Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Roughnecks for sale

Something that has fallen through the cracks on a very busy sports day:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...megadrop_story
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would suck to lose them. I've been following the 'Necks since almost their expansion season. The best choice would be the Flames buying it. If they can burn millions on a guy like Staios I'm sure they can spare some change and keep the Necks going. I will hate Ken King if they don't act on this.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
It would suck to lose them. I've been following the 'Necks since almost their expansion season. The best choice would be the Flames buying it. If they can burn millions on a guy like Staios I'm sure they can spare some change and keep the Necks going. I will hate Ken King if they don't act on this.

Oddly enough, I believe during the '04 Cup run when the Necks won their championship their was talk (and apparently pressure from the league) of the Flames purchasing the roughnecks.

Seems like the right move now but the Flames are probably going to lose money this year and it looks like it's going to be a tough road ahead. This would have made more sense during the boomtime.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As of now King has said that the Flames are concentrating on getting their hockey house in order and have no interest at this time in the Roughnecks.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The roughnecks have been looking for a buyer for many years. Bannister wants out and I guess he is making it public now in hopes someone will come forward
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize that King is not a Flames owner, right?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
You do realize that King is not a Flames owner, right?
You learn something new everyday..

He's the president of the group. He can present the owners with pros and cons of it. The expansion cost is 3 mill, they can probably buy them for like half that price (thats how much the previous teams for sale have sold for or brought their asking price down to). King doesn't have to mix Flames and Roughnecks. Hire a staff to take care of them and just oversee the operations.

Right now the Flames get the concession and the parking money the Roughnecks generate, Bannister has a crappy lease deal. Do you wana lose that or just pony up some cash and buy them and just market them lil better and could make some money off of them.

As for the announcement now, I think it's a good move, get the publicity and get people to come out an support the team. Honestly if you go watch, you'll be hooked. It's fast paced, hard-hitting action at a relatively low price.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

It amazes me that people in this city will pay over $100 to watch a Flames game but wont go to a roughnecks game for $30, to me there is no contest as to what is more exciting. its an embarrasment that a city this size cant sell out 8 games a year for the Roughnecks..
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
It amazes me that people in this city will pay over $100 to watch a Flames game but wont go to a roughnecks game for $30, to me there is no contest as to what is more exciting. its an embarrasment that a city this size cant sell out 8 games a year for the Roughnecks..
Corporate sponsorship really isn't there. It's more hip to be at Flames games than to be at Rigger's game. I've had people give me a strange look when asked about going to a Rigger's game.

The same amount you'll pay for nosebleeds at a Flames game you can pay the same to sit in the lower bowl at a Riggers game.

Families who can't afford Flames should definitely check out Riggers.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
The Roughnecks are to Calgary what the Coyotes are to Phoenix. Not enough people care about it.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The Roughnecks are to Calgary what the Coyotes are to Phoenix. Not enough people care about it.

Basically Calgary is only a hockey town. People used to criticize the Montreal sports fan for not supporting the Expos and only caring about hockey but Calgary is the same way.... the flames put on a pretty poor on ice product, yet they still sell out. The Rigger games are a great time, hopefully they remain in calgary
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to a Roughnecks game and didn't particularly care for it.

I liked the game itself, but I hated the continuous prompting and music and stuff during the play. I understand that a lot of people really like this, and that is fine. But I tried it and didn't like it.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I like Bannister but he hasn't done enough to promote them (don't blame him if you're losing money in the project every year).

The website all off-season wasn't updated, it had Kelusky/Sanderson on the main page all off-season even after their trades. Rosters just got links to player profiles.

It is tough to make room when another product is so established but you have to use different techniques to do it.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I've been to a Roughnecks game and didn't particularly care for it.

I liked the game itself, but I hated the continuous prompting and music and stuff during the play. I understand that a lot of people really like this, and that is fine. But I tried it and didn't like it.
I feel the same way about a Roughnecks game. I enjoy the game of lacrosse, but the in-game entertainment was off-putting. The taunting announcer screaming "GET IN, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!" every time the opposition got a penalty was more annoying as the game went on.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only been to one Roughneck game, but I would like to see the Flames buy them. I'm sure they could turn them into a break even operation at least.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really surprised the Flames dont own them already. For some reason I thought they did.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've also been to a game and am only a little bit ashamed to admit that I really didn't know what was going on. Not all the time of course, but sometimes there were whistles and I looked at the guys I was with and asked why play stopped...it was a mystery to us all.

The comparison to hockey in Phoenix is a good one I think; as a sort of casual fan I just couldn't get into it, and really just needed more education before I could go to more games. On TV its fine because there is someone to explain things, but live it was lacking for me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You learn something new everyday..

He's the president of the group. He can present the owners with pros and cons of it. The expansion cost is 3 mill, they can probably buy them for like half that price (thats how much the previous teams for sale have sold for or brought their asking price down to). King doesn't have to mix Flames and Roughnecks. Hire a staff to take care of them and just oversee the operations.

Right now the Flames get the concession and the parking money the Roughnecks generate, Bannister has a crappy lease deal. Do you wana lose that or just pony up some cash and buy them and just market them lil better and could make some money off of them.

As for the announcement now, I think it's a good move, get the publicity and get people to come out an support the team. Honestly if you go watch, you'll be hooked. It's fast paced, hard-hitting action at a relatively low price.
And what's to say he hasn't already done that? I just don't get your "I will hate Ken King" line when you have no idea what has or hasn't happened. Do you know if the Roughnecks have the potential to be profitable? Maybe they're a money pit, maybe the league is on the brink of folding again, maybe the Flames have the ability to draw stronger income streams with a different structure, the list can go on and on.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP Jihad. Let's buy the Roughnecks. I nominate me as President.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shotgun Chairman of the Board.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote