Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2013/2014 English Premier League Thread

I hope it's not too early to start this, but the fixtures came out this morning so I figured I would.

Tough start for United. @ Swansea, Chelsea, @ Liverpool, Crystal Palace, @ Man City. Could give Moyes' doubters a lot of ammo early on or it could shut them up.

On a related note, I'm going to be in London the weekend of Oct 5th so I was pleased to see a pretty good matchup of WHU @ Spurs come out for that weekend. Does anyone know when the final kick-off times/days are typically set? Want to make sure I don't plan something for Sunday and then find out the match was moved.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually closer to the date when the CL/Europa schedule comes out

some are easy to spot though

I can say right now that the 3rd week of the season

United/Liverpool and the NLD will likely be moved to sunday for Sky
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

November 2nd Cardiff/Swansea will be the early kick off on saturday
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
That's going to be a fun day for law enforcement
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Usually closer to the date when the CL/Europa schedule comes out

some are easy to spot though

I can say right now that the 3rd week of the season

United/Liverpool and the NLD will likely be moved to sunday for Sky
Not a sure thing anymore. For the first time since the establishment of the EPL, another broadcaster has first choice over a number of matches. There is a possibility that BT Sport may have first shot at one or both of those fixtures. If they do, then they will be broadcast mid day on Saturday.

Sky have 20 'first picks', BT have 18. But it seems that Sky pick which rounds (weeks) they get the first picks.

edit: Valo, you should find out pretty soon - certainly well ahead of your visit when the match takes place. If not broadcast live in the UK (it almost certainly will be broadcast) then kick-off will be 3pm Saturday (assuming Spurs don't play a Thursday Europa League game 2 days earlier).

If the match is televised, ko times will be 12:45 or 5:15 on Saturday or 1 (ish) or 4:05 Sunday or 8 PM Monday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...premier-league

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 06-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do you mean by 'kick off'?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Not a sure thing anymore. For the first time since the establishment of the EPL, another broadcaster has first choice over a number of matches. There is a possibility that BT Sport may have first shot at one or both of those fixtures. If they do, then they will be broadcast mid day on Saturday.

Sky have 20 'first picks', BT have 18. But it seems that Sky pick which rounds (weeks) they get the first picks.

edit: Valo, you should find out pretty soon - certainly well ahead of your visit when the match takes place. If not broadcast live in the UK (it almost certainly will be broadcast) then kick-off will be 3pm Saturday (assuming Spurs don't play a Thursday Europa League game 2 days earlier).

If the match is televised, ko times will be 12:45 or 5:15 on Saturday or 1 (ish) or 4:05 Sunday or 8 PM Monday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...premier-league
Forgot about BT you are right, but with it being rounds I think it's still going to end up being Sky with their 'SUPER SUNDAYS'

I would be surprised anytime there was a matchday with two games having top 6 clubs playing each other it didn't end up on Sky
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
What do you mean by 'kick off'?
ahaha good point. There's gonna be a few of those on Wales derby day.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read on a West Ham forum someone saying that according to the daily mail that Sky and BT will announce thief live broadcast schedule on July 8th. I can't find a link to this story.
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

As many of you know, Sportsnet and TSN now have a 50/50 split on EPL TV rights. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The schedule for August and September on TSN is now online: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/feature/?id=11259

Interestingly, there are a lot of days where they'll be showing four matches, and one day where they'll be showing five. The matches are split between TSN, TSN2, and TSN.ca. I wonder whether the TSN.ca matches will be free or require a special subscription?

Also, what does this mean for Sportsnet? In the past I have subscribed to Sportsnet World Online because it would guarantee me the ability to see every single Norwich game live. If it wasn't on TSN or Sportsnet, it would be on the online product. Sportsnet obviously has the rights to fewer games this year, so it will be interesting to see if they maintain the pricing of their online product, or reduce it to reflect the reduced schedule. Plus, with their acquisition of The Score, they now have SN, SN1, SN360 (The Score) on cable, plus SNWL as a premium channel.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Sportsnet have followed suit and have released their schedule: http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-de...league-season/

The kicker is that they're making 30 matches available "exclusively" on Sportsnet World Online. So even if you have the premium cable channel, and even though Sportsnet has a bunch of other cable channels, you'll still need to subscribe to the online product to see those 30 games live. I would hope that they'll reduce the price, because $25/month is a lot anyway, but especially considering there will be fewer Premier League matches available on it. I'd even settle for having the matches repeated on World later in the day like in past years.

Hopefully the TSN.ca matches that are available online are being done so for free, otherwise this new cable deal, with way more channel capacity, will result in two premium subscriptions to get the same amount of matches as past seasons.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is good. Pretty much every Spurs game is on TSN on Sportsnet, so I won't have to purchase SNWL until later in the season if at all.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 seems like a small amount over the season so I dont think that's too bad, it's less than 1 a week

it depends who you want to watch though

i.e I don't see any of the top 6 ever on the "online exclusive" and I imagine more than a few Palace games and other bottom of the table teams will be
Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ True. My main thing (as you're probably well aware of by now!!) is to see Norwich play live, which I have become accustomed to being able to do for the past few years. I can even swallow the $25/month for that, so as long as TSN isn't charging a premium for their online matches, I shouldn't whine too loudly as I'll be dropping the same amount of money each month. It will just be a bit frustrating if I'm paying the same price, for fewer total matches, and using it less often (due to TSN picking up more matches).

But, again, I'm forking out the same money for the "top priority" games. I was just hoping that more TV channels would mean less reliance on the premium stuff. But my folks come around with breakfast each week, so I can't cheap out and sacrifice the family tradition!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it over yet?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict .....

1. Chelsea
2. United
3. Spurs*
4. City
5. Arsenal

*If Bale stays. If not, then 5th.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sunderland/Fulham is the only match on Sportsnet World (channel 154 on shaw) this weekend??

Saturday matches:
5:45am - Liverpool/Stoke is on TSN (channel 21)
8:00am - Arsenal/Aston Villa is on Sportsnet (channel 27)
8:00am - Norwich/Everton is on TSN (channel 21)
8:00am - Sunderland/Fulham on Sportsnet World (channel 154)
8:00am - West Brom/Southampton does not appear to be available on my television, but apparently it is available on tsn.ca - is this free?
8:00am - West Ham/Cardiff does not appear anywhere either, but apparently it is available on sportsnet.ca - again, is this free if I already subscribe to Sportsnet World through Shaw?
10:30am - Swansea/Manchester United is on Sportsnet (channel 27)

In years past, Setanta, channel 154, would play matches like the two that we're missing out on tomorrow on tape delay later during the day. Can anyone tell me what the story is here?

Crystal Palace/Spurs and Chelsea/Hull are both on live on TSN Sunday morning.
Manchester City/Newcastle is on live on TSN Monday afternoon.

The midweek match between Chelsea and Villa is on Sportsnet World.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

good start so far, both teams have hit the bar in the first 12 minutes.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I predict .....

1. Chelsea
2. United
3. Spurs*
4. City
5. Arsenal

*If Bale stays. If not, then 5th.
the top 5 are really unpredictable this year. It's amazing because it's the only top league in Europe where the top 2 are not set in stone (Barcelona and Real in Spain, Bayern and Dortmund in Germany, Juventus and Milan in Italy). Very interesting and extremely difficult to predict this year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving , tears and writhing