Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #2381
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Or, you know, the guy who is supposedly a "coalition builder" could try and reach out to disaffected voters he needs to win. Crazy idea, I know.
Will these people stop being short signed morons long enough to be part of one?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #2382
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Will these people stop being short signed morons long enough to be part of one?
It's probably a better bet than shifting further right to a position that's totally unpalatable to them in order to go after the "moderate Republicans" that don't exist.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #2383
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look I've said this enough, but a progressive who decides if they can't get 100% of what they want through Bernie (which, of course, they wouldn't get anyways) that it's better to choose any of the options (abstaining, voting Green, actually voting Trump out of spite) that could not only lead them to getting 0% of what they want, but more than likely -50% of what they want as a stacked conservative SC will set progressive policies back a while...what do you even say? It's mostly hilarious to me. For one election I think everyone needs to understand this is autocracy versus democracy and not try and complicate things. The damage of four more years of Trump might be irreparable. The damage of four years of Biden is maybe replacing RBG and Breyer and getting a couple decent progressive policies done.

Yeah it sucks that you gotta be aligned with the Billy Kristols and David Frums of the world for one election cycle, but the alternative is so much worse you just gotta swallow your pride.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #2384
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Democratic Presidential Nomination 2020

Quote:
Which progressive policies is Biden proposing to implement? Progressives aren't getting their way on matter what. The ones who actually give a #### about the institutions of government will show up an vote for Biden. The ones who don't pay attention or whose lives have not generally worsened under Trump likely won't.
You’re missing the point. If you’re driving and going 50 and want to go 80, it’s probably best not to press the brake.

Want single payer healthcare? Let’s revoke ACA, Medicare, and Medicare

Want better social policies? I know, I’ll vote for someone who doesn’t believe in (and actively sabotages) them.

Expanded abortion? I’ll vote for someone who wants to reverse Roe vs Wade.

That will show them! Next time my candidate will win!
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #2385
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, if you're a Biden supporter, why does it matter if you're so sure you can get the moderate Republicans on board?
I feel like people drove by this to give you the benefit of the doubt the first time, but are you actually suggesting that this is a reasonable argument? I don't even know what to say. The goal is to get as many votes as possible. Obviously Biden will position himself to try to secure people who aren't left wing, be they independents, swing voters, moderate republicans or people who generally don't pay much attention to politics until shortly before a presidential election. But the more people from the left side of the democratic base he can get to show up on election day, the better... obviously. Some of these states will be close, even in the best case scenario, so trying to get as many people as possible in as many plausible "might vote for the Democratic candidate" categories as possible is the right way to go. Broad appeal that's just deep enough to get you to go pull a lever, so to speak.

I like Bernie. I would have been fine with him getting the nomination had the primaries played out that way, as I think he could potentially have managed his own path to victory. He was the only other candidate that seemed plausible to me in a general election (aside from Yang, who never had a realistic chance at winning the nomination). However, as the process has gone on, it has become clear that his ceiling is a bit lower than hoped, and that Biden's path to the Presidency is somewhat safer.

In any case, Biden won the thing fair and square, unlike Clinton, so Bernie's supporters need to cut out the tantrums, do what they can to make the party platform as palatable to them as possible, and go and vote for the only guy who can end this nightmare of an administration.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #2386
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Help us Joe Biden, you're our only hope

Harris is my pick for VP FYI
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #2387
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So that's the narrative Bernie supporters are peddling? This is all about moderate Republicans?

I guess the truth is too painful to acknowledge - that in the Democratic Party itself, moderates outnumber progressives 2 to 1.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #2388
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Harris is my pick for VP FYI
This would be a terrible idea, both in terms of the campaign and the electoral math. Harris is an awful campaigner, as it turns out, and doesn't bring anything to the table regionally. Abrams has been floated, and makes good sense for a number of reasons, even though I don't think she's remotely qualified to be President (which is less of a concern than winning the election for once). If you wanted to go full centrist mainstream, you'd be better off going with Klobuchar over Harris, just for the midwest and soccer moms.

Anyway I don't think he necessarily needs to make this call immediately, it seems like it'd just get drowned out by COVID.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #2389
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So that's the narrative Bernie supporters are peddling? This is all about moderate Republicans?

I guess the truth is too painful to acknowledge - that in the Democratic Party itself, moderates outnumber progressives 2 to 1.
Is it a common narrative though? Or is it the perfect narrative to push right now by those who don’t want the democrats to win?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #2390
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In any case, Biden won the thing fair and square, unlike Clinton, so Bernie's supporters need to cut out the tantrums, do what they can to make the party platform as palatable to them as possible, and go and vote for the only guy who can end this nightmare of an administration.
Not to mention that the progressives will have a much MUCH greater amount of impact in a Biden led government than they would in a Trump led one. In other words, just like any other president or political party, they will implement things they did not campaign on. This is where the progressives have a potential to swing things left, like the Tea Party did to swing things right.

It only has a chance if Biden wins the Election.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #2391
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Trump's handling of the pandemic I don't think the Democrats will have an issue getting out progressives. By November the death toll and failure of the Republicans will motivate enough people to vote Biden.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #2392
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
With Trump's handling of the pandemic I don't think the Democrats will have an issue getting out progressives. By November the death toll and failure of the Republicans will motivate enough people to vote Biden.
Attacking Trump's handling of this crisis is not a winning strategy for the Dems IMO. Not as their primary platform at least.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #2393
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. By November, this may be all about the economic fallout of the pandemic, not the death toll. And Republicans are already crafting a narrative that it's globalist elites and the deep state who overreacted and tanked the economy. This narrative will find fertile soil in flyover country if the high fatality rates continue to be mainly in big coastal cities.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #2394
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Attacking Trump's handling of this crisis is not a winning strategy for the Dems IMO. Not as their primary platform at least.
Kind of depends how bad things get, doesn't it? If it truly becomes a horror show - as it might - then they should absolutely be focusing primarily on the immediate crisis.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #2395
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Bloomberg should spend his money buying spots on faux to try to make their audience wake tf up.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #2396
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Democrats just need to make sure people actually vote (easier said then done) lots of people thought Hillary had it in the bag and didn't bother voting.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #2397
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Also, Bloomberg should spend his money buying spots on faux to try to make their audience wake tf up.
Or just buy the entire channel and turn it into a 24/7 LGBT interest station.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #2398
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. By November, this may be all about the economic fallout of the pandemic, not the death toll. And Republicans are already crafting a narrative that it's globalist elites and the deep state who overreacted and tanked the economy. This narrative will find fertile soil in flyover country if the high fatality rates continue to be mainly in big coastal cities.
By November the economy will be humming and Trump will be praising himself for what a great job he did !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #2399
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
By November the economy will be humming and Trump will be praising himself for what a great job he did !
half of this statement is true
Old 04-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #2400
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

Don't be so sure. Trump is giving out money.

Like I mentioned above, what's happening now is that the government is going to reimburse uninsured COVID treatments. That's healthcare. This is test to see if it can work or will the greedy system break down. In the end it might be a Black Swan.

Biden has totally dismissed single payer. Even in this crisis.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote