Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon37 Sens exploring trade market with DeBrincat

Pretty big news here from Elliotte:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1665809016591884288

Quote:
There is word Monday afternoon that the Ottawa Senators have begun examining the trade market for winger Alex DeBrincat.

One source referred to it as “Ottawa’s due diligence,” as, according to multiple people, DeBrincat recently indicated he wished to wait until the completion of the Senators’ ownership saga before thinking of committing to a long-term extension. Even if the Senators pick a new owner in the near future, there’s still the sale-closing process — which will take time.

DeBrincat needs a new contract for 2023-24. He is one year away from unrestricted free agency.

As a result, the team is considering all options, everything from taking him to arbitration to a trade. With the NHL Draft 23 days away, the Senators absolutely need to know what could be available in exchange. (Neither GM Pierre Dorion nor agent Jeff Jackson would comment to Sportsnet.)

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #2
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1665811847394541568
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kadri for debrincat, build a Conroy statue in front of the new arena.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprising. 9M Qualifying offer (or did a rule on that change?), coming off a below average year for him.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #5
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they probably have to take him to arbitration right...similar to the Flames with Tkachuk as that prevents him just taking the Qualifying Offer.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was pretty clearly what was going to happen the moment Ottawa acquired him. That was such a bad trade. Ottawa's predictable impatience has impacted the ceiling of their rebuild in my eyes. 7th overall + 39th overall + 3rd in 2024, I can't imagine they're going to extract that much value out of this.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:12 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
So they probably have to take him to arbitration right...similar to the Flames with Tkachuk as that prevents him just taking the Qualifying Offer.
Also prevents another team from giving an offer sheet as well, which is partly what I think Treliving was thinking at the time.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This was pretty clearly what was going to happen the moment Ottawa acquired him. That was such a bad trade. Ottawa's predictable impatience has impacted the ceiling of their rebuild in my eyes. 7th overall + 39th overall + 3rd in 2024, I can't imagine they're going to extract that much value out of this.
Yup. I am hoping he isn't open to signing here otherwise I could the Flames trade for him this offseason to try and stay competitive after trading away a mixture of the upcoming UFAs and further extending their bubble run.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yup. I am hoping he isn't open to signing here otherwise I could the Flames trade for him this offseason to try and stay competitive after trading away a mixture of the upcoming UFAs and further extending their bubble run.
I certainly wouldn't object to the Flames trading away a bunch of 30+ guys and flipping the assets for a 25-year-old signed long-term

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #10
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I certainly wouldn't object to the Flames trading away a bunch of 30+ guys and flipping the assets for a 25-year-old signed long-term
I'd rather they just trade the UFAs and keep the assets. DeBrincat won't make the Flames a contender if Kadri is their #1 center.

Last edited by Bonded; 06-05-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Debrincat is a tough one for me. Some of the best hands in the game, when it comes to putting the puck in the net. He's also tiny, but doesn't play like that.

If the Flames can talk him down a bit on price and a find a way to retain Lindholm, it would actually be pretty great. Maybe a Hanafin or Tanev deal.

Debrincat isn't that franchise player, but he consistently puts pucks in the net, even when his team is behind, something the Flames were sorely lacking.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #12
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I could see the rangers being very interested. Move one of Kakko or Laf in a package for him, sign long term, and maybe get Kane signed cheap to play together again
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really unsurprising. It seems they have too many forwards and not enough defenders. I was always confused at the trade for him because he doesn't quite fit their needs or their window for competing.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:57 PM   #14
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be ideal if the Flames could trade Kadri and keep Lindy. If the Flames can get younger that would be a good signing. Plus Debrincatis is a right hand shot.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #15
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another guy for Connor and Leon to convince to take a big paycut to win multiple Cups. Because we've been told they're close.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #16
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last three seasons at 5V5

Player A: GP: 215, TOI: 3168. G: 46, P: 98 48.3% XGF%

Player B: GP: 220, TOI: 2782, G: 53, P: 98 57.9% XGF%

Personally I wouldn't be moving assets to get Debrincat (Player A), when we have a similar player already in Mangiapane (Player B)

If we are going to move premium assets I think it needs to be for a center.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #17
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Last three seasons at 5V5

Player A: GP: 215, TOI: 3168. G: 46, P: 98 48.3% XGF%

Player B: GP: 220, TOI: 2782, G: 53, P: 98 57.9% XGF%

Personally I wouldn't be moving assets to get Debrincat (Player A), when we have a similar player already in Mangiapane (Player B)

If we are going to move premium assets I think it needs to be for a center.
Except because Debrincat is a top line kind of guy, he gets power play time and the Flames need a good power play guy who can carry the puck.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Wheeler has Korchinski (who the Hawks drafted with the 7th overall pick) ranked #12 for NHL drafted prospects. Projecting to be a top-pairing guy. Will probably be a second-pairing guy while he’s still on his entry-level contract. In 3 seasons, the Sens are going to be wishing they had a player that slotted in like that.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #19
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Not surprising. 9M Qualifying offer (or did a rule on that change?), coming off a below average year for him.
The rule changed, but only during the CBA extension negotiated during COVID and only applies to contracts signed since then. DeBrincat's contract was signed in 2019, so it still has the $9 million QO.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #20
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except because Debrincat is a top line kind of guy, he gets power play time and the Flames need a good power play guy who can carry the puck.
Maybe. Maybe we should just be giving Mangiapane more PP time.

If Debrincat is a top line kind of guy at 5v5 then why isn't Mangiapane? Production states they are very similar and Mangiapane technically out produces him at 5v5.

The PP production is so dependent on role within the PP, and how the PP is set up. I'm not sure I'm trading for a player based strictly on their PP performance, too much risk it won't carry over.

The way we look at PP production and total production is so funny. I look at Tyler Toffoli this past season...he was given a prime role as a focal point on our top PP (ahead of even Lindholm as a RH shot option IMO). Everyone is very excited by has career season with 73 points. But what is missed is a big part of that is because he was given his first real shot at top line PP minutes in his career. His 25 points were 13 higher than his previous best season at 12 points (Sell high candidate alert!).

At 5v5 Mangiapane is actually better than Debrincat based on counting stats and analytics...but for some reason I'm led to believe that Debrincat provides all this extra value on the PP that Mangiapane can't provide. Or maybe it's just the opportunity, just like it was for Toffoli.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-05-2023 at 04:28 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: