Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Discourse on iPhone 4S & iOS 5.

Read about Siri

More about iOS 5 - Coming Oct. 12

Watch the 4S video here

Find out about iCloud here - Also released Oct. 12

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 10-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

so the biggest new feature that Apple is hyping with iOS 5 is a notification bar that Android has had for years. will we see the lawsuits swing the other way from Google?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd imagine so. But that's not what this threads about.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah I'm more excited about iOS 5 too. It's going to make my iPad so much better. Can't wait for the new gestures.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Gestures and the camera available on the lock screen are going to be solid additions. Finally catching up to Android on notifications is needed badly as well.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

anyone know what needs to be done if I buy the phone out of the states on its early release? or if it is even possible?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I assume I can, but can I download iOS 5 for my iPhone 4?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
anyone know what needs to be done if I buy the phone out of the states on its early release? or if it is even possible?
Possible yes, just need it unlocked...not sure the tech specs on the 5 if it will take awhile to figure out but I'm asssuming even if it did it'd be faster than the month delayed release for Canada if you're really wanting it badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I assume I can, but can I download iOS 5 for my iPhone 4?
I don't think so.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

3GS or newer will get iOS 5. Both iPads as well.

OTA syncing and updates are going to be awesome too. To know I never have to transfer songs to my iPhone again with the USB cable is an amazing thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
I don't think so.
nvm.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-17-2011 at 03:26 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
so the biggest new feature that Apple is hyping with iOS 5 is a notification bar that Android has had for years. will we see the lawsuits swing the other way from Google?
I suggest you take a look over here:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

I admit #1 is notifications. However, there are several really cool ideas being implemented in iOS 5. Like notifying you to do something when you leave your house, or work. The camera features are welcome too on a minor level.

I admit Android is first to get new features, but half the time they are slap dash, or gimmicky (a 3D sound surround phone?), and don't work as well as iOS. I owned an Android and I hated it for this reason. Buggy GPS, multiple Email clients (one Samsung pre-installed, and Androids), no music player that worked as well as iTunes (sorry but DoubleTwist sucked when I had my Andriod last year).

Point is that although slow, I have found Apple to roll out features that work well. That is just my opinion though, if Android works for you, great. However, I will take the less feature rich but solid (Jailbroken) iOS experience any day over any other phone OS.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Like notifying you to do something when you leave your house, or work.
I suppose if you leave your GPS on all the time.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
What's wrong with leaving it on all the time?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It won't need the have the GPS on all the time - the battery drain imposed by the GPS chipset is way too great for that.

You can tell when you are changing locations without GPS in a number of ways - joining & leaving wifi networks is one way. While on wifi, you can determine with some accuracy where you are based on IP address. Switching cell towers is another indication to the phone that you've moved. There's also cell triangulation which will locate you, albeit less accurately than GPS.

The iPhone already manages to keep pretty darn good track of where you are without excessive use of the GPS - there was a big outcry when an app was released that allowed you to see the location database it keeps via iTunes backups.

I haven't played with the iOS5 beta's, and I haven't read any discussions of how the feature works (i guess because of NDA's), so it will be interesting to see how tight of a geo-fence it allows you to create (ie. how specific - can it distinguish between my house and a neighbors?), as well as how quickly it recognizes when you've entered or left that fence.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah the way the iPhone does it right now (or one way anyway) is you can have your app in the background and registered to be woken up when a "significant" change of location occurs, which is something the phone does all the time so you get it for free.

Maybe with iOS 5 they're adding to the API so that you can do periodic high quality locations (i.e. once every 15 minutes so as not to drain the battery) or something like that.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
bomba
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know if the iphone 5 will be LTE capable? Also, any rumors on price points or is it fair to assume they will be same at 3gs release?
bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #17
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, nothing that they're promoting really seems very revolutionary to me. The handiest thing from my point of view would be the ability to use the camera so quickly and to have a physical shutter button. As others pointed out, the message center is great but isn't an innovation. The messaging system seems like a pain (is there really a need for another way of sending people short messages, especially if you can only send them to other iphone users?). Most other things also don't seem to be great innovations and are already available on mobile devices.

Being able to provide notifications based on location is cool and innovative though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomba View Post
Does anyone know if the iphone 5 will be LTE capable? Also, any rumors on price points or is it fair to assume they will be same at 3gs release?
There aren't any widespread rumors of this happening on this one. Apparently their next one will be LTE enabled.

As an aside, Apple always has something or the other under wraps that will probably be a pleasant surprise, and the 5 after waiting longer than expected, should have something worth waiting for I'm sure.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Hmmm, nothing that they're promoting really seems very revolutionary to me. The handiest thing from my point of view would be the ability to use the camera so quickly and to have a physical shutter button. As others pointed out, the message center is great but isn't an innovation. The messaging system seems like a pain (is there really a need for another way of sending people short messages, especially if you can only send them to other iphone users?). Most other things also don't seem to be great innovations and are already available on mobile devices.

Being able to provide notifications based on location is cool and innovative though.
Apparently since this has been Blackberry's promotional push for the last 2 years.

For me the biggest advantage will be when travelling (less to send an imessage than a text) and from my Ipad.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ I'm so excited for iMessage for my parents. They don't text but they do have an iPad. They use email but they only check it a couple times in the day. To have a popup would be quite handy.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote