Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #201
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The rabbit holes that someone can go down on YouTube are pretty wild. I started off by watching a few music videos which led me to some Italian DJ who did a bunch of odd mashups and remixes which took me to a bunch of orchestral EDM followed by the 2Cellos guys and finally to Steven Tyler playing at an Andrea Bocelli concert playing with the 2Cellos and doing a cover of Imagine with Andrea Bocelli. I would have never imagined that I would see this kind of stuff.
2Cellos has quite a few really good videos
Would love to see them in concert. Missed them a couple years back. Oddly enough they are actually classically trained cellists with talent… but mostly recognized for their AC/DC cello remixes.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #202
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
It’s amusing how some words mean something different in different cultures.
Look up Fanny, Australian version.
Well, in UK/Ireland too. Over there, they're called bum bags instead.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #203
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy Bacon Legs is a Hero with a capital H
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #204
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I compliment other men IDGAF
Very nsfw.

NSFW!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:40 PM   #205
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Crazy Bacon Legs is a Hero with a capital H
Recent post??
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #206
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Recent post??
They have a long history of incredibleness, but their random returns like the posts in every flames draft pick thread are solid gold.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 07-08-2022 at 06:51 PM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #207
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some undefined point people who spent a lot of time on the internet went from uncool to being cool.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #208
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
At some undefined point people who spent a lot of time on the internet went from uncool to being cool.
I think it's already swinging back to being uncool,.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #209
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got our first air fryer and we’re loving it. It’s a great invention and addition to our kitchen.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 02:26 PM   #210
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of kitchen items - any recommendations for a carbon steel frying pan? I am done with teflon and porcelain coated pans. I just want something reliably non-stick, and lighter than cast iron.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #211
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of kitchen items - any recommendations for a carbon steel frying pan? I am done with teflon and porcelain coated pans. I just want something reliably non-stick, and lighter than cast iron.
BK:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=BK

We got the 10", it's absolutely fantastic. Cooks eggs well. The handle is maybe a little long and awkward, but other than that, it's great.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #212
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
BK:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=BK

We got the 10", it's absolutely fantastic. Cooks eggs well. The handle is maybe a little long and awkward, but other than that, it's great.

I have noticed how bizarre the handles are ob most of them. There seems to be rare few that are without the high angle.

Also, reading Amazon reviews makes me wonder if people are really dumb or extremely dumb.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have noticed how bizarre the handles are ob most of them. There seems to be rare few that are without the high angle.

Also, reading Amazon reviews makes me wonder if people are really dumb or extremely dumb.

Truer words.....truer words...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:37 PM   #214
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the reviews about discoloration and scuff marks so pointless. Though I would really prefer one that won't won't warp at all, because of the flat cook top. If I had a gas stove, I wouldn't care.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a gas stove and don't care. But we've had ours a couple years, and use it all the time. I just checked and it is perfectly flat. So maybe some people are just strugglers.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #216
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a gas stove and don't care. But we've had ours a couple years, and use it all the time. I just checked and it is perfectly flat. So maybe some people are just strugglers.
They're probably rinsing it off in the sink when it's still hot or something
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #217
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about a small wok?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Joyce-Chen-21-...s%2C104&sr=8-2

I got the first Joyce Chen one for my dad and he likes it. The second Amazon link has the more reasonable price though, but it also seems the first rivet design might be better? I have no idea what the non-stick surface is for a carbon steel wok. I assume you'd strip or season over it anyways.

The one my dad has hasn't warped so far after 3-4 years and and he does do water into the wok while relatively hot to scrub and do the next cook. I think as long as the metal isn't white hot and you slide the pan off the heat for a minute or so, the metal shouldn't warp even if there's a bit of quick sizzle and steam when you put water in.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think wok are slightly more resistant to warping than typical flat bottom pans. I wonder if the curved arc helps with that. I've replaced many flat bottom pans over the years (typically within 14-30 months), but woks, non-stick and other wise, I've never had to replace... except when my wife dropped some hard heavy object into it to the point it shredded the non-stick AND dented the metal bottom .

Weight wise, it's heavier because it's more material. But because the sides are curved and you have two handles, you can easily tilt and/or slide when cooking rather than completely lift the skillet. Again, yes it would be heavier than a skillet because it's bigger, but the weight can be negated using a different technique while cooking.

Non-stick wise, always make sure the pan metal is getting close to white hot BEFORE putting the oil in. Obviously the pan must be dry. This helps to reduce sticking, even in Teflon and stainless steel pans/pots. My understanding is that with cold metal, half the oil (polymers?) are in the metal and half outside and connected to each other which is why food sticks. But if you put the oil only when it's near white hot, then the oil is only on the outside of the pan. This is my main trick for a set of stainless steel pots I bought from Costco over a decade ago. They still look relatively new.

Another trick is to use silicone spatulas or flat wood/bamboo rice scoops to cook with. That way there's no risk to scratch the surface, no risk of melting and has enough flex/leverage to do what I want to do.

I honestly do not trust my family with pots/pans. Everything goes into the dishwasher (they are lazy AF, lack awareness and I've straight up given up hope asking nicely for them to wash nice things by hand) which also contributes to effing up Teflon pots/pans and God forbid I have a carbon steel pan. I'd scream internally all the time (my Japanese knife no longer sees the light of day anymore because I do not trust them after it went through the dishwasher half a dozen times). At least with SS, I can always use a steel scrubber and not worry about it being tossed in the dishwasher. Seriously, though, you fried an egg and left the skillet on the stove. You can literally push the dried crap off the skillet with a silicone spatula with ease (hell, sneeze hard enough and it might come off) and then rinse with water and it's acceptable. Why TF is it going into the dishwasher????

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-12-2022 at 10:07 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you have a stove capable of heating a pan to white hot, and proceed to cook with it, you aren't going to have much of an egg left to eat.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #219
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think if you have a stove capable of heating a pan to white hot, and proceed to cook with it, you aren't going to have much of an egg left to eat.
Derp... sorry, not true "white hot". Translation and wording issue.

I mean I can definitely feel a slight bit of heat when I put my hand above the pan. When I was young, I was basically taught to quickly wipe the wok with a wet cloth and when I could see "white" then I add the oil. I think "white" would actually be leftover minerals or whatever from the water that evaporates due to the heat. Again, translation issue, but essentially if there's slight wetness from water in the wok, it's the moment immediately after the water evaporates and just prior to being hot enough for the water to bead (Leidenfrost effect?) which is too hot and you have to turn down the heat/wait a few moments before adding the oil to avoid the hot oil splashing.

I just set the temp to max, wait to be able to feel a bit of heat before putting in the oil. I was taught that the oil should not be added if the metal is cold or it will stick and I noticed similar results with non-stick. T-Fal even has the red dot indicator in some of their pans which is the right point to put in the oil.

If required, I then turn down the temp to drop the temp and/or lift the pan for a moment to let the oil cool to the right cooking temp if it's something as delicate as an egg. That's how I was taught for Asian cuisine and I notice a huge difference in less sticking for noodles and fried rice. It doesn't add more than 10-20 seconds to the cooking, but saves more than that for cleaning.

I was also taught that the trick has two reasons.
1. To avoid sticking to pan/wok.
2. If the oil is hot before you begin cooking (often told to wait for that one or two oil crackling sounds just prior to adding food), then excess oil supposedly doesn't absorb as much into the food and instead will drip off the food to the bottom of the bowl/plate after it is done cooking.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 07:11 AM   #220
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea until yesterday that the pope was coming to Alberta.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote