Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2024, 09:00 AM   #5361
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who live near major roads can expect to be exposed to normal traffic noise. What they shouldn’t have to tolerate is #######s in modded cars and bikes ripping around making noise far in excess of those allowable under our bylaws.

If a succession of Harleys drove past your house in a suburban cul-de-sac every Sat and Sunday for hours on end revving their engines well beyond bylaw limits, would you shrug it off as part of normal city life?

Again, I’ve lived in very close proximity to Crowchild. And to Macleod Trail. Never complained. The RR is an entirely different beast because it’s basically used as a racetrack by #######s in modded vehicles that are way louder and driving way faster than our laws allow. The problem isn’t the road, but the lack of law enforcement.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:11 AM   #5362
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Regarding tire noise. I've driven the new portion twice now (Hwy 8 to the TCH), northbound both times. Each time in a different vehicle and both times have noticed a hum from my tires on the stretch between Bow Trail (perhaps 17th Ave) and Old Banff Coach Road. To the point I thought I may have drifted out of the land an into a grooved section like they sometimes put on shoulders of roads. It was very noticeable and only on this short stretch of road. Twice is not a large sample size so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it?
We've noticed it both times we've driven it.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:16 AM   #5363
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
So you're saying that people should just tolerate those breaking multiple traffic laws at the same time on a regular basis? And your other point is that following traffic laws is having to "suffer inconvenience"?
Well obviously I think people should follow (or be somewhat close to the law). Like street racing shouldn’t be allowed. But pressing for the speed limit to be dropped there to try to quell noise isn’t the same discussion, and I’ve seen news pieces where people have asked for just that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:34 AM   #5364
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But pressing for the speed limit to be dropped there to try to quell noise isn’t the same discussion
Agreed, but I don't think we were having that discussion haha.

People going 150km/h on a pack of bikes with loud exhaust all summer isn't the same as an F-150 cruising by going 80 in a 70.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:36 AM   #5365
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If a succession of Harleys drove past your house in a suburban cul-de-sac every Sat and Sunday for hours on end revving their engines well beyond bylaw limits, would you shrug it off as part of normal city life?
I had someone up the street (40 km/h residential street) for a while with an insanely loud Harley. He'd go ride a couple times a day, and it was so so bloody loud it would routinely ruin the naps of our 1 year old at the time.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:54 AM   #5366
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to say, you don't have to go far to complain about dbags on straight-piped Harley-Davidsons, chances are he's your neighbour down the street.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #5367
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who ride motorcycles have daddy issues.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #5368
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
People who ride motorcycles have daddy issues.
Children of motorcycle riders are soon to have even bigger daddy issues
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:58 AM   #5369
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So apparently the city of Calgary has a bylaw against engine ######er brakes? Does that apply on the ring road? I hear trucks using them going downhill from Old Banff.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #5370
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, that bylaw applies to the ring road. The only jurisdictional grey area is the section of the ring road that passes through the Tsuut'ina reserve, as that's not within the city limits.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:51 PM   #5371
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People who live near major roads can expect to be exposed to normal traffic noise. What they shouldn’t have to tolerate is #######s in modded cars and bikes ripping around making noise far in excess of those allowable under our bylaws.

Again, I’ve lived in very close proximity to Crowchild. And to Macleod Trail. Never complained. The RR is an entirely different beast because it’s basically used as a racetrack by #######s in modded vehicles that are way louder and driving way faster than our laws allow. The problem isn’t the road, but the lack of law enforcement.
The HA clubhouse in Altadore was one block away from my house, so I kinda did...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #5372
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So you're saying that people should just tolerate those breaking multiple traffic laws at the same time on a regular basis? And your other point is that following traffic laws is having to "suffer inconvenience"?
Yes, people living under an overpass should suffer, especially residents of Bridgeland, especially.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 02:42 PM   #5373
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Yes, that bylaw applies to the ring road. The only jurisdictional grey area is the section of the ring road that passes through the Tsuut'ina reserve, as that's not within the city limits.
Which section passes through the reserve? Isn't that what the $400 million or whatever land swap was to take care of so it wasn't on reserve land?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:58 PM   #5374
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which section passes through the reserve? Isn't that what the $400 million or whatever land swap was to take care of so it wasn't on reserve land?
It isn't reserve land anymore, hence why I wrote "passes through the reserve". But nor is it land that has been transferred to the City of Calgary. City limits still end at 37th Street. Hence why it's a grey area: it's in a weird limbo, a legal no-man's-land, where it is neither part of the City nor Tsuut'ina lands.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:09 PM   #5375
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not on reserve land, but it's not within City Limits either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:11 PM   #5376
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blue is City of Calgary, green is Tsuut'ina Nation, pink is neither.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 03:11 PM   #5377
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel bad for people living along Memorial in Bridgeland. The speed limit is 50, but it's built like a freeway and bikes/cars go racing up and down all summer. Those condos have no AC, and the side facing the road is south facing. So windows open and suffer the noise, or windows closed and sweat yourself to death.

Yes, I'm sure they'd all love to have enough money to not live there, but maybe it's also reasonable people don't drive wide open throttle going 150 in the city on a regular basis.
This was my life for a couple years
Old 01-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #5378
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't reserve land anymore, hence why I wrote "passes through the reserve". But nor is it land that has been transferred to the City of Calgary. City limits still end at 37th Street. Hence why it's a grey area: it's in a weird limbo, a legal no-man's-land, where it is neither part of the City nor Tsuut'ina lands.
I shall do no further research and assume this makes it the same as International Waters. Good luck dealing with me, officer.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 03:14 PM   #5379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, "passes "through" makes it sound like it, well, passes through!

Ya, this map shows the city border, and it's certainly not bordering the road consistently.

Spoiler!

And this shows the discontinuous nature of the reserve land:
Spoiler!

https://calgaryringroad.com/category/tsuu-tina/

EDIT: and I'm slow...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:16 PM   #5380
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Blue is City of Calgary, green is Tsuut'ina Nation, pink is neither.
Presumably that’s why there’s zero traffic enforcement on that stretch of road. So people complaining that the 100km/hr limit is too low: have at ‘er.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote