Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 01:04 PM   #3161
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I am being cynical, but I really believe the likeliness that anybody based their purchase on a house, because of the neighbourhood’s current zoning is pretty close to 0. It probably didn’t even cross anybody’s mind. If it did, colour me shocked.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 01:07 PM   #3162
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not everybody really gives af about owning a home, and once you can get past that and realize that it’s very little more than just something people believe they need to check off their list in adulting requirements, the happier people would be.
My guess is that clip is cut and out of context. Young people, sinks and dinks for example, probably dont' want to own because the factors that go into selecting a place to live when you are 33 and have children is completely different from when you're 25 and single.

A lot of the younger folks in my profession live in apartments due to the proximity to downtown, work, restaurants etc.. and will own later. Buying a 450,000 house in Cranston isn't in line with their lifestyle. I don't think that's a controversial thing.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:08 PM   #3163
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Imagine being such a lazy piece of trash that the idea of walking to a grocery store is a huge problem. Another reason why our health care struggles.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #3164
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Imagine being such a lazy piece of trash that the idea of walking to a grocery store is a huge problem. Another reason why our health care struggles.

Imagine if you could reply to those comments.

“get some exercise, fatty!”

“hey white trash, park in your garage like a normal person”
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:32 PM   #3165
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I am being cynical, but I really believe the likeliness that anybody based their purchase on a house, because of the neighbourhood’s current zoning is pretty close to 0. It probably didn’t even cross anybody’s mind. If it did, colour me shocked.
And yet, 99% of the written submissions opposing upzoning say 'I was looking for an RC-1 designated neighbourhood when I purchased my house'

Yeah####ingright.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:59 PM   #3166
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I saw a decent comment to the parking issue:

If you park on your own property, then parking shouldn't be an issue. If you need to park on the street, then your house is equally contributing to the problem.
I think this is a fair comment, when I had a tiny little 2 story starter house, every single house had a parking pad in the alley. It was all out parking wars on the street, and you could circle the alley driving past empty parking pad after empty parking pad. A lot of these people are their own worst enemies.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:59 PM   #3167
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Won’t someone think of the trees?

Warning reading the full article will lower your IQ.

Quote:
City's rezoning push at odds with desire to preserve trees
Quote:
In a recent Herald article, we learned that there has been a decline in the size of Calgary’s urban forest and the city wants to become more stringent in enforcing the rules around removing trees on private property. Of course, that only seems to apply in locations where city council has not decided to remove an old bungalow and replace it with high-density housing that extends almost to the property lines. In many of those areas where two infills have been developed on a 50-foot lot, it has been possible to save all or most of the trees. But in this new density concept — oblivious to history or the value of community — the trees get bulldozed to cram as many people as possible onto lots.
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...preserve-trees
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:11 PM   #3168
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
I think that's being overly harsh, tbh. The problem is that far too many North American cities were designed in the style of post-WWII low density single-use residential suburbs where being 100% car dependent is a feature. It isn't reasonable to expect someone living in Yop Gobblerville to walk to a grocery store because quite simply there aren't any grocery stores near them located within a reasonable walking distance. If they need to do something as mundane as buying a jug of milk, that's a trip they have no choice but to make in a car. It's a huge failing in North American urban design that we've made large percentages of our population totally car dependent, and now those same people are fighting tooth and nail against any attempts to fix the problem..

Their error is in thinking that their lifestyle also applies to everyone else, but all of us who choose to live in walkable mixed-use communities know there is a better way.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #3169
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just buy too much at once. I hate shopping so I don't want to have to go more often just to have an amount of bags to comfortably that long, and I'm not getting a wagon or something.

But the notion that 'durr I don't do it therefore nobody does it, so why make it a thing' is so completely braindead
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:30 PM   #3170
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Won’t someone think of the trees?
This, but unironically.

Trees are important for good urban design. They give shade, make communities more walkable, improve air quality, sequester carbon, and moderate the temp in our increasingly hot summers.

https://www.calgary.ca/environment/c...opy-cover.html

The loss of the urban canopy should be factored into the tradeoffs around densification proposals.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:37 PM   #3171
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But they undoubtedly had an implicit understanding and expectation of zoning, that a neighborhood that is mostly single family homes at the time of their purchase will remain that way and change slowly.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:43 PM   #3172
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
But they undoubtedly had an implicit understanding and expectation of zoning, that a neighborhood that is mostly single family homes at the time of their purchase will remain that way and change slowly.
And that is exactly what will happen if this proposal passes.

Either that or fire and brimstone falling down from the skies, rivers and poop lakes boiling, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living in row houses...MASS HYSTERIA!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:57 PM   #3173
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This, but unironically.

Trees are important for good urban design. They give shade, make communities more walkable, improve air quality, sequester carbon, and moderate the temp in our increasingly hot summers.

https://www.calgary.ca/environment/c...opy-cover.html

The loss of the urban canopy should be factored into the tradeoffs around densification proposals.
Please explain the relevance to rezoning. You don’t think that they cut down trees for single-family home infills they only do when building duplex infills?

Or maybe you were going to say that you’re strongly against the expansion of our suburbs because of the wanton destruction of natural habitat that they cause that takes decades to rebuild. Whereas rezoning would allow densification without such harmful effects.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:03 PM   #3174
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:07 PM   #3175
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ruined neighbourhood:
Spoiler!

About-to-be-ruined neighbourhood:
Spoiler!

Perfection:
Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:40 PM   #3176
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Ruined neighbourhood:
Spoiler!

About-to-be-ruined neighbourhood:
Spoiler!

Perfection:
Spoiler!
Now show one with 4 rowhouses, on a 50 ft lot, built between two single detached houses.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:45 PM   #3177
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

See, density destroys the tree canopy and there is nowhere to park:

Spoiler!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #3178
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Now show one with 4 rowhouses, on a 50 ft lot, built between two single detached houses.
Why don't you show one, lazybones?

Have fun trying to find one.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:15 PM   #3179
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think talking to people, they are picturing Soviet era apartment housing. The most against this are people who immigrated from Poland and now have places in Aspen estates.

Not reasonable but that’s what Iv’e heard.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:16 PM   #3180
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Why don't you show one, lazybones?

Have fun trying to find one.
If I had to find one to prove the point they are trying to make, it would be this 4 unit one:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/e8cQCzmNMaAQSxSR9

Because previously the lot had many many more trees on it:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ybyEc6GYV8CniqTJ6

But this could have been done nicer with trees instead of...weedy gravel.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote