Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default City of Abbotsford to cover estimated $1.2M revenue shortfall for Heat

Quote:
"Our second year numbers were more disappointing than the first year numbers."

City officials projected in May the Heat could fall short of the $5.7 million in guaranteed revenue for the local ownership group as part of the 10-year supply fee agreement between the City of Abbotsford, the Heat and its NHL affiliate Calgary Flames, by as much as $1.2 million for the team's 2010/11 fiscal year.

If the city's spring projections are accurate, taxpayers will have to subsidize the Heat for roughly $1.7 million in its first two years of operation.

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/news/...#ixzz1ZMsjcxxL

official numbers to be released tomorrow

Last edited by Canada 02; 09-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Bruins moving to Victoria and the expected improvement of this seasons team, I can see a big attendance jump. If it doesn't happen, it looks bleak and maybe time to look at plan D.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a 'plan D' were to come about... where would be a cool / ideal location for the minor league team?

I'd say Seattle or Portland would be cool... same with Tijuana, Mexico.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
With the Bruins moving to Victoria and the expected improvement of this seasons team, I can see a big attendance jump. If it doesn't happen, it looks bleak and maybe time to look at plan D.
I've been hearing some Heat fans b*tch about the massive turnover in players from year to year. Basically, they hate the fact that they have to learn a whole new roster of players almost every season. My answer to them is, "get over it!" That's the very nature of AHL teams. Players leave and players come in.

I don't know if that's a legitimate excuse of why attendance is down because I don't know that the amount season ticket holders are fluctuating or decreasing.

All I know is there's a lot of excitement this year from the true Heat fans. We know there will be more offense thanks to Feaster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towards the end of the season (last 10 games or so) the attendance rose by 800-1000 people. This is likely due to the amount of advertising they began to put out, bringing the team into the hospital and numerous elementary schools. Heat reps were at every community/city event. This was a huge change from almost none of that previous to March 2011.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I've been hearing some Heat fans b*tch about the massive turnover in players from year to year. Basically, they hate the fact that they have to learn a whole new roster of players almost every season. My answer to them is, "get over it!" That's the very nature of AHL teams. Players leave and players come in.

I don't know if that's a legitimate excuse of why attendance is down because I don't know that the amount season ticket holders are fluctuating or decreasing.

All I know is there's a lot of excitement this year from the true Heat fans. We know there will be more offense thanks to Feaster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towards the end of the season (last 10 games or so) the attendance rose by 800-1000 people. This is likely due to the amount of advertising they began to put out, bringing the team into the hospital and numerous elementary schools. Heat reps were at every community/city event. This was a huge change from almost none of that previous to March 2011.
Yeah I think that is why MJH is pretty popular, although there is a turnover in players, there is still more continuity and the franchise has control over who is on the team.

When I was growing up we had the Canucks and New West Royals of the old pro WHL. Sure they had player agreements with NHL teams but they still had control of what players they wanted. A guy like Phil Maloney or Max McNabb (Royals) was good enough to play in the NHL but made as much in Vancouver, so why bother going east. These players came back year after year and gave the fans a chance to know the players.

The Winnipeg Moose also seemed to hang onto to vet players so the fans had more to relate to.

Good to hear that attendance improved and the fans are excited about the new season.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing how many fans from Chilliwack make the trip to Abbotsford compared to how many of those former Bruins fans will choose to invest their time in the BCHL this season.

Sure there was considerable pomp and circumstance over the weekend but the Chiefs drew over 3,000 fans to their home opener, and beat a highly-regarded Penticton team 7-1 to boot.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
ThisYear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not looking good.
ThisYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Abbotsford!

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

turns out it was $1.4M shortfall, even worse than estimated
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well I did my part. I just drove through Abbotsford on my way back to Calgary from Vancouver.

Made a stop by the arena to check it out and see if I could get some team swag and the nice lady working at the store sold me a hat even though they weren't open yet.

The team was there having a practice. Recognized Mitch Wahl and Irving, but that was it. Got some pictures but nothing amazing.

Pretty loose practice. The guys were playing strip shootout and Mitch and a couple of other guys weren't doing very well. My wife enjoyed it!

Nice arena and a ton of advertising on Abbotsford streets. A ton. Hopefully it puts more butts in the seats.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Nemisz/Breen
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How much of that shortfall is actually from the Heat and how much is attributed to the arena its self. I hear conflicting stories around town.
Nemisz/Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
we had lots of fans complain about that too as they were used to lower level leagues where guys were often around longer. it was mostly excuse making for our fans as it may be for yours as well. the sad thing is that if the team didnt move so much, there were lots of guys around for several years with the farm team; guys like peters, germyn, cunning, pelech, etc...
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
BringTheKnightsBack
Draft Pick

Quote:
Hahaha. Silly post.

Almost every team in the AHL has better atttendance at the end of the season. The Knights were drawing better in their second season than they did in the first season. Didnt matter tho. We lost the team because attendance was sucking and the Omaha paper was printing stories about the team just like the Abbotsford newspaper did.

Moved to Quad Cities. Nothing. Same stuff there. All their fans were talking about how much the attendance improved in the spring. Didnt matter. its not going to matter for Abbotsford either.

Get used to it.
BringTheKnightsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheKnightsBack View Post
Hahaha. Silly post.

Almost every team in the AHL has better atttendance at the end of the season. The Knights were drawing better in their second season than they did in the first season. Didnt matter tho. We lost the team because attendance was sucking and the Omaha paper was printing stories about the team just like the Abbotsford newspaper did.

Moved to Quad Cities. Nothing. Same stuff there. All their fans were talking about how much the attendance improved in the spring. Didnt matter. its not going to matter for Abbotsford either.

Get used to it.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha. Silly post.

Get used to it.
I think you're wrong there. The Fraser Valley has hockey fans, the team is improved, and the Chilliwack Bruins are out of the WHL which only helps the Heat. If they make the playoffs this season, they will have seeded a successful franchise in the Valley. Ryan Walter seems like a really great president as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attendance is up this season. Last year on Nov. 22 attendance was averaging 2893 and we were 29th.

So far this season we are averaging 3236 and are 27th. Not a great increase but it's promising.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=98302

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
BringTheKnightsBack
Draft Pick

So instead of losing $1.2 million this year the Heat will only lose a million. Good luck. Youre gonna need it.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So instead of losing $1.2 million this year the Heat will only lose a million. Good luck. Youre gonna need it.
I doubt the Heat are losing money. They have a sweatheart deal with the city that guarantees $5.7M for 10 years
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awwww, is someone said their AHL team left? Here...

Every single one of your posts on this site have either bashed the QC Flames, or the Heat. We get it. Maybe if your arguments didn't make you sound like an incredibly bitter fan, people could see your viewpoint.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
BringTheKnightsBack
Draft Pick

Quote:
Attendance is up this season. Last year on Nov. 22 attendance was averaging 2893 and we were 29th.

So far this season we are averaging 3236 and are 27th. Not a great increase but it's promising.
Those numbers are fake. Ive seen video of the Abbotsford home games this season and the number of people in the building is much less. Keep dreaming.