Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk skates

I am in the market for some new skates. I currently wear Easton's (sorry not sure of model number, I will update later) that are only a few years old, but every time I block a shot I need to go for xrays!

Anyways, I am looking for some skates with better protection, I am looking to spend between $200 to $300 as long as they're worth it.

Sport Chek has a big sale this weekend, and I know some of you will tell me to go to a real store not Sport Chek, but some thoughts please

Sport Chek has Bauer Vapor X40's on for $249 and X30's on for $199
also:
Easton Stealth S11 $249
Easton Synergy EQ4 $249
CCM Vector U+ $249

Help! and Thanks!
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

try them on and walk around the store with skate guards on for a bit and see which is the most comfortable. Each skate will fit differently, buy the one that fits the best.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well if your primary reason to buy new skates is for protection then you may be disapointed when you get hit with the new ones on and it still kills, although I'm sure different skates are stronger in different spots. I have Bauer One95's, which were the top of the line a couple years ago, and I still feel like I have broken a bone if I block a shot with the inside or out side of the boot.

Perhaps you might to consider something like this http://www.shotblockers.com/ as an alternative?
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I've been wearing Bauer Vapors (I forget which model) for the past two years, and haven't had any issues with them. I didn't mould them at all but if new skates tend to give you blisters like they do for me, I suggest a Superfeet Yellow Insole from Sportchek

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...ductId=3723553

I have them in my hockey skates and in my roller blades and have not had a single blister issue, they're expensive, but they've been worth it for me.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I went to the Bauer X40 after skating in Eastons for years. It's a totally different skate, and a completely different feel. The Bauer skate isn't as stiff, and feels more "flat" on the blade. It took a little getting used to.

The Bauer is a better quality skate as well, I tend to get in about 100 skates a year, and the eastons literally fell apart at the seams after the first year. Had the Bauer's for almost 3 years now, and they're holding up great.

I also don't get ankle bite from my Bauer's, but that's more to do with my foot shape.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Tron, my Easton's are also falling apart after only a few years. I will try the Bauer's and see how they feel.

I have worn Easton's (usually gel) since I was like 14 so I know I like their fit, but these new one's I have hurt like a biotch when I block shots, never had that issue before these
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've sworn by Bauer since I was playing tyke.
The Vapor's have been my go to skate since they released them (I think)
Right now I have Vapor IX's from 2-3 years ago. They've held up exceptionally well.
Up until this summer, I played winter and summer league (30-35 games per season) so 60-ish games per year.
They're still in great shape! Just need a flat bottom v sharpen once a month.
I think they're a little stiffer than Bauer Supremes, so if you like a little softer skate, I would say the Supreme
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Easton 1100 and I do love the feel/fit but they are falling apart as well. They are three or four years old but I would buy a second pair in a heart beat. First skate that felt good right away and I like the stiffer skate.

If you are looking for protection I don't think you will find it in any skates today. Perhaps a old pair of Microns with the sock/boot found at a garage sale?

Buy skates on fit and feel and then shell out for the shot blockers mentioned earlier.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the market for a new pair of skates as well so I may as well piggy back on this thread. I haven't owned a pair of skates in a good 10 years. My problem is that a pair of skates can feel comfortable to me and then after skating in them for 15 to 20 minutes I get excruciating pain in my arches.

Does anyone else get that? It's happened in skates, back in the day (the 90's in rollerblades)... I believe I have wider feet than normal as I get soccer shoes that are wider, but I'm not sure if that's the root of the problem.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I'm in the market for a new pair of skates as well so I may as well piggy back on this thread. I haven't owned a pair of skates in a good 10 years. My problem is that a pair of skates can feel comfortable to me and then after skating in them for 15 to 20 minutes I get excruciating pain in my arches.

Does anyone else get that? It's happened in skates, back in the day (the 90's in rollerblades)... I believe I have wider feet than normal as I get soccer shoes that are wider, but I'm not sure if that's the root of the problem.
This happens to me when I tie my skates or roller blades too tight.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So get wider skates?...Or if you are using wax laces that prevents the skate from being able to expand when you start using them.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Graf skates are the best, in my oppinion, but are pricey.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Thanks Tron, my Easton's are also falling apart after only a few years. I will try the Bauer's and see how they feel.

I have worn Easton's (usually gel) since I was like 14 so I know I like their fit, but these new one's I have hurt like a biotch when I block shots, never had that issue before these
Most skate companies basically have 2 types of skates. One that fits wider and are a less stiff and have shorter blade runners and are built for more agile players who need to make quick cuts(Bauer Vapor, Easton Synergy). And one that is more form fitting and stiffer and generally has a longer blade that are built more for power players with long strides (Bauer Supreme, Easton Stealth). So depending on what model of Easton you have, if you found them comfortable I suggest going to something similar if youre going to change brands.

For what its worth, my preference is Grafs. I've had my Grafs for 4 years and they still feel brand new.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the vapour x40s are a good deal right now, i have friends that work at hockey experts and they said the difference between the x30s and x40s are weight, i have the x30s and theyve been good, the pair i had before was the vapour xxii but you gotta try them on and walk around to see what fits best for you,
Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1more for grafs ...... Bought a pair last fall and it blew me away how comfy they were for me right out of the box.

I'd also recommend buying a pair of super feet insoles.

Based on what I have seen in the market, I don't think there is a pair of skates out there that will offer you any substantial protection when blocking shots. I suppose you could look at ankle guards, but they still leave a lot of your foot exposed.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
+1more for grafs ...... Bought a pair last fall and it blew me away how comfy they were for me right out of the box.

I'd also recommend buying a pair of super feet insoles.

Based on what I have seen in the market, I don't think there is a pair of skates out there that will offer you any substantial protection when blocking shots. I suppose you could look at ankle guards, but they still leave a lot of your foot exposed.
Who blocks shots in beer league?

Hell not even our goalie wants to get infront of pucks.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone is going to say whatever brand they like is the best.

My tip: Go with what fits the best on you! Nothing is worse than skates that aren't comfortable to wear. Unless you are a brand whore or hater, just try them all on and see which suits your foot shape the best.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Everyone is going to say whatever brand they like is the best.

My tip: Go with what fits the best on you! Nothing is worse than skates that aren't comfortable to wear. Unless you are a brand whore or hater, just try them all on and see which suits your foot shape the best.
I agree with this whole heartedly. I grew up wearing Bauer's, but saw a lot of people wearing Graf's and tried a pair. Despite that others said they felt like slippers out of the box, my feet never felt comfortable in them for the 3+ years I had them. Plus, the rocker/foot incline was something that threw off my skating style. I tried CCM's in the past and found my feet didn't like them either. Went back to Bauer and my feet loved them.

Morale of the story: Listen to your feet...
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
bomba
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I got a pair of Easton S15s two seasons ago and love them. They aren't going to be goods for your shotblocking as they have nothing to them, but you'll be flying with how light they are.

Are you playing rep hockey? I've been trimming down my equipment to be as small as possible these days. I've gotta work the next day so I quickly get out of the way of any shot from the point
bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
Graf skates are the best, in my oppinion, but are pricey.
Graf's are still made here in Calgary aren't they??
Most of Graf's gear is excellent, but if you're not comfortable what's the point?
I grew up with CCM, tried Graf and didn't like them. Got a pair of Bauer Vapors back in the late 90's and have been wearing them ever since (on my 5th pair).
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canucks suck , skates