Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think gets to meet Lucile first?
Glenn 66 47.14%
Rosita 0 0%
Daryl 10 7.14%
Michonne 2 1.43%
Abe 31 22.14%
Maggie 4 2.86%
Rick 2 1.43%
Sasha 2 1.43%
Aaron 7 5.00%
Carl 1 0.71%
Eugene 14 10.00%
Somebody else 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #381
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see next episode Morgan walk up to Negan, hold a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

Bam, next!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #382
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd like to see next episode Morgan walk up to Negan, hold a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

Bam, next!
See, people like you are what is wrong with this show.

I want Morgan to walk up next to Negan and engage in a thorough existential discussion centering around Negan's dominance issues and then making their way to discussing the value and sanctity of life culminating in Negan eventually unravelling the barbed-wire from Lucille and then realizing that the game of baseball has attributed to him some very unhealthy primal urges, so he then grinds the bat into a similar stick to Morgan's. Then there is an hour-long montage of Morgan teaching Negan to become one with the stick and then Negan being subsequently and promptly eaten by a walker.

Roll credits.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #383
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Yeah, I have no idea about comic storylines either. It just seems to me like things get stretched out a lot in the show. I expect a plot against Negan will start to get cooked up almost immediately, go through various stalls and restarts, then end in a cliffhanger at the end of S7, before it goes through the same motions next season. All while hinting at some other big bad, maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Negan may only be on screen for a handful of those episodes, maybe a lot fewer than The Governor, even though his presence is pervasive.
I seem to recall people complaining about how quickly Terminus was all wrapped up.

If we had this build up, it better not wrap up anytime soon.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #384
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Bam, next!
I'd like it to be the other way around.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #385
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I'd like it to be the other way around.
That would be good, too. I was just thinking it would be a nice redemption for Morgan, since he has turned to such a nancy. He hears what Negan has done, says F that, walks up, blamo. No more lame Morgan.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #386
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling Eugene is going to be making a lot of bullets for the eventual war with Negan.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #387
DurrDurr
Draft Pick

I'm secretly wishing Negan takes out Michonne.

I've had quite enough of her constant angry-face and the awkwardly gross brother-sister-sexual relationship with Rick. I've never seen two characters with less chemistry than them.
DurrDurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #388
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time Abe lit up a cigar, just made me think of Bull Randleman. Couldn't shake that visual image from him haha.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #389
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yeah, I don't really want to belabor the point and sully the thread, but I think there are certain sacrifices and responsibilities necessary for moderation. And wow, does that sound an awful lot like a community member telling mods how to do their job...sorry, just want to be honest.

Or just delegate to another moderator?

I'm pretty sensitive to spoilers as well, and I thought my reference was pretty mild and safe as far as true spoilers go. Either way, I've learned to 'Spoiler' tag all references to other shows just in case.
Honestly when stuff like this is reported my priority is to get it down as fast as possible. It sucks when something is spoiled for someone.
So the easiest way to do that, that included not spoiling it for myself, was to delete the entire post.
No offense was intended. But this was the quickest way to get that done.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #390
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Empty Violence of The Walking Dead

Pretty good read, expresses some of my concerns and discomfort with the show far better than I could.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #391
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will never forget the time a couple of years ago when my washing machine broke on a Sunday afternoon. I took my kids to the local laundromat. There were four TVs, and they were all playing The Walking Dead. The place was filled with individuals, couples and families, including young children. They washed and dried and folded while Rick and company blasted and fried and ripped apart walkers, spreading their guts on the ground, splattering the foliage and each other with their blood. RRRRrrrraaagghhh! Blam! HhhhnnUUHHHHHGGG! Blam! Blam! Splat! Gush! Blam! This went on for an hour, with periodic pauses for heart-to-heart talks. This is our background now, the fabric of American life. We’re the real zombies.
The internet doesn't have a big enough eye roll gif for this one. Sheesh. He makes some decent arguments through the piece, but ending with this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #392
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Honestly when stuff like this is reported my priority is to get it down as fast as possible. It sucks when something is spoiled for someone.
So the easiest way to do that, that included not spoiling it for myself, was to delete the entire post.
No offense was intended. But this was the quickest way to get that done.
Appreciate the explanation, and no offense taken. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

As for TWD, it looks like they are going to explore the Kingdom next episode, so we get to expand the world a little more before getting back to Rick's group. In case you didn't watch the Talking Dead, a noticeable pop went up in the crowd when they showed the preview for next week. This was a crowd partially made up of graphic novel readers, so if they are excited about what's to come then that is encouraging.

And yeah, I want to see the damn tiger.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #393
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice if the group could run into a strong group that is not evil. So maybe tiger guy is that. Would be a nice change. Have they ever had good strong help before?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #394
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Looking at that picture I kind of wish they handled the Shane character a bit better and didn't have him go crazy so quickly. I thought he was a pretty good character who was on par with Rick for the first season at least.
Yeah the stress between Rick and Shane was just about my favorite part of the show. Bernthal is a good actor and played that part very well. Kind of wish Shane's fate had been more vague.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #395
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That was a bit distressing to watch.

I'm fairly desensitized to most things in these sorts of shows and movies and zombie gore doesn't bother me at all, but when it comes to brutal violence between people like that where someone is consciously doing that to another person and how Negan was actually laughing over it I found to be disturbing on a few levels.
That is entirely the point. In order for this to have the weight it needed to have, it needed to overcome completely your desensitization to brutal violence, especially in the context of this show. Showing Glenn with his head caved in saying his last words to his wife before having his skull turned into paste, with his scalp hanging off of Lucille while Negan makes a joke about it being a vampire bat?

Gah.

I was disturbed by it too, and that was the intent. Incredibly well executed piece of television. Negan has had just over an episode's worth of screen time and the audience probably has stronger feelings about him than almost any character the series has ever trotted out. He's already up there with the most horrifying villains of any series ever. Seriously, anyone who says that's "empty violence" is missing the boat by a mile. It moved the show and characters not so much forward but sideways ninety degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
What does Glenn utter in his last moment there? "Maggie, I'll find you"? Quite sad! Glenn's always managed to be a doer, and to be there for Maggie and the group through thick and thin. Even in his last moment of physical shock he thinks he's going to get out of the situation and somehow track Maggie down.
Quote:
I think he means he'll find her in the next world, afterlife. He knows he's a gonner in this world.
I think he just had his brains rearranged by a barbed wire baseball bat and could barely form words; whatever he said had no reason behind it at all. Which just makes the scene much more disturbing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-24-2016 at 10:25 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #396
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the intense ire online toward Daryl because his actions caused Glenn's death. People seem to be forgetting that this is a zombie apocalypse. Anyone can die and some favourite characters have. If even the fan favourites can't be killed off then what's the point? It's fiction anyway.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #397
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
The Empty Violence of The Walking Dead

Pretty good read, expresses some of my concerns and discomfort with the show far better than I could.
This was a terrible condescending read. I literally could picture the author in starbucks typing on his macbook.

TWD obviously isn't a cinematic masterpiece. It has had many borderline (and maybe not even borderline) terrible episodes.

However, this episode was created to shock the audience. And it did. The violence for once actually felt real. It conveys the point that in the long run the zombies aren't actually the issue, but the struggle for survival and resources.

And anyone who thinks the 'shock violence' isn't effective or that Negan is a fool for just leaving them apparently hasn't read up on much of human history and how dictators come to power and hold it.

Firstly, Negan won't show his face again to the group
Secondly, if someone attacks Negan or his crew, they will slaughter everyone you hold dear.

This was one of the few episodes of any TV where I literally was shocked and surprised with the outcome and how far they pushed the boundary.

Last edited by Jason14h; 10-24-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #398
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Good episode.

Maybe I was really tired when I watched it, but when Rick climbed on the RV, I was sure the hatchet was on top of the RV, yet, later we see him running off looking for it.

What am I missing?
Negan throws it up on the roof. That's why Rick climbs up there. He takes it, and drops it in the ensuing mayhem of him jumping down onto the hanging walker.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #399
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah the stress between Rick and Shane was just about my favorite part of the show. Bernthal is a good actor and played that part very well. Kind of wish Shane's fate had been more vague.
I think Bernthal being so good is why he got as much screen time as he did, in the comics he goes crazy pretty much right off the bat and is dealt with very quickly. But now he gets to play the best version of Punisher ever put on screen, so there's always a silver lining
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #400
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That is entirely the point. In order for this to have the weight it needed to have, it needed to overcome completely your desensitization to brutal violence, especially in the context of this show. Showing Glenn with his head caved in saying his last words to his wife before having his skull turned into paste, with his scalp hanging off of Lucille while Negan makes a joke about it being a vampire bat?

Gah.

I was disturbed by it too, and that was the intent. Incredibly well executed piece of television. Negan has had just over an episode's worth of screen time and the audience probably has stronger feelings about him than almost any character the series has ever trotted out. He's already up there with the most horrifying villains of any series ever. Seriously, anyone who says that's "empty violence" is missing the boat by a mile. It moved the show and characters not so much forward but sideways ninety degrees.

I think he just had his brains rearranged by a barbed wire baseball bat and could barely form words; whatever he said had no reason behind it at all. Which just makes the scene much more disturbing.
Bang on, and I was going to say the same. Yes the episode was ridiculously violent, but that's the threshold they had to cross in a show already filled with endless violence, to convince the viewer that Negan is more sinister than your average bad guy and is to be feared more than your average roaming hoard of zombies. Fans already had an expectation going in to this episode that there was going to be bloodshed, so the writers likely realized that in a world of viewers already largely desensitized to violence, that the point needed to be hammered home with brute force.

That being said, full credit to the actor in this case as well. The violence was bad, but his portrayal of the jolly sadist made it all the more vile and it's a role I could see being easily fouled up by crappy acting.