Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #441
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I actually hesitate to venture into this thread because of the negativity. I enjoy the show a lot. Is it as good as GOT season 1? No but, how many shows were that good? Band of Brothers?
A lot of complaints in here about how the villains are too well rounded and not straight evil enough.

I thought the pacing and storytelling in the first season was great. They did a great job of showing how a stable kingdom breaks down into madness, without any single person being responsible.

As Hack&Lube stated, the show is based on a book, which is multiple retellings, from various perspectives, of a historical conflict. One that from an outsiders perspective involved a single family needlessly fighting over power, only to end up back at square one, and destroying most of Westeros in the process.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #442
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've been listening to the F&B audio book since last night . the somewhat underwhelming finale will be water under the bridge when season 2 hits . wow things are going to get crazy .. I can't wait
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #443
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

GoT started off as a niche medieval fantasy book adaptation and slid further into mainstream with each season and ratings increase. HoTD is basically starting from there, as a mainstream show designed to capture as wide a demographic as possible. so long as you don't have expectations of it being a super intricate, cerebral drama experience then it's fine. I still look forward to watching it every Sunday evening, gripes or not.

that being said, Crave started showing GoT S1 right after the HoTD finale, and boy what a difference there is visually and tonally. everything from early GoT looks far more realistic, as if they're standing in real places rather than a CGI painting. and the dialogue is quick and small and easy to miss details with. HoTD is more like LoTR now where every scene is a HDR fantasy haze and each line spoken is more grandiose than the last.

I'm still trying to determine if I prefer lots of dead babies to lots of exposed boobs. bigger sample size needed I guess.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #444
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
That was the first episode of the season I really liked. Rhaenyra 2.0 has grown on me a lot, and I'm starting to figure out who's who both in the present and future Game of Thrones.

I shouted a great big 'F-U' at that cliffhanger, though.
We watched the House of Dragons with a picture of a Targaryen family tree open. Kind of spoiled a couple of things, but we found it really helpful.

Really liked season 1 of HoD. I'll be watching it again I'm sure. Not because I liked it that much, but by the time season 2 comes out, I'll have forgotten everything
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #445
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I kind of wish this finale happened around episode 7-8. Then launch season 2 in the war between the two sides.

I didn't mind this season but there was A LOT of build-up and showing character motivations that could have been condensed.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #446
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the bigger dragon is Sheepstealer, the Cannibal, or Vermithor (Jaehaerys' (the King prior to Viserys) former dragon).

I can't wait for Season 2.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #447
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don’t think Daemon’s scene where he’s courting that large dragon has anything to do with the dragon attack scene. It appears that Daemon may have recruited a large fire breathing dragon that will likely wreak some havoc in the next season.
Is that not the missing dragon Balerion?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #448
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I kind of wish this finale happened around episode 7-8. Then launch season 2 in the war between the two sides.

I didn't mind this season but there was A LOT of build-up and showing character motivations that could have been condensed.
I don't blame them for taking it slow.

The biggest complaints of the last two seasons of GoT was that "It went too quickly" and that people wanted the slower pace of earlier seasons.

If they had to over index on it being a bit slower then that's fine by me.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #449
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't blame them for taking it slow.

The biggest complaints of the last two seasons of GoT was that "It went too quickly" and that people wanted the slower pace of earlier seasons.

If they had to over index on it being a bit slower then that's fine by me.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I guess when the entire internet is pissed off at you, there'd be a bit of trepidation with rushing things.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #450
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You guys complain a lot...this is the best show on TV currently IMO
I've actually been watching a lot of stuff on a week to week time frame for the first time in a long time.

And in terms of actively running TV seasons, the edge has to go to Andor right now. They are doing a really good job of defining the character, the story and the place and making sure the audience is coming a long with them. HotD you almost need to watch a youtube explainer video after every episode then rewatch the episode just to have any clue what happened between the entries.

That said it's a good time to be a fantasy fiction fan LotR, SW, MCU, GoT all putting out quality shows at the same time, no need to complain about season 7 or episode 9, everything is watchable and enjoyable.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #451
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Is that not the missing dragon Balerion?
Balerion has been dead for a while. His skull is on display in the Red Keep already. I've checked and most sources show that the dragon that Daemon is singing to is in fact Vermithor, which is the 4th largest dragon alive behind The Cannibal, Vhagar, and Sheepstealer.

Whether or not Daemon will be able to find a rider to bond with Vermithor is another question.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #452
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Balerion has been dead for a while. His skull is on display in the Red Keep already. I've checked and most sources show that the dragon that Daemon is singing to is in fact Vermithor, which is the 4th largest dragon alive behind The Cannibal, Vhagar, and Sheepstealer.

Whether or not Daemon will be able to find a rider to bond with Vermithor is another question.

Yes, apparently you can’t switch dragons once you’ve bonded, so not sure who Daemon is doing it for. This one could come in handy since his own dragon is half the size (but still huge)
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #453
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't one of Daemon's daughters still without a dragon? The one we saw with the egg sitting by the fire in the earlier episode who was consoled by her mother.

When he was listing off all the dragons they had on their side, he mentions that some are still riderless and it cuts to a shot of her.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #454
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

In GOT I remember someone mentioning that the Dragons died out because the Tagaryens kept them locked underground so they couldn't fly anymore, eventually withering away and not reproducing. I'm guessing the upcoming war is going to be the last hurrah of dragon warfare, where most of them die and the rest are locked away to prevent further carnage
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #455
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big fan of the writers turning the anxiety inducing tension up to 11 but definitely compelling television and I’m looking forward to season 2.

My biggest issue compared to GoT is the cinematography. GoT featured amazing set pieces shot on location in Dubrovnik, Iceland, and Northern Ireland, while every HotD scene feels like it is filmed on a cramped set or in a front of a green screen.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #456
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Not a big fan of the writers turning the anxiety inducing tension up to 11 but definitely compelling television and I’m looking forward to season 2.

My biggest issue compared to GoT is the cinematography. GoT featured amazing set pieces shot on location in Dubrovnik, Iceland, and Northern Ireland, while every HotD scene feels like it is filmed on a cramped set or in a front of a green screen.
They used the same virtual soundstage as the Mandalorian. It's great technology but real locations are superior.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #457
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

given the pace of the first season (really took their time with major developments) , they have so much content yet to cover .. this show could go 8-10 seasons with ease
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:30 AM   #458
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
given the pace of the first season (really took their time with major developments) , they have so much content yet to cover .. this show could go 8-10 seasons with ease
I believe GRRM said he thinks 4 for the dance
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #459
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I think the bigger dragon is Sheepstealer, the Cannibal, or Vermithor (Jaehaerys' (the King prior to Viserys) former dragon).

I can't wait for Season 2.
Subtitles confirmed Vermithor. So he would be the 2nd biggest living dragon behind Vhagar. The actual size of Cannibal is wholly unknown and given to much conjecture.

Also, Daemon already has a dragon, Caraxes. We even saw him this episode. What Daemon is doing is trying to test whether Vermithor would be ready to accept some new rider, as he was proposing during the council meeting directly before. No one has claimed them yet, but Daemon wants people to start trying. Rhaenyra disagrees for now.

This is an intensely important plot point to the remainder of the series.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #460
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will the dragons accept people not of Valryian blood? Is it possible for someone like Otto Hightower or Larys to ride a dragon?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote