Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hell on Wheels

Anyone else catch the pilot of this on AMC? Great show, and a great first episode. I really enjoyed it and will continue watching.

At least a chunk was shot near Calgary (maybe all?), so its kind of a feel good local thing in a way as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yupp. Very interesting show. Thought the pilot was well done and I look forward to watching it again next week. It's a good thing too because The Walking Dead is starting to get kind of boring for me.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about it. The husband of a friend of mine was an extra in the pilot. It's set to record tonight, I'll have to watch it this week.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I was an extra on that show. Worked in the background mining the ground and getting off the train. Pretty pissed when i found out that because we haven't got our permanent residency yet that i couldn't get paid my $2000. At least i'm on t.v...Now i feel sad.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liked the first episode. Looking forward to seeing how this series plays out.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anyone else catch the pilot of this on AMC? Great show, and a great first episode. I really enjoyed it and will continue watching.

At least a chunk was shot near Calgary (maybe all?), so its kind of a feel good local thing in a way as well.
I get the feeling that the majority of the series is around Calgary.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I was an extra on that show. Worked in the background mining the ground and getting off the train. Pretty pissed when i found out that because we haven't got our permanent residency yet that i couldn't get paid my $2000. At least i'm on t.v...Now i feel sad.
did you speak to anyone working on the show by the name of Suzy? my aunt was doing a lot of the extra's staffing for this show while it was shooting in Calgary
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Really? Where did you get the job from, I want to be an extra and for $2000, seems like easy work.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I see that Common is one of the main characters. I swore I saw him at the Eau Claire YMCA during the timeframe of filming.. I guess I was right! I even saw him at dinner at Oceana.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I see that Common is one of the main characters. I swore I saw him at the Eau Claire YMCA during the timeframe of filming.. I guess I was right! I even saw him at dinner at Oceana.
He was staying at the sheraton
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
Mav
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Great pilot. To be frank, I enjoyed the pilot of this more than the pilot of Deadwood... Really hope this one get picked up.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Entertaining episode for sure. I do however think the show lacks a certain quality. It's a little cheesy for me. I thought the final monologue scene with Colm Meaney's character was laughable. Who the hell was he talking to? I assume the guy who was sending the telegram, but I don't know. It just seemed a bit much.

Definitely going to keep on watching, it was a fun watch for sure. I'm going to hold off judgement until I see some more episodes, but first impression have me seeing this as a little cheesy.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always nice to see a show filmed in Calgary and area do well, the economic spin-offs are nice too. The more production we can get here in Calgary the better!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Entertaining episode for sure. I do however think the show lacks a certain quality. It's a little cheesy for me. I thought the final monologue scene with Colm Meaney's character was laughable. Who the hell was he talking to? I assume the guy who was sending the telegram, but I don't know. It just seemed a bit much.

Definitely going to keep on watching, it was a fun watch for sure. I'm going to hold off judgement until I see some more episodes, but first impression have me seeing this as a little cheesy.

Well he was basically speaking the audience without breaking the 4th wall. That is almost Shakespearean in nature.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the first 2 episodes last night. Why are the Indians after the blonde? and where did they learn English so well?
This show has some real characters in it. Thought the old one handed boss man was great too bad he didn't last long. Also like the Swede.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Just watched the first 2 episodes last night. Why are the Indians after the blonde? and where did they learn English so well?
This show has some real characters in it. Thought the old one handed boss man was great too bad he didn't last long. Also like the Swede.
I really like the Swede as well. Its a really good show. I am fine with the language issue...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna definitely give this show a chance. Currently watching the final season of Deadwood, very interested in the Old West setting these days.

EDIT: Actually now that I mention it, how does it stack up against Deadwood? Or is it too early to tell? Same kind of vibe, or totally different besides the setting?

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-21-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I am in the middle of Red Dead Redemption, which is probably why I think its such a great show!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giving this thread a bump, the show was a little slow for a bit but I liked the last couple of episodes. Anyone know how many more left this season?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Giving this thread a bump, the show was a little slow for a bit but I liked the last couple of episodes. Anyone know how many more left this season?
I believe there is one more episode. I was almost on the verge o giving up on it but I am starting to really get into it now. It would be nice if they developed the characters a little better, but I think we might start to see this take shape next season.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote