Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2023, 12:49 AM   #10961
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
1 #8 seed has won the cup, zero #7 seeds and zero #6 seeds.
Yes Darryl caught lightning in a bottle, holding onto this dream that anything can happen if you just get in is ridiculous. Could we go on a run, make it maybe to the third round? Also unlikely but maybe, we’ve gone from thinking we were elite, to a contender, to if we just sneak in we’ll see. If this team wins a round it just prolongs the mediocrity
That #8 seed was coached by Darryl, and he was one call away from being the only #6 seed to win as well.

If anyone can squeak into the Playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, it's a Darryl Sutter coached team.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 02:22 AM   #10962
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
That #8 seed was coached by Darryl, and he was one call away from being the only #6 seed to win as well.

If anyone can squeak into the Playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, it's a Darryl Sutter coached team.
Lightning in a bucket maybe.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:26 AM   #10963
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
1 #8 seed has won the cup, zero #7 seeds and zero #6 seeds.
Yes Darryl caught lightning in a bottle, holding onto this dream that anything can happen if you just get in is ridiculous. Could we go on a run, make it maybe to the third round? Also unlikely but maybe, we’ve gone from thinking we were elite, to a contender, to if we just sneak in we’ll see. If this team wins a round it just prolongs the mediocrity
If you look at the standings in 2014 the Kings were the 6 seed.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:51 AM   #10964
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we’ll find out over the next 7 games what this team is really made of. If they get 8 to 10 points and 2 wins against Minnesota they have a chance.

Less than 8 points or 2 losses against the Wild and I’d say it’s next year country for the Flames.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #10965
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I think we’ll find out over the next 7 games what this team is really made of. If they get 8 to 10 points and 2 wins against Minnesota they have a chance.

Less than 8 points or 2 losses against the Wild and I’d say it’s next year country for the Flames.
Next 4 games before trade deadline for flames are Vegas , Avs, bruins and leafs. In that span Minny plays Columbus twice and Vancouver once . They also play islanders and bruins. Flames could easily be 8 points behind Minny before we next play them. Hope flames can squeak out some wins before trade deadline but it’s not looking good.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:56 AM   #10966
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I’m sorry, there are so many other things to take into consideration and we just focus on who the coach was. Plus it was 15 years ago, the league has changed, has Darryl? I hope we magically find a doughty and quick pretty soon
Old 02-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #10967
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again this #8 seed stuff is nonsense.

Darryl and Berbue got a lot of luck and unbelievable goaltending.

With the amount of posts we hit and goals that go through our goalies we don't have that.

Also those teams made coaching changes. That's why they ended up squeaking in. You don't play to be a 8 seed you want to finish as high as possible.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:28 AM   #10968
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Again this #8 seed stuff is nonsense.

Darryl and Berbue got a lot of luck and unbelievable goaltending.

With the amount of posts we hit and goals that go through our goalies we don't have that.

Also those teams made coaching changes. That's why they ended up squeaking in. You don't play to be a 8 seed you want to finish as high as possible.
The other key with those teams that I think the Flames share a similarity is they were really good teams on paper that were underachieving so the coaching change was what those teams needed to take a step forward.

When I watch the Flames I see a team that is a goal or save away from being one of the better teams in the league. 30th in shooting % (I know a lot of our shots are weak so it makes sense but look at how many posts the team has hit) and they have bottom 5 save%. If the Flames get in and one of our goalies gets hot and the team gets a few more bounces they can go on a run.

We are not watching a terrible team get outplayed but we are seeing a team that is struggling because their top offensive player and star goalie are having career worst seasons.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #10969
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The problem is that those teams had elite goaltending while this team has close to league worst. No team is winning a Stanley Cup with goaltending of the likes we have seen with the Flames this season. It's hard to have any confidence they can go on a necessary winning streak given they haven't all season nor have they received any sort of consistent goaltending.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:41 AM   #10970
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The problem is that those teams had elite goaltending while this team has close to league worst. No team is winning a Stanley Cup with goaltending of the likes we have seen with the Flames this season. It's hard to have any confidence they can go on a necessary winning streak given they haven't all season nor have they received any sort of consistent goaltending.

Yeah thats just it. These teams that snuck in and/or didn't have top end talent, then went deep typically did so on the backs of a super hot goaltending.

Goaltending is the flames most glaring issue and doesn't seem to be gaining any traction.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #10971
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The other key with those teams that I think the Flames share a similarity is they were really good teams on paper that were underachieving so the coaching change was what those teams needed to take a step forward.

When I watch the Flames I see a team that is a goal or save away from being one of the better teams in the league. 30th in shooting % (I know a lot of our shots are weak so it makes sense but look at how many posts the team has hit) and they have bottom 5 save%. If the Flames get in and one of our goalies gets hot and the team gets a few more bounces they can go on a run.

We are not watching a terrible team get outplayed but we are seeing a team that is struggling because their top offensive player and star goalie are having career worst seasons.
I think it’s more than shooting percentages and down to style and roster makeup.

It’s still a slow team that doesn’t have much for dynamic skill. They work extremely hard and earn every inch they get.

I think they lack the speed and tenacity to do much in the playoffs if they get in. So I wouldn’t equivalize this team with prior ones in the Darryl Sutter mold.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #10972
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Even the 6th place Flames that Sutter coached had Kipper and elite goaltending.

Basically if you are a bottom feeder team sneaking in you need a hot goalie to take you far you are not winning 7-6 games this isn't Colorado with with average goaltending.

We basically have the worst goaltending in the NHL. Think back to the Anaheim series that is what we are in for, a team that out shoots the opposition and controls the share of play and is swept.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #10973
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What's weird is that with above average to elite goaltending this year, the Flames aren't even close to a 6th to 8th place team. They're tops in the division and maybe close to the top in the conference.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:04 PM   #10974
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

4th period reporting that the Devils are offering Alexander Holtz and 2023 1st in a package for Meier. Sharks want Dawson Mercer included in the package

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-...JRbrUA.twitter
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #10975
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
4th period reporting that the Devils are offering Alexander Holtz and 2023 1st in a package for Meier. Sharks want Dawson Mercer included in the package

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-...JRbrUA.twitter
I would want Mercer also.

I think it gets done without Mercer, he is a key piece for them going forward long term.

If ever they get Meier, their cap situation is going to get interesting real quick.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:13 PM   #10976
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1628833121750638593

$3.5 Million for Driedger this year and next. I know he hasn't been great in Seattle but it seems like there should be a trade market for him.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/...entry%20draft.

Last edited by Tkachukwagon; 02-23-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:14 PM   #10977
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holtz and a 1st seems like an fantastic return.
I get that Holtz hasn't put up big points in 27 NHL games, but he's basically a ppg player in the NHL and he's only 21.
Asking for Mercer as well is just getting greedy.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #10978
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holtz would be an excellent guy to pair with William Eklund long-term for SJ.
He's a finisher.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #10979
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Driedger hasn't played this season, I think? He's on injured reserve. This just seems like a cap dump before moving him.

Seattle is very much in a playoff spot so I imagine they're trying to buy an asset and need to shed salary first.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:23 PM   #10980
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Even the 6th place Flames that Sutter coached had Kipper and elite goaltending.

Basically if you are a bottom feeder team sneaking in you need a hot goalie to take you far you are not winning 7-6 games this isn't Colorado with with average goaltending.

We basically have the worst goaltending in the NHL. Think back to the Anaheim series that is what we are in for, a team that out shoots the opposition and controls the share of play and is swept.
Yet we know that Markstrom is absolutely capable of providing that hot goaltending. It hasn't happened yet but that doesn't mean he can't go on an absolute heater at any time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: