Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #2581
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is impossible to make trades...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #2582
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The Flames are next to LA, New Jersey, Detroit, Anaheim and Ottawa in the standings.

Those 5 teams have on average 25 million in cap space.
Calgary has 1.7 million.

However, Buffalo is last and has even less cap space. So I guess it could be worse.
Yep.

Worst GM in the league this season. No contest. Buffalo even signed Hall to a 1-year deal, so at least they have that piece to sell for assets. Remarkably poor season for this organization from top to bottom.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #2583
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Part of the reason there's been no trades has to be a lack of direction and vision too. Hard to make trades when you don't have a long term plan
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #2584
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It’s hard to blame Treliving for building this team that’s sinking like an anchor and has no cap space but also somehow looks to not have any assets anyone else is interested in acquiring. It could happen to anyone really, just bad luck and things outside of the control of the GM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #2585
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Part of the reason there's been no trades has to be a lack of direction and vision too. Hard to make trades when you don't have a long term plan

Yeah kind of like when you play darts "501" you can be a good shot get the odd 180, but if you can't count down properly your at a disadvantage. Treliving does a lot of good things, but not sure he knows what kind of team he is building. Hoping him and Darryl can work together and close that gap and build a contender. Interesting to see what kind of moves we make in the off season, hopefully we can formulate a plan that gets things moving forward.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:36 PM   #2586
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
It’s hard to blame Treliving for building this team that’s sinking like an anchor and has no cap space but also somehow looks to not have any assets anyone else is interested in acquiring. It could happen to anyone really, just bad luck and things outside of the control of the GM.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #2587
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I despise Brad Treliving's Calgary Flames. I hate watching this low talent, slow, group mental midgets. No amount of adversity is small enough for them to wilt. After 7 seasons he's managed to assemble the biggest group of losers to ever don the Flaming C. There have been worse Flames teams on paper but hats off to Brad for assembling a team of losers that are an embarrassment. I hope the owners are willing to bite the bullet and fire this guy as I don't know if I can handle another year of Brad Treliving Flames hockey.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #2588
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's pretty hard to build a consistent winner in this league. I think Brad has done pretty good to be honest. All GMs have some bad deals.

Johnny and Money just weren't the CORE to win with. Had to try.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #2589
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I despise Brad Treliving's Calgary Flames. I hate watching this low talent, slow, group mental midgets. No amount of adversity is small enough for them to wilt. After 7 seasons he's managed to assemble the biggest group of losers to ever don the Flaming C. There have been worse Flames teams on paper but hats off to Brad for assembling a team of losers that are an embarrassment. I hope the owners are willing to bite the bullet and fire this guy as I don't know if I can handle another year of Brad Treliving Flames hockey.
Agreed.

But you know Treliving - for the third straight off-season, he will talk about not being emotional and stepping back to assess the team. Then, he won't make any changes to the core and get his ass handed to him again next season.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #2590
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
It's pretty hard to build a consistent winner in this league. I think Brad has done pretty good to be honest. All GMs have some bad deals.

Johnny and Money just weren't the CORE to win with. Had to try.
Lol

Good based on what, exactly?

Have you watched the Flames?

Their current status is : a ####ing mess
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:23 PM   #2591
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well in fairness when was he supposed to trade Gaudreau and Monahan? After they each had career years and the team finished 2nd in the entire NHL? This off season Covid, the flat cap, the uncertainty, short off season, etc. likely made it extremely difficult. I wanted it to happen this off season but I also realize it was likely near impossible. If any good deals were on the table they would have likely been made.

At this point if they don't go full rebuild I'm going to really have a difficult time caring. Re-tool is going to lead to more of the same. Nothing worse than being stuck in the middle. Fire Brad, hire a new GM, do a real rebuild properly.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #2592
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

After holding off on voting for almost two months, I've finally decided that Treliving needs to be fired.

The Tkachuk contract is inexcusable. It completely destroys the value of what should have been the most valuable asset in the organization.
And he's still the highest paid player on the team.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 PM   #2593
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Almost 20% think "He should not and will not be fired" this baffles me.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:34 PM   #2594
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Almost 20% think "He should not and will not be fired" this baffles me.

In all fairness, there should probably be a new poll on this after this season finishes.

I am sure most people voted early on, and I would guess that there really are a lot of people that have flip-flopped since then, or didn't believe that the Flames would really be on the outside looking in.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #2595
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
In all fairness, there should probably be a new poll on this after this season finishes.

I am sure most people voted early on, and I would guess that there really are a lot of people that have flip-flopped since then, or didn't believe that the Flames would really be on the outside looking in.
The writing has been on the wall for a while that this team wouldn’t be getting in
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #2596
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The writing has been on the wall for a while that this team wouldn’t be getting in

I think we are in sports fan psychology area now. That’s a resigned loser view, in terms of the enjoyment of the current season

The fate of the team has been in its own hands, with 5 out of 7 against the team it can quite reasonably catch, Montreal

Some people just don’t live with that loser mindset, much less the out loud admitted loser mindset

As unlikely as the team is to get in, there are plausible pathways, and some people prefer to approach it with a positive mindset

And the team has the ability. Plus the coach who has done it, and we all know the time is ticking

Even if the payoff is unlikely, I truly don’t relate to the position that success just can’t be expected to happen

Why do people with this mindset even waste their last remaining days watching an inevitable zeppelin crash? For the increased probability of a good draft pick?

Ugh. Punishing. I understand statistics and probabilities and genuinely feel pity here

Then on the flip side, the probabilities are at that level the problem and the buck stops somewhere
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 02:07 AM   #2597
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames miss the playoffs, which is all but guaranteed, I am convinced that Treliving will be out as GM. I think hiring Darryl Sutter was his last chance.

As long as they don't just give it to Maloney. You would have to think that Dean Lombardi would be considered. Mark Hunter could be a dark horse.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:40 AM   #2598
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If the Flames miss the playoffs, which is all but guaranteed, I am convinced that Treliving will be out as GM. I think hiring Darryl Sutter was his last chance.

As long as they don't just give it to Maloney. You would have to think that Dean Lombardi would be considered. Mark Hunter could be a dark horse.
Maloney would be fine-he was GM of the Year in 2010, and by all accounts, he is well regarded and respected by his peers. Don't look at what happened in Phoenix-Jesus Christ himself could not have run that team with all the challenges they've had. Dean Lombardi would be fantastic, but he's American and has a pretty cushy job with Philly. Would he leave there to come to Canada?

In regards to Tre, I've already said it-I wanna see what he does this summer to fix the team, and if he doesn't do it, let the wolves take him.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 04:04 AM   #2599
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Maloney would be good" haha good one....oh wait your serious. Purge all Coyotes mgmt please for the love of God.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #2600
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Maloney wants to be a GM anymore anyway. He's just there to be 'the grey hair in the room' as Burke put it

Lombardi please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Dean Lombardi would be fantastic, but he's American and has a pretty cushy job with Philly. Would he leave there to come to Canada?
I think he would. He was really only there to work with his old pal Hextall again, who is gone. And the 'no out' clause in his contract is done at the end of this year

Last edited by btimbit; 04-20-2021 at 04:23 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: