Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Has anyone ever cooked a turducken?

My friends and I, all bachelors, have decided that we are going to get together at my place on Thanksgiving and make a turducken.

I've been reading all sorts of recipes and such online. Has anyone made one before?

Looking for some tips and tricks. Online a lot of people said they would take the skin off the chicken if they were to do it again. Stuff like that.

There are also three different types of stuffing in it. Every single recipe I've read is different!

Thanks.

Last edited by schteve_d; 10-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope one of your buddies is a surgeon. When my girlfriend made one last year her kitchen looked like Hannibal Lecter had just finished with it.

Have a very, very sharp knife.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't you buy them pre-packaged? Thought I saw those in the store last year.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, you can but what's the sport in that? We've decided to get drinking and have some fun with it.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Yeah, you can but what's the sport in that? We've decided to get drinking and have some fun with it.
I seriously hope one of you is a surgeon because if you're drinking and making a turducken of you isnt leaving with all of the fingers that you started with.

For the record though, I wholly support this endeavour because it sounds awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Order the birds from a butcher that will debone them for you
That is the hardest and least satisfying party, I understand.
We are making our first one tomorrow.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did one of the frozen, pre-fabbed ones a few years ago and wouldn't do it again. It is heavily processed in terms of deboning and such and just wasn't that good. If you are doing fresh birds that are prepared by a butcher, as Flames89 says, you'll probably have a much better experience.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

have you considered deep frying the turkey - that is some kind of awesome.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My friends and I, all bachelors, have decided that we are going to get together at my place on Thanksgiving and make a turducken.

I've been reading all sorts of recipes and such online. Has anyone made one before?

Looking for some tips and tricks. Online a lot of people said they would take the skin off the chicken if they were to do it again. Stuff like that.

There are also three different types of stuffing in it. Every single recipe I've read is different!

Thanks.
Thats what cooking is, just piece the different recipies together and create your own. Some will say to debone everything, skin on/ skinoff etc.... If you have some knife skills it is not that hard at all to debone each bird while keeping it whole. There are youtube videos to tech you how.

I cut the wings off the chicken and then bone out the breast, leaving the thighs and drums attached via the skin,yet seperate the joints. On the duck, I cut of the wings and bone evrything out. I also peel the skin all off, this will cause the leg meat to become detached but you can layer that inside the breast meat. Duck meat is an "acquired" taste and the skin, I find is awful, its very strong and fatty.

I do the turkey the same as the chicken, bone it all out except for the legs. Inside the opend up turkey caracas, put in a ton of stuffing, then lay the duck breast with the leg meat on the stuffing. Then lay the chicken on the stuffing and stuff the chicken.

The hardest part is sewing it all up, it could take five or six hands. What you want to do is shape the turkey back to it's original bone in form, if that makes sense. And start sewing it back together. I sew the turkey wings around the outside and I just cram the chicken and duck wings in there somewhere.

Presentation is what a turducken is all about and by doing it this way, the finished product looks like a turkey, but it slices up like a meat loaf (start slicing from the neck end). The exposed end is quite impressive with the layers of meat seperated by the stuffing, and these are the slices you serve.

It will probably take you several attempts to get this just right, should you choose to do it this way. I worked as meat cutter for 10 years and it took me a few times to get it right, then I made six one Thanksgiving for a friends butcher shop and now I can get them pretty good.

The first one I did I read it would take 8 hrs or so to cook. I got up at 5am, put the thing in the oven and went back to bed. When I woke again at 9 ish the thing was pretty much ready, and we were not going to eat untill 2 or so.

Don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out "looking" right, the taste will be the same and the fun in the attempt is probably more what it is all about for you. I worked as a meat cutter for over 10 yrs and this does take some practise

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 10-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

I applaud your desire to make it yourself... but if it was me and there was a group of guys that were going to eat it... I'd order one instead of making it yourself. Sounds way too time consuming, messy, and difficult to me.

This is on the Calgary Co-op website:

Quote:
Pre-Order Your Turducken Today!
Turducken Pre-Order
Please complete and submit the pre-order form below to reserve your Turducken.
Turduckens range from 3.3kg. to 5.5kg. and are priced at $19.82/kg. Typically, a 4kg. Turducken will feed up to 15 adults. Unfortunately, you are unable to pre-order the exact weight of your Turducken..
http://www.calgarycoop.com/food/meat...ken_pre_order/

Do the math and it will cost about $5.29 per person to feed 15 people.

Last edited by Rerun; 10-05-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Let me be the first to request some pics of the process.

This will be great. You are about to enter the upper echelon of man.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, this should definitely be recorded.

My girlfriend states that the best part was deboning the birds. She had a scalpel and everything.

I, on the other hand, supervised from a safe distance with a glass of scotch and a bemused smirk.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife made one for us a few years ago and it turned out really well. She used three different stuffing recipes one of which was sausage based to add a fourth animal to the mix.

She deboned the chicken and duck in their entirety but left some bones in the turkey so that the legs would still look right.

I will also second Derek in that it cooked a lot faster than she expected, and carving it was great, you just cut pieces of it out like meatloaf.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about 3 bachelors armed with sharp cutting instruments and flush with water fowl in a whiskey fueled cooking endeavour the more I think you guys should just throw all of the ingredients through a wood chipper and arrive at the ultimate goal a little bit sooner.

Alas, the journey is as much fun as the destination....

Or, maybe you guys are a lot more competent than I am.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Our family has had Turducken before. The consensus was for what you pay for it, it wasn't worth the ridiculous expense.
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Made one a couple years ago. Our turkey was sorta small and overstuffed so it looked like the Turkey was giving birth the duck+chicken.

Made another one using a goose instead of turkey (couldn't find a turkey in Switzerland) but we screwed that up a little buy cutting from the breasts instead of the backs.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's going to take awhile to prepare and then cook it. I hope your liver is up for the challenge!
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're welcome....

rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not totally related, but a great deboning chicken video.

psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Not totally related, but a great deboning chicken video.
Awesome video, wish I had seen this last week, I would have planned to make a turducken from scratch.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote