Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #2561
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Found this neat stat on Poile:

“On March 1, 2018, David Poile became the most successful general manager in NHL history, as the Nashville Predators defeated the Edmonton Oilers 4-2, giving him his 1,320th win as a general manager, surpassing Glen Sather who had won 1,319 games.“
One Final appearance in close to 40 years kind of minimizes that accomplishment
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #2562
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Why would anyone consider Poile an elite gm, epsecially now? Never won a Cup, has lost all his recent big trades (big win in the Forsberg trade being the exception), and his recent big money signings like Duchene and Turris have been busts.
His most recent "big" trade was trading Subban away for Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, 2019 2nd round pick #45, 2019 3rd round pick #65, 2020 2nd round pick #37. Subban has tremendous negative trade value now.
That was a huge win.

I agree that the contracts he gave to the centers are bad. But that's just one part of a gigantic 30+ year track record.

And like others have said, his ability to draft and develop defensemen is so good that it practically made them a consistent playoff team.

Hockey is very popular in Nashville. It's not a traditional market at all.
All credit goes to Poile for this. He should be in the HOF whether he wins cups or not.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #2563
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
One Final appearance in close to 40 years kind of minimizes that accomplishment
So the winningest GM in the history of the NHL is not elite?

Would you place Jay Feaster ahead of Poile?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #2564
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So the winningest GM in the history of the NHL is not elite?

Would you place Jay Feaster ahead of Poile?
Let's say a franchise had the winningest regular season record over the last 40 years, but one final appearance during that time, would you consider that franchise elite?And even that wouldn't be an entirely accurate comparison, because there could be a host of other factors for a longevity of a gm ( age when he first became a gm, ownership, etc)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #2565
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Let's say a franchise had the winningest regular season record over the last 40 years, but one final appearance during that time, would you consider that franchise elite?And even that wouldn't be an entirely accurate comparison, because there could be a host of other factors for a longevity of a gm ( age when he first became a gm, ownership, etc)
Ya, I guess I would likely consider an executive who had compiled the winningest record over 40 years elite. Being a GM is hard, and to do that relative to your peers is frankly indicative of elite management. Cups are meaningful, but Ws are also very meaningful.

I am honestly just wondering how you evaluate what a good GM is. Your "hot take" indicated that it's expected for even the best GMs to have bad seasons, but here you are saying that winning cups and going deep into the playoffs is critical to being a good GM, but also David Poile has won a ton of games as a GM but isn't elite under your criteria.

Just to unpack:

- Being bad from time to time is ok.
- It's hard to count on a GM to bring consistent results
- But also, winning consistently, like Poile, and doing this over a long time doesn't mean you're that good
- But winning cups is the most important part of your criteria, along with going deep in the playoffs.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #2566
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Police has been a decent GM, but his win record is a lot about longevity.

That said, it’s too bad Calgary lost him to Washington way back when. I’m so old I remember when he was a bright young GM in the early 80s.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #2567
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

That said, it’s too bad Calgary lost him to Washington way back when. I’m so old I remember when he was a bright young GM in the early 80s.
TIL he was GM of WAS from '82-97. Having missed the playoffs for the first 8 years of their existence, once Poile arrived they made the playoffs 14 straight years before missing in 96-97. But then made the finals in '97-98.

Of course most of those years it was pretty hard to miss the playoffs, but still pretty darn impressive
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #2568
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
TIL he was GM of WAS from '82-97. Having missed the playoffs for the first 8 years of their existence, once Poile arrived they made the playoffs 14 straight years before missing in 96-97. But then made the finals in '97-98.

Of course most of those years it was pretty hard to miss the playoffs, but still pretty darn impressive
He’s been good. I actually don’t know if any GM is elite - it’s so hard to judge, with luck, location, budgets before the cap, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #2569
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's funny how you imagine ages on the internet; I always figured you were one of the younger active posters on the site.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #2570
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
It's funny how you imagine ages on the internet; I always figured you were one of the younger active posters on the site.
I’m in my prime.

For chess players.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #2571
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s been good. I actually don’t know if any GM is elite - it’s so hard to judge, with luck, location, budgets before the cap, etc.
Lamoriello is the first one that comes to mind:

Trading down to get Brodeur (helps offset the 'luck' factor there)

Traded for Stevens, Richer, C Lemieux, Holik, Broten, Albelin (key members of 95 cup)

Drafted Niedermayer 3OA, Guerin 5OA, Rolston 11OA.

Maclean and Daneyko were picked before he started there, but would have emerged under his watch.

The Devils got to pick 2, 3, 3, 2 from '84-'87, but didn't pick top 10 again from 1992-2011 (A Larsson). He seems to have drafted and dealt to build a lot of great teams without lucking into super-duper generational talents (though Brodeur, Stevens (via Shanahan), and Niedermayer aren't far off).

Then helped to correct Burke's mess in TOR, and got NYI back on track, too.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:25 PM   #2572
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I guess I would likely consider an executive who had compiled the winningest record over 40 years elite. Being a GM is hard, and to do that relative to your peers is frankly indicative of elite management. Cups are meaningful, but Ws are also very meaningful.

I am honestly just wondering how you evaluate what a good GM is. Your "hot take" indicated that it's expected for even the best GMs to have bad seasons, but here you are saying that winning cups and going deep into the playoffs is critical to being a good GM, but also David Poile has won a ton of games as a GM but isn't elite under your criteria.

Just to unpack:

- Being bad from time to time is ok.
- It's hard to count on a GM to bring consistent results
- But also, winning consistently, like Poile, and doing this over a long time doesn't mean you're that good
- But winning cups is the most important part of your criteria, along with going deep in the playoffs.
To me, an elite GM would be someone who didn't land very high draft picks and had at least some consistent success, including playoffs. I haven't really seen anyone do that recently, the closest may have been Armstrong in STL but that is more looking like a case of their goalie got very hot for a short while. Some may be better than others at surrounding elite talent with a good supporting cast, but it seems to me that timing on when you get to be GM is the most important thing.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #2573
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lamoriello is the first one that comes to mind:

Trading down to get Brodeur (helps offset the 'luck' factor there)

Traded for Stevens, Richer, C Lemieux, Holik, Broten, Albelin (key members of 95 cup)

Drafted Niedermayer 3OA, Guerin 5OA, Rolston 11OA.

Maclean and Daneyko were picked before he started there, but would have emerged under his watch.

The Devils got to pick 2, 3, 3, 2 from '84-'87, but didn't pick top 10 again from 1992-2011 (A Larsson). He seems to have drafted and dealt to build a lot of great teams without lucking into super-duper generational talents (though Brodeur, Stevens (via Shanahan), and Niedermayer aren't far off).

Then helped to correct Burke's mess in TOR, and got NYI back on track, too.
Lou would be who I would pick, gun to my head. I’m not sure what his budgets generally were.

He didn’t trade for Stevens though. He was awarded him by the NHL as compensation for the Blues offersheeting Shanahan. He was the guy Lou wanted though. The Blues offered Cujo or Brindamour.

And then the Blues offersheeted Stevens the next year and he signed, but NJ matched and later successfully accused the Blues of tampering. The Blues had to give NJ 2 first rounders and $1.5M and the Devils still kept Stevens.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #2574
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brad Treliving needs to go

Quote:
Lou would be who I would pick, gun to my head. I’m not sure what his budgets generally were.

He didn’t trade for Stevens though. He was awarded him by the NHL as compensation for the Blues offersheeting Shanahan. He was the guy Lou wanted though. The Blues offered Cujo or Brindamour.

And then the Blues offersheeted Stevens the next year and he signed, but NJ matched and later successfully accused the Blues of tampering. The Blues had to give NJ 2 first rounders and $1.5M and the Devils still kept Stevens.

I knew it was an offer sheet deal, but was just simplifying.

I didn’t know about the next year and the tampering, gonna give it a read. What a crazy time when those big names were getting passed around in related deals (add Pronger, Muller, etc - not offer sheets but part of related trade trees)

crazy to imagine how offersheet awards would play out today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #2575
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone has noticed the trend of this team and it's not hard to see it and no one has mentioned it. This team was never and has never been built to play in the playoffs or go past the first round. From the first playoff series that went 7-games in the first round and then getting trounced by the Ducks during the rebuild should've been the first clue. If it wasn't enough of a clue, they got trounced again by the Ducks the second time, then by the Avs the 3rd time, then by the Star last year!

Now, comes the COVID shortened season format where the same teams play against each other in consecutive back-to-back playoff style format. Flames are losing, not badly, but they can't adapt to playing the same teams whereas other teams like Ottawa has adapted to beat the Flames. Other teams like the Leafs know they can just jam the front of the net with big bodies on the smaller Flames D. This team was built to win games on a regular season where they play different teams in which they don't have to adapt to playing against each other consecutively like in the playoffs. Smaller teams can survive in the regular season but playoffs are meant for teams that stock up on big, gritty players. So, Tre hasn't adapted the team for anything but a regular season matchups. This is why this team sucks so bad this year and they sucked so much in past playoffs. Tre has not learned much over the years and it's too bad that his only goal was to pursue a top end goalie to mask the holes he's got all over D and forward lines.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #2576
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You don't believe him? They were still chasing the playoffs for the next 3 years. It seems like more evidence of the owners chasing their tail...

Seriously? 3rd and 4th liners are out all the time against opposition's top players...especially their d-men. There may not be much difference between the bottom few players in the NHL and the top few on the AHL but the other 14 guys on each team are night/day.

This narrative is so silly. Winning negates all of those issues. There are only a few teams in the league who don't have to overpay for UFAs. Our presence on NTCs probably has as much to do with being a pretender as anything else.

I sometimes wonder if ARI and FLA fan(s) lament that they only get timid players who don't want any pressure?

For 7 years? Bennett started centering a line in the bottom 6 since 2016 when Gulutzan arrived. Bottom 6 generally speaking will play a lot against other bottom 6 lines. Backlund’s line slotted at #2 and was always the shutdown line. Monahan’s line was the top scoring line so they faced the opposition’s top shutdown line. So that left a lot of bottom 6 match ups for Bennett and he never took advantage of it.

Too many excuses have been thrown around for #93. He either can do it, or he can’t do it. In the playoffs, the switch turns on and he has shown time and time again he can, but the rest of those 82 games in Oct-Apr, he has shown he can’t. This has been the trend, not just a one off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #2577
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
GioforPM is older than me, and I’m old as ****!!!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #2578
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving must still have hope that we can turn things around. He hasn't made any moves yet. Or is he even watching us play?
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #2579
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Treliving must still have hope that we can turn things around. He hasn't made any moves yet. Or is he even watching us play?
It is just way too difficult to move the players that need to be moved right now. The only deals Treliving will be making before the offseason are for his pending UFAs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #2580
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are next to LA, New Jersey, Detroit, Anaheim and Ottawa in the standings.

Those 5 teams have on average 25 million in cap space.
Calgary has 1.7 million.

However, Buffalo is last and has even less cap space. So I guess it could be worse.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post: