Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default Cheapest Way to Fly?

It's been ages since I've taken an airline ( I usually just drive or carpool). I was wondering how I would secure the best deal for airline tickets. I plan on visiting Winnipeg in mid October. Would putting my name on a standby list be cheaper? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Hide in the landing gear. It is a two hour flight, dress warm, you should be fine.

Do you have air miles? How much are the flights today?

Not sure if you get a deal going standby, but if you have some flexibility on when you can leave, the that is an option.

Have you thought about the bus?
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player
 
DownhillGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Check kayak or wait for a wesjet blue tag sale to Winnipeg.

Personally I'd take the other, less expensive, less painful solution, and not go to Winnipeg at all.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
tvp2003
Franchise Player
 
tvp2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Start here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=74271&page=47

Also here: http://www.yycdeals.com/ If you scroll down to the August 31 post, there is a good post by CP's cmyden as to why it's hard to get a good flight deal within Canada. No such thing as flying on standby as far as I know; I see some people on kijiji trying to buy buddy passes on Westjet but I would be surprised if that ever works out...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

IIRC- when you use somebody's Buddy Pass on WestJet; the employee has to pay for the flight on his/her credit card. I guess to discourage that sort of thing; and to make sure the passes are being used for close friends and family.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Hide in the landing gear. It is a two hour flight, dress warm, you should be fine.

Do you have air miles? How much are the flights today?

Not sure if you get a deal going standby, but if you have some flexibility on when you can leave, the that is an option.

Have you thought about the bus?
I may still end up driving. It's only a 14-15 hour drive. The only thing I hate is driving through Saskatchewan (no offence to any Sask. residents).
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

I fly to Winnipeg often for work and the flights are always jam packed. I'd think going stand by would make for a very frustrating day for you.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
JonDuke
Franchise Player
 
JonDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
IIRC- when you use somebody's Buddy Pass on WestJet; the employee has to pay for the flight on his/her credit card. I guess to discourage that sort of thing; and to make sure the passes are being used for close friends and family.
Incorrect. The employee emails the buddy pass to whoever is going to use it. It's made out to that person and only they can use it. That person who is going to use it pays with their own credit card when they call to list.

Also, there is no such thing as listing to fly standby (with AC & WJ) unless you are using a buddy pass/travel companion.

Check Westjets website on Thursday between 1-4pm MST. That's when you will find the best deals
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Claeren
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Section 218
Exp:
Default

As a strong general rule - for both WestJet and Air Canada - the earlier you buy the better.

For YYCYWG that likely meant the Labour Day sale in September. Without looking at the current fare in mid-October, it may dip slightly IF there is a sale before you travel but it is unlikely so close in to the departure date - and prices are far more likely to keep climbing right until departure.

Domestic networks are running at ~90% load factors and over long weekends (like Thanksgiving) close to 100%. You generally have to book months ahead to get the real deals. (IE: If you are looking to fly over Spring Break in 2013 I would buy sooner than later.)
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player
 
DownhillGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I may still end up driving. It's only a 14-15 hour drive. The only thing I hate is driving through Saskatchewan (no offence to any Sask. residents).
Don't kid yourself. It gets boring around Medicine Hat and stays that way well past Winnipeg.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender
 
saskflames69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exp:
Default

Bring noseplugs when visiting Regina.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
If ever there was an oilering
Johnny Gaudreau will win the Hart Trophy in 2018.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Cheapest way to fly eh?

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

BUMP!

I remember a conversation earlier about intentionally missing a connecting flight, because it was cheaper to get off at the stop-over than actually booking a flight directly there. I was looking at this for flights from YYC to SFO is about $100+ per ticket over YYC-SFO-LAS.

I already know that you can only take carry on if you try to go this route, and the rest of your itinerary for that flight will be cancelled, but my question is, can you search for the cheapest ticket based on the stop-over point? I haven't done a lot of research, but how can I find the cheapest ticket that would land me / family members in SFO? Or is it just an iterative approach of seeing which flights will stop at a particular airport?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I'm......fromdacity
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
BUMP!

I remember a conversation earlier about intentionally missing a connecting flight, because it was cheaper to get off at the stop-over than actually booking a flight directly there. I was looking at this for flights from YYC to SFO is about $100+ per ticket over YYC-SFO-LAS.

I already know that you can only take carry on if you try to go this route, and the rest of your itinerary for that flight will be cancelled, but my question is, can you search for the cheapest ticket based on the stop-over point? I haven't done a lot of research, but how can I find the cheapest ticket that would land me / family members in SFO? Or is it just an iterative approach of seeing which flights will stop at a particular airport?
I think that's called hidden city booking. I've done it once, but didn't do it again after reading about airlines coming after people who were repeat offenders. If you barely fly I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Drive to Great Falls. Fly to Fargo. Drive to Winnipeg.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback
 
oilyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Drive to Great Falls. Fly to Fargo. Drive to Winnipeg.
Seriously doubt that's any cheaper
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Seriously doubt that's any cheaper
Don't ever take me serious.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I think that's called hidden city booking. I've done it once, but didn't do it again after reading about airlines coming after people who were repeat offenders. If you barely fly I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Ah!1 that's the term! Thanks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

In a sort of related note, I'm planning a trip over to Thailand in April and looking at my flight options the cheapest by far are the American airlines (United and Delta). They're at just over $1000 for a round trip ticket to Bangkok, while Air Canada and Cathay Pacific (whom I used last time) are several hundred dollars more. I've heard many bad stores about flying with American lines, is it worth saving the money to go with them or more of a headache than it's worth?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016