Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #1341
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
Peterson, Shapiro, and Harris all agree on one thing; and that is the absurdity necessity of identity politics.
Yeah I'm sure they secretly loathe identity politics so much, which is why they won't shut up about it.

Also lol lumping a dullard like Shapiro into even the same universe as Peterson and Harris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-07-2018 at 07:06 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #1342
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only ever hear Shapiro when he's appearing on non-right wing focused platforms, but when he does, he seems pretty intelligent. Smart people can be wrong about everything too.

Taking one example, his explanation about why he didn't vote for Trump in 2016, but might in 2020, is coherent - he sees Trump as governing in a conservative fashion on at least some issues (crucially, the appointment of SCC judges), whereas the Democratic candidate will do so on zero issues, and second, he thinks the damage to the social fabric that Trump represents has already been done. Leaving aside the fact that what Ben Shapiro considers to be a good SCC judge is what I would consider an absolute unmitigated disaster, which is a difference of political ideology, I think that's incredibly wrong - dangerously wrong - because Trump still has much more damage to do. Trump's erosion of democratic norms doesn't stop after six months - it continues literally every single day that this behaviour is normalized, and re-electing the man would be a significant signal to the effect of, "we've seen what's happened for the past four years, and America's okay with it all." I also think Trump continues to pose an existential risk to the species, as he's not going to get less erratic and more reined-in if his ego is once again mollified by re-election, and every crisis is an opportunity for him to do something truly catastrophic to the global order. Eventually, if America keeps letting him roll the dice, they're bound to come up snake eyes.

I suspect Shapiro doesn't agree with me and would characterize that as overly dramatic fearmongering or some such, but that's the basis of honest disagreement. I think he's in denial about the stakes of this presidency. Everything he says is coherent and rationally supported. He's not stupid. Quite the opposite. He's just wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #1343
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

But Shapiro thinks the erosion of democratic norms is being done from the left not from Trump.

He will say that in 15 years of speaking at colleges only in the last 2 or 3 years has he needed police protection and received death threats.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #1344
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Obligatory lol-worthy RationalWiki:

Ben Shapiro
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #1345
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprising it doesn't mention his "proud virgin" years, and then his month-long Twitter brag when he finally lost it 6 years after writing the series of articles about his virginity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #1346
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Surprising it doesn't mention his "proud virgin" years, and then his month-long Twitter brag when he finally lost it 6 years after writing the series of articles about his virginity.
Young Ben Shapiro was the most entertaining Ben Shapiro by far. “I’m a virgin (definitely by choice I swear)! English classes make you gay!”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #1347
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
But Shapiro thinks the erosion of democratic norms is being done from the left not from Trump.

He will say that in 15 years of speaking at colleges only in the last 2 or 3 years has he needed police protection and received death threats.
The erosion is coming from both sides. It's sad.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #1348
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Support for democracy is lower among the young. People are recklessly attacking the structures and norms that uphold liberal, pluralistic democracy because the alternatives - the alternatives those structures and norms are meant to protect us from - are fading from living memory.

To bring this back to Peterson, one of the reasons he can be wild-eyed and histrionic is he's well-versed in the horrors of the early 20th century, and genuinely believes we may march off enthusiastically down the same path again if we don't recognize the signs of a society turning away from liberal values.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #1349
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah I'm sure they secretly loathe identity politics so much, which is why they won't shut up about it.

Also lol lumping a dullard like Shapiro into even the same universe as Peterson and Harris.
Please elaborate.

I believe they are independent thinkers, not consciously trying to cater to the left or to the right.

And what’s wrong with Shapiro? He’s a great mind.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #1350
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The time Shapiro mocked black people for celebrating Black Panther was a nice little dog whistle to the racist people in his audience. He was totally butthurt that it became a cultural phenomenon especially in the black community.

Or the super racist Columbus day cartoons that appeared on his website that he tried to defend as satire until he was forced to apologize.

Or his smarmy condescending attitude towards trans people, whom he believes to be mentally ill. He won't use the preferred pronouns because it's "PC"-- but he's totally cool with trans people( yeah right, as if we cant tell he's being completely phony and patronizing when he says he accepts trans people).

Or it could be his smarmy condescending attitude towards pretty much everything. He's great at throwing out the odd racist dog whistle to his worst followers and then gaslighting when the backlash comes. He panders to the lowest common denominator of person which makes him a terrible human being. I dont care how "smart" he supposedly is.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #1351
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Support for democracy is lower among the young. People are recklessly attacking the structures and norms that uphold liberal, pluralistic democracy because the alternatives - the alternatives those structures and norms are meant to protect us from - are fading from living memory.

To bring this back to Peterson, one of the reasons he can be wild-eyed and histrionic is he's well-versed in the horrors of the early 20th century, and genuinely believes we may march off enthusiastically down the same path again if we don't recognize the signs of a society turning away from liberal values.
The older generation is also eroding Democratic structures. Specifically, social mobility. There strangle hold they have to on real estate and capital right now is unprecedented.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #1352
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do we know that its actually getting worse, or are we now just hyper aware of the news?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #1353
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The older generation is also eroding Democratic structures. Specifically, social mobility. There strangle hold they have to on real estate and capital right now is unprecedented.
And the inter-generational transfer of wealth through inheritance is also unprecedented. Most Canadians today get into the housing market with significant help from their parents. The Boomers are expected to inherit $750 billion in Canada, and they're expected to pass on a much larger inheritance to their Millennial children in turn.

Canada is becoming like Asian countries, where multi-generational families act as a single economic unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #1354
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Do we know that its actually getting worse, or are we now just hyper aware of the news?
Polling in every Western country shows young people are less likely than both older citizens today and young citizens in the past to think democracy is the best form of government.

Quote:
A poll shows less than half of young adults think democracy is the best form of government – but protest parties show many can still be won over

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...p-on-democracy
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #1355
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems topical for the discussion in here.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #1356
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
This seems topical for the discussion in here.

What a great conversation. I have to side strongly with Harris.

I’ll repeat the idea that this thread should just be called “The IDW” generically, or the like. It’s about more than Peterson. In fact, personally, I find him one of the least interesting of the bunch.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #1357
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

I’ll repeat the idea that this thread should just be called “The IDW” generically, or the like. It’s about more than Peterson. In fact, personally, I find him one of the least interesting of the bunch.
Agreed. I created the thread, but I don't see where to change the title. Do we need a mod to do that? If any mods are reading, please change title to "Intellectual dark web"
Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #1358
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think you can edit the first post and change the title.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1359
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Actor tweets that Ben Shapiro is a nice guy. immediately has to apologize and pull it back.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety....202878370/amp/

Insanity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #1360
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Actor tweets that Ben Shapiro is a nice guy. immediately has to apologize and pull it back.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety....202878370/amp/

Insanity.
C'mon... he was basically calling Hitler a nice guy!