Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #3141
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

In some positive feedback, their strategy to prioritize the podcasts and load them way way quicker has been great. Subcribing to just "Flames Talk" alerts to the old Pinder 9-10 hour and the new Steinberg/Rose 4-7 hour. Much easier to listen to.

Also, the first hour of the morning show is now consitently available before 9 so when I start work it's ready to go.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #3142
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's really strange. Really where else can the Flames go? There's no other sports station in the city and TSN/Bell is cutting back and not likely interested in the Calgary market.
If you look at the article about the Canucks that is in the thread, there are really two options to the all sports station in the market:

The Corus talk radio station. QR77 here in Calgary. Corus own rights in Edmonton and Winnipeg currently, and are a good fit.

Streaming only. This allows the team to totally control the narrative, and have as much, or as little content out there as they want. In theory a "Calgary Flames Radio" stream could include content from the Flames, Hitmen and Roughnecks, including all the stuff they currently put out on Facebook and other platforms. LA and San Jose currently do not have a 'radio voice', but stream.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #3143
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really like the new format. The podcasts work great compared to the garbage Sportsnet app and I appreciate knowing the conversation will be about hockey and not other stuff.

Also, I feel like they are trying way harder. They will have 5-6 topics they plan to cover and several guests, not just let’s make a statement and talk in circles for 30min with everyone saying exactly the same thing.

Well done 960
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #3144
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the rights to Flames radio is changing, it has to remain on AM radio.

There is a lot of people in southern Alberta rural areas that listen to Flames on their AM radio while they are in an area where they don't get decent internet to listen online. It is quite handy for me when I'm driving from point a to b to be able to listen to the Flames games.

So either 960 or 770 works for me.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #3145
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I assumed they aren't travelling either due to COVID or Rogers totally cutting back.
They are travelling, just not on the team plane.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 AM   #3146
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LLswitch View Post
I really like the new format. The podcasts work great compared to the garbage Sportsnet app and I appreciate knowing the conversation will be about hockey and not other stuff.

Also, I feel like they are trying way harder. They will have 5-6 topics they plan to cover and several guests, not just let’s make a statement and talk in circles for 30min with everyone saying exactly the same thing.

Well done 960
I have been impressed by Pat’s new show but then again I will not listen to something that was recorded the day before as that is old news to me. I might start to listen to the Pinder Flames talk show as I miss it regularly due to work calls/meetings but I don’t mind catching up an hour or so later.

Still dead air from 12-4 which is a big problem for anyone that wants to listen in their car and not stream from Spotify or whatever.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #3147
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's ironic is that they marketed The Big Show as being all things other sports and would leave the Flames talk to the shows named that - but they start each show with Lou and talk Flames for 30 min.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #3148
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Wow.

Why are you so pissy?

Incredibly unprofessional of Matheson. I’ve never put much stock in the argument that Canadian media need to lay off NHL players or they won’t want to play here. But I can absolutely see Matheson’s antagonism and entitlement there weigh in to the long-term plans of Draisatl and McDavid.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #3149
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But I can absolutely see Matheson’s antagonism and entitlement there weigh in to the long-term plans of Draisatl and McDavid.
Both will be gone the moment their deals expire regardless of guys like Matheson. If the Oilers miss the playoffs this season I could see that as a tipping point for one of them and a possible trade request to get out of hell.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #3150
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's really strange. Really where else can the Flames go? There's no other sports station in the city and TSN/Bell is cutting back and not likely interested in the Calgary market.
QR77 who already have a strong relationship with CSEC via the Stamps.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #3151
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post

Thanks for the link. It was actually one of the better Spector interviews I’ve heard on there…

Having said this, I love how goaltending is still the sole focus for their media and fans alike, as if their overall team structure / commitment to team defence needs no improvement. All hopes now pinned on a savour goaltender.

I mean, it’s true what Spector said (and Warrener reinforced) about how a goalie can provide a foundation for a team, especially insofar as it can positively affect players’ confidence. But even the likes of a M-A Fleury can’t cover players left alone in the slot on the PP, or force star forwards to back check, or distribute minutes better amongst bottom nine forwards…

Maybe a guy like Fleury stands on his head enough to drag them to the playoffs, but then what? Yes, they need better goaltending, but they also need a whole lot more...

(PS: Also wanted to mention that when I initially tried to type “foundation”, autocorrect changed it to “fluid stink”. Even modern technology recognizes when you’re taking about the (c)oilers and that E = NG!)
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #3152
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how Spector asks the 960 boys how the Flames would do if Markstrom was out for a long period and they had to rely on Vladar. NHL teams employ starting goaltenders much younger than 39 years old to avoid this scenario Mark.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #3153
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like how Spector asks the 960 boys how the Flames would do if Markstrom was out for a long period and they had to rely on Vladar. NHL teams employ starting goaltenders much younger than 39 years old to avoid this scenario Mark.
agree. didn't hear the discussion but team construction is different so can't make that direct comparison- its similar to implying Lindholm and McDavid are equivalent as first line Cs

the Oilers have an injury prone olde starter as a 1A and an expensive experienced guy as 1b

Flames have paid star money for their goaltender as a bonafide 1, and then an unproven affordable new guy as the 2

Heck I think the Oilers 1B makes more than the 1A ( not positive)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #3154
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Did the 960 boys go along with it and say "yeah mark, you're right"

Or did they show a spine to the insecure pom pom waver?

The Oilers wish they had Vladar to step in.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #3155
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Markstrom has had some injury issues here and there. So... it's possible. However, Vladar has shown enough to prove that he can fill in for a short period of time. I guess the question is... who is the legit 3rd string goalie? Too early to throw Wolf in, I think. So... yeah. What are the Flames going to do with the backup position? I don't know, but Vladar will be adequate enough that the Flames wouldn't be significantly hurting if Markstrom is out for a significant portion of time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #3156
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I always think questions like this are comically stupid.

It's pretty much asking, "if your team lost one of its best and most important players, will it be tougher to win moar gamez?"

You're dumb AF if you don't know the answer to that question. Any team that loses one of its best players is going to have a tougher time winning games.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #3157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Well, Markstrom has had some injury issues here and there. So... it's possible. However, Vladar has shown enough to prove that he can fill in for a short period of time. I guess the question is... who is the legit 3rd string goalie? Too early to throw Wolf in, I think. So... yeah. What are the Flames going to do with the backup position? I don't know, but Vladar will be adequate enough that the Flames wouldn't be significantly hurting if Markstrom is out for a significant portion of time.
Devan Dubnyk is around. Or Buffalo is carrying extra goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #3158
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
agree. didn't hear the discussion but team construction is different so can't make that direct comparison- its similar to implying Lindholm and McDavid are equivalent as first line Cs

the Oilers have an injury prone olde starter as a 1A and an expensive experienced guy as 1b

Flames have paid star money for their goaltender as a bonafide 1, and then an unproven affordable new guy as the 2

Heck I think the Oilers 1B makes more than the 1A ( not positive)
More like a 2A and a 2B.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #3159
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Did the 960 boys go along with it and say "yeah mark, you're right"

Or did they show a spine to the insecure pom pom waver?

The Oilers wish they had Vladar to step in.
They went along with it for the most part but you can't really expect them to take him to task as he's a guest on the show. Spector in general was on good behaviour as he did blame the GM for the goaltending situation.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #3160
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spector is hardly a guest. And often a cheeky, rude one.

Good on him for behaving this time I guess.

I personally would rib him for spouting excuses on our airwaves because how can you pass up that opportunity?

If we allow such delusion to persist in our presence, we are enabling its ability to grow and consume more people.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: