement of local homes, environmental destruction, mistreatment of workers, threat of suicide bombings, corruption, homophobia...

$51 billion. Bejing and London cost $52 billion combined.

At least they are hard at work fixing the issue of stray dogs in the streets by setting poision traps.
And Beijing was already a bloated carcass which cost 3 times what London did.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the start of Vancouver there was a steady stream of bad press saying it was a terrible games.

A luger died
There was no snow for freestyle skiing/snowboard events
Tickets were being canceled,
The Chiefs of the Native Bands were stuck in traffic and missed most if the opening ceremonies
There was fear of protests shutting down transportation during the games
The torch being blocked off to spectators by tall fences making the area look like a un food station
Wayne Gretzkys ridicuous ride to light the torch
The torch leg failing to deploy

And it turned out to be a fantastic olympics.

I think their are issues in socchi but the media loves a disaster story so we should wait until the games at least start before condemning them

And in the Gizmodo article it appears the major issues are a lack of grass and missing side walks. If that is all the smear piece can find then they are probably in okay shape.

Last edited by GGG; 01-31-2014 at 08:17 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
At the start of Vancouver there was a steady stream of bad press saying it was a terrible games.

A luger died
There was no snow for freestyle skiing/snowboard events
Tickets were being canceled,
The Chiefs of the Native Bands were stuck in traffic and missed most if the opening ceremonies
There was fear of protests shutting down transportation during the games
The torch being blocked off to spectators by tall fences making the area look like a un food station
Wayne Gretzkys ridicuous ride to light the torch
The torch leg failing to deploy

And it turned out to be a fantastic olympics.

I think their are issues in socchi but the media loves a disaster story so we should wait until the games at least start before condemning them
Those concerns aren't even remotely comparable.

The Olympics scare me this year. It seems like everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Those concerns aren't even remotely comparable.

The Olympics scare me this year. It seems like everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Look at the gizmodo article that was designed to show how unprepared they were. It focused on garbage and grass, one unfinished hotel, and the volunteer housing. The big stuff got done.

Putin isnt going to allow the games to fail. People are overly worried due to some wierd combination of dislike of russia, old cold war politics, and a desire to see them fail. The media is definately anti russia so you need to look thruough that lens to interpret all stories
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Look at the gizmodo article that was designed to show how unprepared they were. It focused on garbage and grass, one unfinished hotel, and the volunteer housing. The big stuff got done.

Putin isnt going to allow the games to fail. People are overly worried due to some wierd combination of dislike of russia, old cold war politics, and a desire to see them fail. The media is definately anti russia so you need to look thruough that lens to interpret all stories
The pictures are cosmetic. The legimate concerns are exploding backpacks since the two terrorist hotbeds in Russia are closer to Sochi than they are to Volgograd.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seriously. Sochi is practically walking distance from Chechnya. I'm not sure if you've heard, but there have been some... unpleasantries... in the fairly recent past.

There are people in the region who think that the first day that elementary schools open is a good opportunity to have a running gun battle, round up all the kids into the school in a mass kidnapping, and then blow up the whole place, themselves, and the school, and the kids.

I'm not saying it'll for sure happen, but IF this Olympics is a disaster, it's not going to be because "there wasn't enough snow".
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The pictures are cosmetic. The legimate concerns are exploding backpacks since the two terrorist hotbeds in Russia are closer to Sochi than they are to Volgograd.
That's extremely unsettling, considering the attacks that happened last month. I expect pretty much every single counterterrorism special warfare unit around the world will be involved with security. JTF-2 helped to secure Vancouver 2010, I'd expect them to do the same this year.

Quote:
At least 14 people are reported to have been killed in an explosion on a trolleybus in the Russian city of Volgograd. The blast comes a day after a suspected suicide attack killed at least 17 people in the same city.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Thats not what the above article was about at all. It was just a smear piece on Russia not being ready

I think a terrorist event is a legitamate concern but then it wont be first terrorist attack on a games . Atlanta killed 2 injured 111, Munich killed 11 so it wont be the first olympics to face terrorist threats. Before London there was widespread reporting of terrorist strikes being immenant. The risk of a successful terrorist strike in Russia is probably only marginally higher than London was.

The media loves to incite panic.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Young-Sneezy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

is it just me, or does Russia look like an absolutely terrible place to be/live/visit?
Young-Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Young-Sneezy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well we all know that Russia will go nuclear with their military and profiling will be on the highest point.

With that being said this has atlanta and München all over again
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #20
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Sneezy View Post
is it just me, or does Russia look like an absolutely terrible place to be/live/visit?
In soviet russia country lives in you...