Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #61
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how working from home during the pandemic ended with people putting more hours in almost across the board
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's funny how working from home during the pandemic ended with people putting more hours in almost across the board
Yeah, not I, but I think you're largely right in that assertion.

I was still full-time in the Office during the Pandemic...but I have my own office, so it was fine. We modified the drop-off/pick-up procedures, cleaning procedures, etc.

But what really happened with me was that the combination of Pandemic Benefits, Business Loans, low interest rates meaning financing for cars and mortgages was advantageous, etc.

Everybody needed something from me at some point. I had people just coming out of the woodwork getting their financial documents in order so they could qualify for something or other.

It was goddamned wild.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #63
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNaMo View Post
I have so much of this free paid time I could be taking advantage of but don't know how best to use it.
I usually do one of three things when I'm in that position..

Training - Some kind of training, doesn't even have to be related to my job. One employer would pay for almost any kind of training even if totally unrelated to the job, their reasoning was if it makes you a better person it makes you a better employee. Though might be more difficult to justify a class on poetry about love from the Renaissance.

Project - I'll make a project for myself to expand my skills. Again doesn't have to be completely related to my job or beneficial to the company but it doesn't hurt, though if it actually touches or changes things then it would probably need more approval. I've done things that I just wanted to learn more about that eventually ended up being part of how we did things and helped.

Kaizen - If it's a case where the above two would be frowned upon, then I've talked to my boss to try and do some kaizen type stuff about process, or identify some of the most manual and painful things and automate or improve them.. find things we can eliminate, etc. It's easy to get stuck in a process and often there's no time to do retrospectives and figure out how to improve things.

I guess number 4 would be YouTube.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #64
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, not I, but I think you're largely right in that assertion.

I was still full-time in the Office during the Pandemic...but I have my own office, so it was fine. We modified the drop-off/pick-up procedures, cleaning procedures, etc.

But what really happened with me was that the combination of Pandemic Benefits, Business Loans, low interest rates meaning financing for cars and mortgages was advantageous, etc.

Everybody needed something from me at some point. I had people just coming out of the woodwork getting their financial documents in order so they could qualify for something or other.

It was goddamned wild.
But...billable hours!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #65
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
For me the pandemic was tough because I transitioned to working entirely from home and that was when work-life balance actually started to feel impossible, ironically enough. I’m much happier now that I can spend most days working at the office, check out around 6 and be home for dinner and a board game with the kids most nights.
I think that this is an important key element. Can you leave your work 'behind' and enjoy your life when not at work...or does 'work' follow you around, stressing you TF out even when not there/off work?

This is something I really struggle with. I used to be really good at leaving work 'at work', but it's been getting harder and harder and my days off don't feel like days off as I'm stressing about work.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #66
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I think that this is an important key element. Can you leave your work 'behind' and enjoy your life when not at work...or does 'work' follow you around, stressing you TF out even when not there/off work?

This is something I really struggle with. I used to be really good at leaving work 'at work', but it's been getting harder and harder and my days off don't feel like days off as I'm stressing about work.
That's pretty much where I am. Cell phones mean I can never unplug from work and we're expected to be available 24/7/365. And there currently is not enough time in the day to get everything done.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #67
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

Are you leaving tasks you have on your plate as incomplete before calling it a day? I used to have trouble with this, but fixed it by having an accurate to-do list for the day and when I get everything on that list done, I no longer think about work once I'm done for the day because I know I've completed everything that day that NEEDS to be done. Before, there'd be a cloud hanging over me of some deliverable coming due on Thursday for example and I'd be thinking about it non-stop the entire week until EOD Thursday, but by organizing what I need to get done each day in order to deliver on Thursday, I no longer think about that final due date.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #68
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve seen an increasing number of meeting requests over lunch. I ignore them.

Also, people almost never take sick days anymore. It’s as if we just assume that besides covid, nobody gets sick. Or if we’re sick we can still work from home.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #69
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Or if we’re sick we can still work from home.
This is definitely part of it. Sick enough that in the "before times" you would just miss the day, but now you can work reduced hours when you feel up to it. I know that sick time YTD at my work is exceeding 2019, though.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #70
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I basically have to be available 24/7 unless I'm on leave.

That said, I have a great team and I don't often get after hours calls or problems to deal with. Actual office time, I probably average 50-55 hours a week with an hour or so of work related activity at home most evenings on top of that.

I spend a fair amount of time on the road as well.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #71
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

Also, people almost never take sick days anymore. It’s as if we just assume that besides covid, nobody gets sick. Or if we’re sick we can still work from home.
Don't get into this trap. If your not well enough to work in the office you're not well enough to work from home either. Pretend work from home doesn't exist. Otherwise you will burnout.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #72
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I work from home and have for most of my career. The balance part can get a little murky some days. Most days, I'm at my desk by 6 and I shut it down around 4 or 5. The thing is, over the course of the day, I may watch a tv show with my little girl or have lunch with my wife or take my boy to the driving range. Today we hit the gym for 90 minutes. Also, I'm required to travel a fair bit and that's where the company really gets me to put in extra time. I'd say that I lose overall in the work/life balance equation but it's all we've ever known as a family so nobody complains much.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #73
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually don't care about being on a call during the lunch hour. If I have lunch plans with someone, I won't attend otherwise I will just eat my lunch around my meetings. I don't care to have lunch at a set time every day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #74
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by flamesfever; 08-17-2022 at 06:02 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM   #75
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m 60 years old and I consider myself semi retired. My wife has a great job which she enjoys and can retire at any time( she’s younger than me)
I work part time 20-35 hrs a week at a job I really enjoy and pays me between $32.00- $70.00 per hour.
It being stress free (for me) is a major benefit.
Work life balance for me is very good and I can realistically work at my position if I wish past 70

I’ve been in the rat race and I found in my case financially did not balance to my mental and physical deterioration.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:35 AM   #76
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually don't care about being on a call during the lunch hour. If I have lunch plans with someone, I won't attend otherwise I will just eat my lunch around my meetings. I don't care to have lunch at a set time every day.
Agree completely. What is the lunch hour anyway?
Further, sick days are pretty much a thing of the past, in my experience. These are personal days, and I don't know a single person who does not use every one of them.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #77
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm always amazed at people who can actually make it to "lunch time" before eating their lunch. Everyday seems to be brunch time for me.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't bike in to work without breakfast. I just don't have the energy, and then I'm voracious when I arrive. And definitely not on the weekends when I'm doing stuff.

But everyone is different, so this idea "you don't need breakfast" or "skip dinner and have a big lunch" as something that applies to everyone is pretty silly. Trying to re-create Spanish meal times when we live our days differently makes no sense.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #79
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Agree completely. What is the lunch hour anyway?.
It’s to ensure you’re in the office for an extra hour every day, instead of bouncing after logging your time.

Take the break if you need it, but I don’t. I take about 15-20 to eat and then I’m back at it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #80
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s to ensure you’re in the office for an extra hour every day, instead of bouncing after logging your time.

Take the break if you need it, but I don’t. I take about 15-20 to eat and then I’m back at it.
That's why you're Pent-Up haha.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote