Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #621
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
The people who troll her are disgusting. But her tweets aren't directed specifically at them, but at an entire race. #cancelwhitepeople... Really? I can't see why you would defend someone who hates you.

Quote:
Probably one of those evil white people
Not sure you’re the best source for how forgiving we should be about people who make disparaging comments about white people.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #622
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
And yet the NYT agrees, and stands by their hire. They know the outrage is fake. Did you read the article? Have you read any of her writing? She is a woman who writes about technology. She is a target of racist mysogynistic trolls. Do you know what gamergate is? I think I'll go read me some more leftist articles. Thanks dude.
The NYT themselves said that these comments are not acceptable, even if they aren't enough to cost her the job.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #623
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Not sure you’re the best source for how forgiving we should be about people who make disparaging comments about white people.
Ya I know, i'm racist for pointing out someone who is racist blah blah blah
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #624
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/1764470...acklash-racism

Here is a better explanation of the context of Sarah Joeng's "racist" tweets. Good on the New York times for not falling for the usual alt right BS manufactured outrage. She was reacting to gamergate style harassment, which she receives ceaselessly, and she apologized. She was screaming at trolls. She is actually a pretty good journalist. As an old white guy, I am not threatened by Sarah's words in the least, knowing the context.
confirmation bias.

Pretty weak excuse and we don't need our intelligence insulted. There is no shortage of abuse directed towards a wide variety of people on Twitter. Twitter is a dumping ground of stupidity

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 08-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #625
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I know, i'm racist for pointing out someone who is racist blah blah blah
Calling all white people evil isn’t acceptable
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #626
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The concept that you could only be offended by these tweets if you are a follower of the alt right is pretty asinine. It's a great way to deflect responsibility of those comments.

Even if you assume that these tweets were retaliations against alt right trolls, how does that justify these comments against an entire race?

There are hundreds of tweets from her over several years that target white people. I was willing to accept the possibility of this being satire before I saw how rampant this actually was on her account.

Defranco nails it as usual.

Ok. I'm not offended by an attack on my white race because I don't identify with my skin colour. She is attacking a caricature, which the "white race" most certainly is.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #627
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok. I'm not offended by an attack on my white race because I don't identify with my skin colour. She is attacking a caricature, which the "white race" most certainly is.
This seems like some extreme mental gymnastics to me.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #628
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
confirmation bias.

Pretty weak excuse and we don't need our intelligence insulted. There is no shortage of abuse directed towards a wide variety of people on Twitter. Twitter is a dumping ground of stupidity
Some people take the bait and lash out. It makes them human. I look forward to you being the continuing source of stories about people who say bad things about white people, while conveniently ignoring examples of real racism. How centrist of you.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #629
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some people take the bait and lash out. It makes them human. I look forward to you being the continuing source of stories about people who say bad things about white people, while conveniently ignoring examples of real racism. How centrist of you.
Then she lashed out often - hundreds of times over several years, and never actually directed these tweets towards any one person or group:

Thread:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1025441260117610496

This is absolutely insane. She is obsessed.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-04-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #630
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just posted an example of real racism, so to suggest I am ignoring real examples is not true!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #631
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then she lashed out often - hundreds of times over several years, and never actually directed these tweets towards any one person or group:

Thread:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1025441260117610496

This is absolutely insane. She is obsessed.
And they also pre date gamergate...
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #632
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This seems like some extreme mental gymnastics to me.
I've never experienced racial discrimination personally. For many POC it's a daily reality. I don't feel threatened by angry comments against generic white aholes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #633
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
I just posted an example of real racism, so to suggest I am ignoring real examples is not true!
And I don't consider white people a race. Therefore I don't take her comments as racism.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #634
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I don't consider white people a race. Therefore I don't take her comments as racism.
ok
Old 08-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #635
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well i mean there is no scientific basis for race - so it's fine to think that but where your logic breaks down is if you think black people are a race...or brown for that matter. It's all or nothing - i believe in nothing but that isn't a popular thought amongst most people. The amount of natural sun screen you have doesn't make you any different.

Quote:
There’s No Scientific Basis for Race—It's a Made-Up Label
It's been used to define and separate people for millennia. But the concept of race is not grounded in genetics.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...cience-africa/
Old 08-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #636
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wish everyone was like you... It would truly be a better world. I really mean that.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #637
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wish everyone was like you... It would truly be a better world. I really mean that.
You just don't get that it's easy to be like me. I'm part of a favoured class and I don't feel threatened. I can afford to sit back and observe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #638
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It feels like certain people are anxious to say racism isn’t an issue, move on, stop dwelling on it until there is some perceived anti white comment made and then hoo boy they can’t wait to really dig into the meat of it! So weird.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #639
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty telling that the most activity this thread has seen in months is because of some edgelord making bad twitter jokes about white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #640
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You just don't get that it's easy to be like me. I'm part of a favoured class and I don't feel threatened. I can afford to sit back and observe.
Huh. So every day when you walk out the door, you feel it's easy to be you because you're white. When you're driving to work, when you grab a coffee at Tim's, when you sit down at your cubicle, when you buy your groceries at Co-op, when you talk the people at Shaw on the phone - you feel it's all easier because you're part of the favoured class.

And you think every white person should feel the same? The out-of-work drywaller who's struggling to make rent. The alcoholic with maxed out credit cards. The woman going through a bitter divorce. The 50 year old trying to retrain after his knees are shot from laying carpet for 30 years. The senior struggling with depression. All should recognize that they wear a cloak of privilege, and have no right to question the prejudice and anger of anyone who isn't white?

What an astonishingly simplistic lens through which you regard the world.

You might want to give this interview a listen:

Beyond the Politics of Race

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-04-2018 at 02:50 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote