Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 10:09 AM   #1381
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The Sharks, assuming they’re steering away from Michkov, have the easiest pick to make based on Columbus’ pick.
Disagree. Sharks could easily fumble this. 4th pick is a tough one. There is serious statistical range between the next best available there. Using Bingo's average ranking numbers:

Michkov 3.5
Will Smith 5.25
Benson 7.5
Leonard 9.25

Or apparently Reinbacher at 12.6

It should be Michkov and hope the limited viewings and hype are right and he will want to and can be in California sooner or play it safe with Will Smith. But Reinbacher at 4 would be something to behold.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #1382
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Disagree. Sharks could easily fumble this. 4th pick is a tough one. There is serious statistical range between the next best available there. Using Bingo's average ranking numbers:

Michkov 3.5
Will Smith 5.25
Benson 7.5
Leonard 9.25

Or apparently Reinbacher at 12.6

It should be Michkov and hope the limited viewings and hype are right and he will want to and can be in California sooner or play it safe with Will Smith. But Reinbacher at 4 would be something to behold.
In the end it's always tough to say because it only takes a GM falling in love with a player to make these lists mean nothing.

I recall people being shocked that Moritz Seider went ahead of Cozens, and Zegras in 2019.

"Consensus" rankings that year had Seider at 18! https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nh...final-rankings. But in the end there is no such thing as a Consensus list.

At this point I'd probably still rather have Zegras than Seider...but Seider is probably in the top three behind Hughes and Zegras (IMO).
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #1383
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 days until the draft.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #1384
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
20 days until the draft.
Speaking of which, does anyone know why they moved the draft to mid-week this year?

It's going to be weird to sit down to watch the first round on a Wednesday night, and especially weird to try to follow along to the rest of the draft on a Thursday morning.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:43 AM   #1385
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
In the end it's always tough to say because it only takes a GM falling in love with a player to make these lists mean nothing.

I recall people being shocked that Moritz Seider went ahead of Cozens, and Zegras in 2019.

"Consensus" rankings that year had Seider at 18! https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nh...final-rankings. But in the end there is no such thing as a Consensus list.

At this point I'd probably still rather have Zegras than Seider...but Seider is probably in the top three behind Hughes and Zegras (IMO).
Agree with everything there except Zegras over Seider. A big, minute-munching, two-way #1D is more valuable than anyone except an elite #1C. And while Zegras has elite offensive skills, he’s still very one-dimensional and shaky without the puck.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:02 AM   #1386
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Agree with everything there except Zegras over Seider. A big, minute-munching, two-way #1D is more valuable than anyone except an elite #1C. And while Zegras has elite offensive skills, he’s still very one-dimensional and shaky without the puck.
He's also played on just terrible defensive teams overall.

I still think he has elite #1C potential...honestly it's probably a toss up between him and Seider and I think both Detroit and Anaheim are very happy with getting them where they did in that draft.

And looking at Reinbacher and I wonder if some team feels the same around him being that minute-munching #1D and putting premium value in that.

Only one other dmen has put up more than 0.45 PPG in the Swiss National League as an 18 year old - Roman Josi.

He's showed well at the WJC as a 17 and 18 year old. Played at the World Championships.

If you think you are getting a Roman Josi then I could see why you're doing that in the top 5 of a draft.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-08-2023 at 11:23 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 06:58 PM   #1387
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1666955627397275650
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 07:06 PM   #1388
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish Flames traded Lindholm to Columbus's 1st 2023 /unprotected/ last offseason when Gaudreau signed with them.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:30 PM   #1389
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wrong thread

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 06-08-2023 at 07:49 PM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #1390
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't get myself excited about anybody in the top 5 or 10 because there's a slim to none chance that the Flames can make a trade to get one of those picks. Leo Carlsson sounds like a dream though. I'll envy whoever picks him.
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #1391
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I wish Flames traded Lindholm to Columbus's 1st 2023 /unprotected/ last offseason when Gaudreau signed with them.

I wish they traded him for Nathan Mackinnon and Cale Makar along with a lifetime supply of dome foam
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:28 AM   #1392
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I can't get myself excited about anybody in the top 5 or 10 because there's a slim to none chance that the Flames can make a trade to get one of those picks. Leo Carlsson sounds like a dream though. I'll envy whoever picks him.
I think once you get past 5+Mikhov it gets pretty unpredictable.
There are concentrations of tiers on the lists, but even within those I think it's still pretty unpredictable from about 7 beyond.
I figured a guy like Sandin Pelleka would be long gone by 16 but now I can see him being there.
And I still think Wallinder is a name to watch for the Flames. He could also go in the top 10 though.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #1393
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1st round Draft picks are seldom traded unprotected anymore, especially since all non-playoff teams can move up.

Last edited by The Cobra; 06-10-2023 at 05:21 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:10 AM   #1394
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some Draft Re-entries to consider:

-LHD Hudson Thornton, 5'11",181lbs, 19yo, D+1. Thornton was 5th in D scoring in the WHL, with 74 points in 68 games with Prince George. He is one of the most dangerous threats offensively in the league, and often the spear of the attack for the Cougs. He's a transition ace, and uses deception to move through the neutral zone, or he can use his accurate breakout passes, and often skates the puck in deep by himself. He's comfortable and confident running things from the point, and can pinch in, attacking the front of the net. He exudes creativity and vision, and he also has a good shot. His defensive commitment is much better this year, and so is his mobility and puck-skills, but he has to keep building these assets. He may always be a bit prone to mental errors, though.

-RHD Eric Pohlkamp, 5'11",205lbs, 19yo, D+1. This kid won Defenseman of the Year in the USHL, after scoring 51 points in 59 games, and tying for first in D scoring. Since 2011, 9 of 10 winners of this trophy have earned NHL deals, and 8 of them have played games, including Owen Power, Neal Pionk, and Brandon Montour. Pohlkamp isn't big, but he plays a throwback style, with his gritty play, physicality, and thunderous hits. He's a killer against the rush, and solid defensively. His powerful shot can beat goalies from the point, but despite eye-popping numbers, he keeps his passing and playmaking very basic, simple, and as efficient as possible. Mobility-wise, he's a smooth skater, but he needs work in powering up his stride for better speed and acceleration.

-LHC Markus Vidicek, 5'10",157lbs, 19yo, D+1. Wears the "A" for Halifax of the QMJHL, where he posted 80 points in 68 regular-season games, and 17 points in 21 playoff games. Vidicek is a smart and hardworking 200-ft player, who is as relentless on the forecheck, as he is on the backcheck. He plays in every situation for the Mooseheads, and he's responsible in all three zones. Big numbers, but doesn't play a very flashy game- he keeps it simple and effective. Vidicek needs to bulk up significantly, and get stronger, as well as improve his top speed.

-D Oskar Asplund, 5'11",172lbs, 19yo, D+1. 30 pts in 49 games in the Sweden's AllSvenskan, the second-tier league- 1st for U20 Defensemen by a whopping 18 points. He's a smooth skating, two-way transitional D.

-D Luke Mittlestadt, 5'11",174lbs, 20yo, D+2. Casey's brother probably should've been drafted after the 2021-22 season, his second year of eligibility, after he was 3rd in the USHL for defensemen in scoring, with 55 points in 60 games. This year, he played in the NCAA for Minnesota, a very deep squad in defensemen, so he was carefully managed by his coach as a younger offensive D and given the most advantageous matchups, along with second PP duty. Still, his output of 21 points in 38 games was impressive. Mittlestadt also made Team USA's offering at the WJC, with 3 points in 7 games. He is in his element running the offense from the point, and he distributes well from there, but he also owns an excellent shot that he usually gets through traffic. He can pinch well, and has the sense to know when to do so, and he has excellent puck skills. He runs a PP calmly and confidently, and is proactive enough to be able to kill plays in the neutral zone. The main complaint about Mittlestadt in his draft year was his skating, and while he's cleaned it up a fair bit, he needs more work.

-RW Davis Burnside, 6'0",181lbs, 19yo, D+1. 40gp/14g/7a/21pts this year, his first in the NCAA, outscoring 1st-and 2nd-round picks like Isaac Howard, Dylan James, Jack Hughes, and Rieger Lorenz, as well as Red Savage. Impressive totals for a 19 year-old. He's smart, hard-working, mean, and plays a responsible two-way game.

-RW/C Austin Roest, 5'10",165lbs, 19yo, D+1. Roest more than doubled last year's output, with 78 points in 60 games for Everett (WHL). The son of Stacy Roest is a forechecking demon, sturdy on his skates with strong speed and footwork. Like his father, Austin has a top-tier work ethic, some grit, and a relentless motor. He owns a cerebral offensive game, and strong awareness defensively. Roest is a good hockey player, but it remains to be seen if his numbers show enough growth to deserve a team spending a draft-pick on him.

-C Kocha Delic, 5'10",183lbs, 19yo, D+1. 52pts in 46 games for Sudbury of the OHL. KD is a sparkplug with no fear, and high motor. He's a transition ace, who plays an inside-driven offensive game, highlighted by his playmaking skills. Needs some work on his mobility.

-LHD Spencer Sova, 6'1",185lbs, 19yo, D+1. Sova plays for the second-worst team in the OHL, the Erie Otters, but still managed 39 points in 68 games. There's already a solid base of defensive ability, and an NHL-caliber rush-defense. He has excellent mobility, and his edgework and agility blend with his deception skills to give him the elusiveness to weave through traffic. He's not afraid to play a physical game, or battle in the rough areas. Sova needs to work on refining his overall offensive game, which will be hard to do playing for the Otters.

-D Rodwin Dionicio, 6'2",205lbs, 19yo, D+1. I was surprised this kid wasn't drafted last year. He started off this year with 7 points in 17 games for Niagara (OHL), but absolutely exploded after being moved to Windsor, with a whopping 43 points in 33 games. Dionicio has been tried a forward a few times over his time in junior, as he was converted to D only a few years ago. He's intelligent and skilled, and is hard for opponents to read, as he plays a highly deceptive, manipulative game, throwing off attackers with little fakes, head movements, and changes in pace and direction. He also exhibits good puck-protection, which he needs, as speed is still a limiting factor. Highly physical, with play-killing instincts. If he can bring his mobility up to par, look out!

-D Niks Fenenko, 6'1",176lbs, 18yo, D+1. In 2021-22, he had 40pts in 62 games for Baie-Comeau (QMJHL), and this season, he put up 37 points in 56 games. He was a part of Latvia's entries in the WJC for the last 2 years. Picked 1st overall in 2021's Import Draft. In his first year in the league, Fenenko was already one of the best shutdown D in the Q, with an advanced defensive game, and above-average speed and footwork for that purpose. He needs work on his offensive game, and his handling skills.

-C Justin Gill, 6'1",187lbs, 20yo, D+2. Gill is in his third year playing for Sherbrooke, and has grown with the team, as they weren't near the powerhouse they were this year when he was a rookie. 93 points in 68 games, playing with Ethan Gauthier and Joshua Roy this past season. Gill's creativity has bloomed, along with his puckhandling and playmaking- he's much more patient now, and scans for the right play, instead of forcing things. He's a fairly good skater, but needs more explosiveness and agility. He's motivated defensively, but his own-zone game has warts. Volume shooter, with a good shot, and he's a faceoff ace.

-D Jeremy Hanzel, 6'1",192lbs, 20yo, D+2. The Thunderbirds defenseman had 48 points in 66 games, and is a high-level activator and playmaker. He's taken steps defensively, and is now one of the WHL's best play-killers, and he's added extra layers of deception to his game. He had more TOI in the playoffs than Kevin Korchinski, or Nolan Allan. Good mobility, but needs an extra separation gear.

-LHRW Hannes Hellberg, 6'1"185lbs, 18yo, D+1. Finished 5th in the J20 in Sweden, playing for Leksands, with 42gp/34g/23a/57pts, and 1st in goals. His performance earned him a game in the SHL, and another in the HockeyEttan- disappointing that he didn't get more games in the higher leagues, but perhaps an indication that he has some warts to work through. Obviously, he's as pure goal-scorer as you can get, but he actually has decent playmaking skills as well. He employs strong puck-protection, and handling skill to weave through traffic. He also has good defensive awareness. Double-H is a good skater, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

-W Maros Jedlicka, 6'2",201lbs, 20yo, D+2. I liked him in his draft year. In 2021-22, he was first in scoring by a huge margin for U20 players in Slovakia's top league, with 38 points in 44 games. This year, he placed 1st in scoring for U21 players by 11 points, with 35 points in 39 games. MJ is a quick and efficient two-way competitor, and is a highly physical agitator. He plays in all situations, including both sides of special teams.

-C/LW Theo Keilin, 5'11",181lbs, 19yo, D+1. Keilin was 11th in the J20 with 48 points in 29 games, but his 1.66 ppg was the best in the top-50 scorers. He was rewarded with an incredible 33 games in the SHL. Keilin loves to have the puck on his stick, especially in the offensive zone. He's smart and sneaky, with a nose for the net, and high level vision and IQ. Very good on the breakout, but needs work on his skating, strength, and defense.

-C/RW Cole Knuble, 5'11",183lbs, only 18 yo(!), D+1. The son of Mike Knuble was 9th this season in the USHL with 66 points in 57 games, and plays an NHL-style game- highlighted by his off-puck awareness. Knuble plays with energy and motor, with a high work-ethic, and drive. Despite his size, he battles all over the ice to secure possession for his team, and plays with physicality. He's a threat from everywhere in the offensive zone- he's both an excellent shooter and passer, and the puck seems to follow him. Knuble also has a responsible, sound defensive game. Like most on this list, he needs a bit of work on his skating going forward.

-RW Braeden Bowman, 6'2",194lbs, 19yo, D+2. Bowman wears an "A" in Guelph, where he put up 33 goals and 72 points in just 54 games. Bowman's main attributes lie in his pro-active off-puck game, and his solid defensive game. Offensively, he keeps it very simple and doesn't hold on to the puck very long, relying on quick possession, but he does own a fine array of shots, including his powerful one-timer. He can make plays, but likely won't ever be a big offensive threat in the pros. The off-puck game he employs gives him the awareness to position himself in the right spots to kill plays both in the neutral zone, and across the blueline- and he likes the physical game. He works hard, and has a high motor. His skating has improved, but remains his true weakness. If his mobility isn't improved, he won't make it to the NHL.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 07:43 AM   #1395
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wishes for the flames this draft.

1 - Skill
2 - Skill
3 - Skill

And no prospects with severe skating issues.

Can play it safe with our first and second round picks as we should be able to find good prospects with those picks. But after that where it’s more of a crapshoot, swing for the fences. The draft is where you find elite talent. Would be disappointed if we pick prospects whose ceilings are 3rd/4th liners or bottom pair d. No more Cole Huckin or Riley Bruce type picks. Can find players like that in overage chl or unsigned ncaa players.

And don’t discount bloodlines. Sons of former nhl players are out there, and all other things being equal, those kids grew up around the game and in all likelihood inherited some of the same physical attributes that helped their dads make the show.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 08:02 AM   #1396
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If they had Lindholm they probably would have been slightly less terrible.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:06 AM   #1397
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was listening to the combine interviews, and I thought it was interesting that Connor Bedard thinks Andrew Cristall is the "smartest player he's ever seen".
And that's saying something, because Bedard himself considers his own strength to be his hockey IQ. Apparently the two are close friends, so it could be why Bedard speaks so highly of Cristall.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 08:52 AM   #1398
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I was listening to the combine interviews, and I thought it was interesting that Connor Bedard thinks Andrew Cristall is the "smartest player he's ever seen".
And that's saying something, because Bedard himself considers his own strength to be his hockey IQ. Apparently the two are close friends, so it could be why Bedard speaks so highly of Cristall.
Maybe Chicago picks him with #19.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #1399
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Speaking of draft over agers, there is a couple of interesting goalies available in Adam Gajan D+1 and Juha Jatkola D+3. FC ranks Gajan at #76 and EP ranks him at #100. Wheeler has Gajan at #68. Jatkola is all over the place with FC ranking him at #94 while EP ranks him at #294.

I kind of like the idea of picking an older goalie who has had a little extra time to work on his game.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 09:01 AM   #1400
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's universally commented among scouts that Cristalls skating needs real work. Not Chucky levels of perception. But actual foundational work.id pass at 16.

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft