Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 4BG Xbox 360 slim warning

So I got this system for christmas and I got a copy of Elder Scrolls Oblivion GOTY edition. The downloadable content on the 2nd disc is a little over 1G, I have 3.5G free so I am in the good right? Wrong. A message pops up that says that there is no hard drive and to install a hard drive to download the content. Wtf? Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong so I google it to see what is going on. Here is where in typical Microsoft fashion they have totally mislead the public. The Slim 4G has 4 gigs of internal memory. It has no HDD even though comon sense would make you think the 4G in the machine was on a hard drive. So what Microsoft did was release these 4G models at a really enticing price at boxing day time without you knowing that any game you buy that has a disc with extra content like GOTY or ultimate edition games will not let you get your expansion data because without an installed hard drive it won't allow it. So of course I thought that maybe I can fix this with a USB stick, there is a port for one. Nope, still won't work because the USB is not a HDD and the disc won't recognize it. So guess how the only possible way you can play games like Halo Reach, DA:O expansion, Shivering Isles, ext? You have to buy a HD for the Slim that costs $149.00! So in the end it would be cheaper just to buy the 250G bundle in the first place. Not happy, not happy at all! Just a heads up if you are in the market for a gaming system. If I could do it again I would have went PS3, I hate Microsoft and given my past experience with that company I should have known better. Oh, you can download Shivering Isles and Knights Of The Nine of xbox live for a lot more cost than the GOTY discs and they will work fine on the 4G slim, lots of space but about $30 more.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is why I prefer PC gaming... although I have a PS3 and 360 for the exclusive games.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am working on getting an old HDD for $30, gonna hack it to fit the slim.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You sure you can't use the USB? I use a USB to save all my NHL stuff. You need to select it and format it.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
You sure you can't use the USB? I use a USB to save all my NHL stuff. You need to select it and format it.
Ya you can't because the disc is programmed to look for an HDD installed. I already thought of that, it won't let you. Time to pull this trick.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy crap, learn how to use paragraphs.

I bought a 4 GB one, and used bought a cheap china-made 250 gb HD from here for $50. I've heard some complaints that it isnt actually 250 GB's but I got 100 gb on it now and have had no issues. It took some time to arrive (although it was during xmas) but I think it is worth it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designe...60-black-53889

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I will pass on that idea seeing how XBox live mods seem to find unofficial Microsoft stuff like this and ban you from live and lock your box.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Where did you think Microsoft found a 4 gb hard drive to put in the Xbox? 1999?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think I will pass on that idea seeing how XBox live mods seem to find unofficial Microsoft stuff like this and ban you from live and lock your box.
I have heard this but I have never seen any confirmed reports of it. I'm not too worried about it.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The video posted shows that it says Microsoft right on the xbox dashboard. They cannot ban you for putting one of their products in... you would just be doing it via unconventional methods
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The video posted shows that it says Microsoft right on the xbox dashboard. They cannot ban you for putting one of their products in... you would just be doing it via unconventional methods
No, CKY gave a link to a cheaper knock off. That is why I did this mod and you are right, with this mod it comes up as an xbox product so I am in the clear. Worked like a charm too.

Tags
microsoft sucks