Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dougie Hamilton - Was there more to this trade than meets the eye?

Trades involving 45-50 point defenceman entering their prime at 25, leading the league in goals by defenceman don't just happen in the NHL. There had to be some underlying issues... so let's examine what we have seen so far in regards to Dougie. I do want to preface this is speculation and involves some rumors; however, I have tried to include links/sources where I could

2015 Dougie Hamilton gets traded to Calgary.

An article released on June 29 by a Boston writer was titled "Report: Dougie Hamilton is an ‘uppity kid,’ teammates don’t like him"

Quote:
“We didn’t want to lose him,” a Bruins front office source reportedly told Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald. “We tried everything we could think of.”

However, an anonymous NHL assistant general manager told Harris that Hamilton had some character issues.

“It was surprising,” the front office executive said. “It’s obvious there’s something going on that we don’t know about. From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous.”
This was the first time I had heard about Hamilton's character issues. Let's look at his time with the Flames starting when the Flames acquired his brother Freddie Hamilton also in 2015.

=

Quote:
We dreamed about it when we were little kids, both trying to make the NHL and both trying to be on the same team,” said Freddie.
This could be a little eyebrow raising now that you look back on it. Freddie obviously was not a player most NHL teams covet. It's my thoughts and yes these are my thoughts that the Flames traded for Freddie to sweeten the pot on Dougie signing in Calgary and keeping him happy.

Well how did this work out? Quite often Freddie was in the press box when he shouldn't have even been in the building. He would get the odd start here and there but who was the player that was sitting when this happened? We always used to hear the phrase "always earned, never given," if you are the guy sitting I'm sure that would leave a sour taste in your mouth. What if Freddie was the reason the Flames lost a game? Now you have your teammates pissed off at a guy who doesn't deserve to be there, while they have worked there asses off to be in this league and it's because of his brother that he has a spot on the roster.

April 2017 - The infamous mic left on story
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/fla...130840287.html

Quote:
For the video deprived, here’s a brief transcript:

“Brodie’s is … that’s just a complete lack of … you got no composure when you’re doing that. He’s down already.”

“If you don’t rip Dougie Hamilton, I will. Stupidest [expletive] penalty you can take.”

“How about the T.J. Brodie one, too? But you’re right, that Dougie Hamilton one.”

“Does he had a [expletive] brain?”

“He doesn’t. He’s stupid as [expletive].”

“I don’t know him that well.”

“He’s not an intelligent guy.”

“You’re Mr. Flames, so you probably know him better than I do.”
Jan 2018 - Flames lose Freddie Hamilton to Arizona after placing him on Waivers.
http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...die-on-waivers

Quote:
Asked twice more about the departure of his older brother, roommate, car-pool partner and teammate for parts of three seasons at the Saddledome, the 24-year-old rearguard wouldn’t bite.

“I’m just here to talk about the game.”
Quote:
“Obviously, it’s going to have an impact (on Dougie), but they’re both good pros,” said Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan prior to Thursday’s clash with the Los Angeles Kings. “I talked to Dougie. He skated in an optional this morning. He’s getting ready for L.A.

“I’m sure it’s not easy. It’s your brother. But I know Dougie was happy for him, too, to get an opportunity.”

Dougie could have simply said that.

But he was, apparently, just there to talk about the game.
Francis - Dougie Hamilton trade makes clear problems persisted in Calgary https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...isted-calgary/

Reddit Rumor
Quote:
Nine-Foot-Banana
I heard from someone in the know that Dougie was still so pissed off about Freddie getting put on waivers at the end of the season that he ****** off before exit interviews with management and coaching.
Reddit Rumor
Quote:
dirac_spike
He totally did. My wife and I left for Phoenix just as the regular season ended. We saw him and his brother eating out at a restaurant a couple days later, thought it was super weird to see him so quickly down there.
"We also want guys that want to be in Calgary" BT June 23/18 - This could obvuously be in relation to Adam Fox, but I feel its related to Dougie as well. My opinion once more.

Looking beyond the numbers so to say I think it's clear there is enough evidence that Hamilton was just not a fit in that locker room. If you lose your teammates respect that in turn brings the whole team down. Dougie was a great offensive player but I'm excited for Noah Hanifin and a fresh start for both players.

Last edited by bluck; 06-24-2018 at 02:57 PM.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's an academic guy that may not be into hanging out at bars and chasing girls like other young guys. If it's true that he was going to museums when the other players were getting together at restaurants/pubs I don't know if that's something that I would hold against him as a bad character. Just different and I thought we were supposed to be accepting of people like that in this day and age. The brother thing was weird but you can argue the team cultivated that by brining in Freddie in the first place. If you are going to go out of your way to cater to a guy you are kind of creating a sense of entitlement. They should have never brought him in in the first place IMO.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-24-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im not going to trash a guy on his way out to try and make everyone feel better about moving him. But what I will say is we heard similiar things when he left Boston and so think in this case where there's smoke there's fire.

Regardless I hope he does well in Carolina
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a) your teammates can stand to play with you and b) you haven't committed any major crimes, I really couldn't care less what you're like off the ice, if the on-ice product is good.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If that's the sole reason then the flames are idiots and I think that example being out there paints us in an extremely negative light. If, however, dougie wasn't doing any of the team building like events, then I can see how u that might've been an issue. Gio and GMBT don't seem the types that couldn't have fixed that if it was the only problem.

Testament to dougie that his game stayed at the same level.

Flames nation apparently publishing a story this morning and it'll be interesting to see if there's any more to it than what we've heard. EDIT: nothing additional in the article, only the museum thing.

Francis used the term apathy, which is a pretty strong term but something that could be misread quite easily. Francis also said that Monahan didn't want to win.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 06-24-2018 at 08:27 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just seems like a bit of a weird dude, that’s all. I really don’t think he’s a bad guy or has character flaws, he’s just different and might have a tough time fitting in. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part, there’s obviously more to the story than just trading him. You don’t trade 25 year old 6’5” defenseman with significant offensive abilities. He’s been traded twice now.

Having said all that, I really liked Dougie and I was so pumped when we got him. I’m still pretty disappointed he’s gone to be honest. For me he was as close to untouchable as you can get without actually being untouchable (Gaudreau and Tkachuk are the only two for me). I put him in the same tier as Monahan and Gio.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's an academic guy that may not be into hanging out at bars and chasing girls like other young guys. If it's true that he was going to museums when the other players were getting together at restaurants/pubs I don't know if that's something that I would hold against him as a bad character. Just different and I thought we were supposed to be accepting of people like that in this day and age.
It's obviously more than that. Bobby Holik was famously high-brow, always readings books when the team travelled and spending much of his leisure time at art galleries museums. He also wore a letter for a couple teams. The NHL isn't such a den of troglodytes that a team is going to run a player out of town just because he's bookish.

Flames management made several comments over the last year or two that they had problems with players who seemed okay with losing, who couldn't ratchet up the intensity. Pretty clear that one of those players was Hamilton.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know a couple people who work for the Flames organization who have told me a few things that would lead me to believe there were issues. Not neccesarily character issues but issues that could have definitely played a part in his trade. I do believe there is enough smoke to assume there was something off. I dont see that as trying to justify the trade or trash Dougie, it just is what it is and hopefully both the player and team are better off going their separate ways.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think anything pre and post trade should be dismissed as marketing. Why were Hannifan and Lindholm offered contracts the day before they were traded and it publicized? To make them look selfish before they were traded. Same with Bostons round of Dougie and Seguin rumours.

It's disappointing if the he didn't fit in because he was a nerd thing is true. That's a failure of the leadership group to integrate him not a failure of Hamilton.

The Brother thing is the one thing that bugs me. It would be nice to have real info on what promises were made as if the Flames promised Freddie a roster spot and then went back on it that's on the Flames and not Dougie. If Dougie just got upset in the absense of any promise that's on Dougie.

All of the above doesn't really matter though. We traded a top analytics defensemen who the eyetest on defense didn't line up with. Where you stand on the eyetest vs analytics is much more important than the rumour mill slander.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly Dougie is a bit of an oddball, and it really does seem like he wasn't happy about his brother being waived and lost on waivers. Not saying he's a bad guy, and he is a great hockey player, but the brother thing is no good. Freddie isn't good enough and you have to put the team ahead of your own personal needs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Although I don't know for sure, I would imagine that Gio was consulted on the matter before the trade was made. He's earned that level of respect and probably has some say over who his Blueline partner is going to be.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's obviously more than that. Bobby Holik was famously high-brow, always readings books when the team travelled and spending much of his leisure time at art galleries museums. He also wore a letter for a couple teams. The NHL isn't such a den of troglodytes that a team is going to run a player out of town just because he's bookish.

Flames management made several comments over the last year or two that they had problems with players who seemed okay with losing, who couldn't ratchet up the intensity. Pretty clear that one of those players was Hamilton.
Much to my chagrin, I very much agree with you on the first point: dougie isn't the first and won't be the last intellectual on a sports team. However, we don't know how much of that is a failure of the leadership group and how much is the fault of dougie.

As I said earlier up, it's very easy to mistake apathy for being a quiet dressing room personality. I'd be hesitant to put the 'okay with losing' tag on someone who was one of the best in their position.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Francis’ article this morning says flat out that Dougie wasn’t bothered by losses. Francis also says he was still upset about Freddie being waived. He just didn’t fit in with the other guys in the dressing room. We’ve been hearing these whispers for a long time now.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #14
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest tell to me is the “he doesn’t have a brain”

People around or involved with the team “probably” aren’t throwing this statement around for no reason.

And watching him play, and his penalties, the statement doesn’t surprise me one bit. I couldn’t stand watching him play.

For the record I also couldn’t stand Jay Bow. Same player to me, except Hamilton could actually score on he Flames (But Jay Bow could score on Florida is his younger years)

I truelly believe we have seen the best of Hamilton and he will be Phaneuf 2.0
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dougie is also a semi truck.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #16
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The biggest tell to me is the “he doesn’t have a brain”

People around or involved with the team “probably” aren’t throwing this statement around for no reason.

And watching him play, and his penalties, the statement doesn’t surprise me one bit. I couldn’t stand watching him play.

For the record I also couldn’t stand Jay Bow. Same player to me, except Hamilton could actually score on he Flames (But Jay Bow could score on Florida is his younger years)

I truelly believe we have seen the best of Hamilton and he will be Phaneuf 2.0
When Dougie suffers a series of leg injuries that cause his explosiveness to evaporate, then he'll be Phaneuf.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #17
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Francis’ article this morning says flat out that Dougie wasn’t bothered by losses. Francis also says he was still upset about Freddie being waived. He just didn’t fit in with the other guys in the dressing room. We’ve been hearing these whispers for a long time now.
To be fair, Francis also said that Monahan and Gaudreau don't care about losing. He just makes #### up.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last season it was Rob Kerr and Lou (if I recall correctly) who both stated they saw something in the dressing room that was very disconcerting.
Later there was talk of certain players who were more concerned with personal stats than winning.

I’m not saying this was Hamilton however there seems to be concern with the Flames management that there were players who desire to win was not up to standards.
With the trade of Dougie and Trees interview of such, one can’t help but think there is a cause and effect situation.

I wish Dougie all the best in Carolina and if any of the rumours are true I hope he has learned and matured.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
To be fair, Francis also said that Monahan and Gaudreau don't care about losing. He just makes #### up.
Maybe
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe apathetic is the right description here. You can’t be an elite athlete without being committed and dedicated to your craft, but not everyone puts the success of the team ahead of themselves.

I’m not going to miss the player that much. Obviously has tons of skill but never seemed to be the difference maker in a game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote