Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #881
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Ferland had 1 as well in that time frame.
Yeah but Ferly doesn't make 5 million does he?
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #882
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and he is, just look at his game log. He lit it up in early November and then again around New Year, but that's about it.

https://www.nhl.com/player/micheal-f...eason=20172018
But Lindholm with more ice time wasn't?

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #883
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really want to know more about these off-ice issues Hamilton had. Did he party too hard? Was he too full of himself and better than everyone else? Was he just socially aloof? Was he too introverted? Who has the scoop?? Did he hit on the other players' moms and sisters? Did he have a problem with the lgbtq player(s) on the flames?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #884
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Where is all this Hamilton has off ice issues crap coming from?

This sounds like the Boston media in 2015.
Listen to the BT interview and see what you think he is saying...without saying it outright.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #885
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha wow.

That Treliving interview with Steinberg pretty much says it all.

IMO

Hamilton either wanted out or the Flames wanted him gone, or both.
Fox was not going to sign with us. He pretty much said this.

Good riddance.

Plus with Ferland only having a year left until he goes UFA and gets overpaid, this deal is fine because we get two very good young players that we can lock up long term at a fair price.

I wish Fox could have been used as a chip in another trade, but it is what it is I guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #886
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Where is all this Hamilton has off ice issues crap coming from?

This sounds like the Boston media in 2015.
Yeah I don't like this stuff nor do I think it's fair to people. We can only speculate as to what it is. Dougie was a good guy the entire time he was here, there is no real evidence to say otherwise. The brother thing was complicated, not sure if that's where the relationship soured.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #887
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Our top 6 got a lot better, Ferland's ceiling is where he is now, Lindholm has a lot of untapped talent.

Our Blueline should allow Brodie to slide back to his natural side

This will probably not be a

Gio-Brodie
Hanifan-Hamonic
Stone - Andersson

Group.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #888
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't read this thread. I'm going to be in the minority, but I love this deal.

Hamilton just didn't have that extra gear. I never saw it. I never felt that he gave any extra effort on any given night. While he has elite talents, he doesn't have that drive necessary to become an elite player and a driver of the team. This is all based on personal observations of his demeanor and play on the ice, so obviously it's a pretty weak opinion based on evidence, but I still believe this to be true. I think the culture shift began and ended with a guy like Hamilton. Points are great, and I know we're starved for offense, but I really think this team's problems are about chemistry and mental fortitude rather than just skill.

I like Ferland, but he's terribly inconsistent. When he's on, he's freakin' scary. When he's off, he's barely noticeable. He's off way more than he's on. While he might turn into something better than a 15 goal 30 point power forward, I think that last year's season is probably his career year. Selling high on Ferland is a smart, smart move by Treliving.

Fox has great tools, and he can dominate the college level, but I've watched him (in limited viewings) and his skating turns me off. I don't think he can skate nearly well enough to be an effective NHLer. Just my opinion, but his acceleration is terrible, his top speed is just meh, and he doesn't have the balance or edging you need to be a great offensive defenseman in the NHL. His vision and passing are off the charts. His hockey IQ is great. It might get him to the league, but I don't know for how long. I think he's the 4th best defensive prospect we have after Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington. I'm not going to sweat losing our 4th best defense prospect.

Lindholm is a high IQ center/winger who already puts up 40 points a year and is still very young. I don't know what he'll become, but if he stays there that's still good enough for me. If he improves some and becomes a 50-60 point guy. That's a major shot in the arm to the offense.

Hanifin is the lynchpin to the whole thing. IF he turns out as projected, this is a major homerun. If he doesn't become much more than he is right now, that's still ok because of the defense depth we have.

We basically got two young stars in the making for a star defenseman with questionable work ethic/motivation, an inconsistent 3rd line power forward, and our 4th best defense prospect. I'm ok with this deal. I think it's pretty even.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #889
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awful trade

f u brad treliving
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #890
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
But Lindholm with more ice time wasn't?
I didn't say that, I just said that Ferland is inconsistent and streaky. That's just a fact if you look up the numbers.

Lindholm is inconsistent too, but he's 3 years younger than Ferland with more upside and flexibility (C/W). He's a top 6 forward, Ferland isn't.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #891
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Here's the bottom line though

Hamilton - Core player
Ferland - Accessory player
Fox - Maybe an unwilling prospect

Lindhom - Core
Hanifan - Core.

I don't think this trade is as bad or needs as much dramatic, back of the hands forehead histrionics as are being presented.

That's how I see it too. I think it'll be a good trade for both teams.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #892
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is becoming one of those trades that looks and feels better as we receive more information on stuff we didn't know for certain before.

Fox and Hamilton both seem good as gone for us anyhow, so being able to net two players of this calibre seems like a pretty big get.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #893
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Literally everything in this post is speculation/rumour.

Typically when fans/media go to these lengths to justify trades, it's to justify losing a trade - just like the Boston media did in 2015.
Except the media and fans have been making these observations for a couple years. So they're not after-the-fact justifications for a trade. And the Flames trading for his brother and Hamilton not making himself available to the media are facts on the ground, not speculation.

So do you flat out not believe any insider media comments about players? Or only the ones about players you like?

Look at the comments from Treliving himself. If you can't see Flames brass had issues with Hamilton's attitude, I don't know what to say.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #894
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

At least Fox didn't lead the Flames on indicating that he was gong to sign and then "change" his mind at the 11th hour before the Flames rights expire like Tom Erixon.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #895
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
// clearly Hamilton had to go and was likely a root of the problems the team had
That's objectively untrue since our problem was offense and Hamilton is 40+ point defenseman. If the rest of the team wasn't going to play an effective offensive game because he's in the dressing room then they are the problem, not him. Far more likely that Gulutzan was the problem.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #896
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another crappy loss in a trade by a chronically mismanaged team.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #897
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
This is such a great trade from an asset management perspective. Ferland and Fox would
be gone next year and Dougie in three. Hanifin and Lindholm will be under control for 5+ years.

Then add on that we got rid of an apparent head case, finally got a top 2ish RW, and that Hanifin has a decent chance to be just as valuable as Hamilton (different skill set though).

I’m loving it.
Just a thought on Dougie’s contract — one of the major justifications for overpaying for Hamonic was his team friendly contract over the next three years. I think Dougie’s on an equally good contract and now it’s “he’ll be gone in three years anyways”?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #898
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hated this trade when I first heard it. Reading through the thread I now get that there would be a problem signing Fox, and I get that Dougie had some off ice and/or intensity issues. I also acknowledge that Hanifin is still very young, and is years away from the age where most defensemen hit their peak (though Dougie isn't there as well). So I've come down a bit. But. . . .

At the end of the day Calgary has had a huge hole in their RW, with no prospects projecting to have a high probability of filling that role. Treliving has admitted that's a worry of his. Yet he's now gone through 2 off seasons and shipped out a 1st, two 2nds, Dougie Hamilton, Ferland, and Fox, and still hasn't conclusively dealt with that issue; the team is still in a position of simply hoping a player can step up to a level he's never met before. Tre hoped (expected) Bennett to step up last year, he hoped Ferland could prove to be a full time top 6 player, and is now hoping Lindholm can at least double his average goal production from the last 4 years (this from a guy whose draft profile said "One area of improvement for Lindholm with the puck would be his ability to finish off plays. He gets very good chances around the net, but just does not seem to be able to score on them as often as he should, and he should also try to look to shoot more often".

Bottom line, that's way too many high quality assets out the door to not feel confident that the team has solved its RW scoring issues.

Edit: I should say that I'm elated that this means that Brodie goes back to the right side. Yes, it's Treliving solving a problem he created, but I'll give props to a guy who can admit he made a mistake.

Last edited by Mike F; 06-23-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #899
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
At least Fox didn't lead the Flames on indicating that he was gong to sign and then "change" his mind at the 11th hour before the Flames rights expire like Tom Erixon.
indeed. Stayed quiet, indicated intent and gave plenty of time to deal with the situation.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #900
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames website has Lindholm wearing 28 and Hanifin wearing 5. Obviously needs to be updated.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote