Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #481
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The thing about Hamonic he was not brought in to be a typical number 4 D. The Flames wanted 2 pairs that on most teams in the league would be top pairs. It didn’t matter if it was Gio-Hamilton or Brodie-Hamonic the opposition was going to go up against an elite pair.

Hamonic has been a fine top 4 blueliner but has been close to the top 2 Dman the Flames paid for.
No, I think the flames got what they were expecting.( I mean if he was a top 2 defenceman with his contract he probably would of cost a lot more then a first and two seconds)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #482
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing about Hamonic he was not brought in to be a typical number 4 D. The Flames wanted 2 pairs that on most teams in the league would be top pairs. It didn’t matter if it was Gio-Hamilton or Brodie-Hamonic the opposition was going to go up against an elite pair.

Hamonic has been a fine top 4 blueliner but has been close to the top 2 Dman the Flames paid for.
Has or hasn't been? Still, did they pay for a top 2 d-man? Seems like a bargain if so. I think they paid for a 2nd pairing, and got pretty much that.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #483
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it was all a subtle suggestion to start playing more Taylor Swift...
Old 01-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #484
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

They paid for a solid 3/4 Dman on a really good contract. The price for that was quite reasonable.

And I fully expect that they will get their money's worth over the course of his contract. A combination of him adjusting to a new team, and Brodie having some struggles this year, had him off to a slow start. But nothing to be concerned about - he's been looking a lot better for the past while.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #485
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Doesnt look like much of a shake up. Dissapointed
If the Flames are going to make a big trade, or hire a new coach it is not going to happen overnight. Be patient.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #486
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The Flames likely overpaid in that they were the team will to pony up the asking price, but I also strongly believe that if they didn't - they would not have gotten the player.
I agree with this. There was a bidding war for Hamonic, and the Flames made the highest bid.

I don't dislike the player. I just think it was too high a price to pay for an injury--prone 2nd pairing d-man coming off a bad season.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #487
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Doesnt look like much of a shake up. Dissapointed

It’s possible the shake up plan is a new coaching staff however it’s hard to fire a guy coming off an emotional win against a, usually, very good team. I feel Gulutzan is on borrowed time and he’s gone as soon as the team falters again. He better coach like his job depends on it these next 2 games against divisional opponents, because it probably does.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #488
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It’s pretty clear the player was overvalued by Treliving. With better goaltending the team is at nearly the same pace as last season. Meanwhile the Islanders haven’t really missed him.
Lol, okay.

Know what’s funny? The Isles traded Hamonic, and right after were in search of a top 4 defenseman. Now that De Haan is out, they need him more than ever. Guarantee they would trade our first rounder for him back.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #489
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames are going to make a big trade, or hire a new coach it is not going to happen overnight. Be patient.
I guess they have to find said coach first! But its hard being patient as a Flames fan. I feel like of been Patient since 1990.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #490
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Know what’s funny? The Isles traded Hamonic, and right after were in search of a top 4 defenseman. Now that De Haan is out, they need him more than ever. Guarantee they would trade our first rounder for him back.
LOL...for argument sake

They'll have to add their first round to our first rounder to get Hamonic back.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #491
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shake it up.

I'm ready.

I'll echo that Stone/Hoffman out of Ottawa would either be solid additions to the top 6 that fit in with the age group. Let's get Tkachuk a highly skilled linemate he can feed off of. Backlund and Fro have extremely low shooting percentages this year which has stifled that lines production.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #492
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Has the shake up happened yet? C'mon Flames, I don't have all day.

Can someone tweet this GIF to John Shannon?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #493
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
People keep saying this but it isn't true.

They were 21st last season in team save percentage at .907
This year they are 17th at .910

They are getting killed by shooting percentage at 23rd in the league.

If they scored at the rate they did last year with their shots against and scoring differentials as is this team would be deep into the playoffs by now. (14th last season, 26th this season, and a full percentage point out, costing them 14 goals thus far)

Why are they low on the shooting percentage totem poll? Treliving was worried where the goals were going to come from, and the powerplay has been abysmal. That's a start.

But Smith hasn't saved this team. It's a false narrative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Smith is 10x goalie to what we had last year. Anyone not legally blind can see that.

Let's not forget that we saw stats suggesting that Conklin was better than Brodeaur.

So yes maybe the stats tell you that goaltending is the same, but without Smith this team is below .500 right now. He stole a few to start the year and been solid for most of the season. Had 2 or 3 sub par games. Last year was a goaltending disaster. Probably worst goaltending in the NHL.
I completely agree with your interpretation that Smith has been miles better than what we had last year and has kept us in a few games on top of the ones he straight up stole.

I would like to point out though, that although Bingo's stat did come off a little disingenuous (including Lack's .813 and Gillies .750 in the .910 stat and then following the stat up with "Mike Smith hasn't saved this team" as if it was Mike Smith with a .910) you did kind of just call the owner of this site legally blind.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #494
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Has or hasn't been? Still, did they pay for a top 2 d-man? Seems like a bargain if so. I think they paid for a 2nd pairing, and got pretty much that.
Hasn’t been.

We paid the same price for a 22 year old coming off a top pair season and 40+ points in Boston.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #495
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Almost nothing would be worse at this point then if its true the Flames are just waiting for the right moment to fire the coaching staff - valuable points against wild card rivals will slip by if management thinks its good practice to leave a lame duck staff in place - and Flames management will have slipped to its ultimate low. Its not like the players are totally in the dark on this one. If a new coaching staff is the shake up - it should have happened instantly after the leak to the media.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #496
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It really sucks that as soon as we shored up the goaltending the offense dropped fairly significantly. Patch one hole and another springs up, despite dressing largely the same personnel.

Definitely very happy with the goalie combo right now with both goalies exceeding .920 which was the mark CP pegged would be needed to be successful. Will be disappointing if they don't make that adjustment to try and take advantage of what's pretty much been a gift between the pipes, after being what has ailed the flames for some time.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #497
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Almost nothing would be worse at this point then if its true the Flames are just waiting for the right moment to fire the coaching staff - valuable points against wild card rivals will slip by if management thinks its good practice to leave a lame duck staff in place - and Flames management will have slipped to its ultimate low. Its not like the players are totally in the dark on this one. If a new coaching staff is the shake up - it should have happened instantly after the leak to the media.
Flames could be in weeks long negotiation with Sutter or Tippet right now and trying to hammer out the T’s and C’s. Maybe they approached Darryl and offered a 3 year contract at $3M per and he countered with 5x5?

Deciding to trade a core player or fire the coach is not a quick process.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #498
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sutter is a much better short term coach than long term. 3 years would be the limit of term for me. He made hay in the first couple years with LA as well as the Flames but lost the players later on.

Don't want tippett. Aspiring to be the coyotes, even when they were half decent is not the model any team should be striving for. They'd be making the on ice product visually worse on top of that. Would be another painful, low offense system while being a bit more frustrating to play against than what GG employs.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #499
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hasn’t been.

We paid the same price for a 22 year old coming off a top pair season and 40+ points in Boston.
It's universally accepted that was a steal though, i.e. below market value, so choosing that to set the market is unrealistic. Looking for comparables is difficult because age, assets and contracts are rarely close enough but I'd say it's better than the Larsson deal, similar to the Gudbranson deal but worse than a few too, say methot.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #500
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Can someone tweet this GIF to John Shannon?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post: