Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 07:57 AM   #101
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Greg Whyshynski of ESPN was on 960 this morning, he too brought up word around the league was Hanifin has played his last game as a Flame.

If (big if) they sign Lindholm, then I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the Flames try and get Nylander or someone along those lines. to fill out their top line. Even though they really should be moving Hanifin for picks.

Lose Hanifin and Lindholm? Not much choice then.
Lindholm and Nylander both will cost big money on long term deals. Nylander seems destined to sign the Tkachuk, Stone, Kucherov $9.5Mx8 and Lindy will be pretty close to that as well. I can’t see it with Huberdeau and Kadri on the roster. I do start to wonder if there is a plan to try and get out from that Kadri deal but I don’t see it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:01 AM   #102
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Treliving has a fetish on Kadri. Maybe he wants him back
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:04 AM   #103
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Lindholm and Nylander both will cost big money on long term deals. Nylander seems destined to sign the Tkachuk, Stone, Kucherov $9.5Mx8 and Lindy will be pretty close to that as well. I can’t see it with Huberdeau and Kadri on the roster. I do start to wonder if there is a plan to try and get out from that Kadri deal but I don’t see it
I guess my big fear is that they turn around and take Hanifin's money and just throw it back at another player nearing 30. But true, it would be awfully tough to pay Lindholm and Nylander close to Huberdeau money.

I really just want them to retool and start by grabbing as many picks as they can for this draft
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:13 AM   #104
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why Calgary does it: Johnston has been a revelation since being drafted. He had a monster season after he was picked and jumped into the NHL at 19 and put up 24 goals as a rookie. He was a pick in the 20’s in Coronato’s draft. Is this Dallas selling high on a rookie who exceeded expectations or would they be trading a future star player?.
For a capped team like the Stars, a productive top-six forward with upside who only counts for 890k against the cap for the next two seasons is precious as diamonds. Even if they move Benn in the deal, they’ll find it extremely difficult to regain that cap efficiency. And it’s hard to see where they replace his productivity (Benn + Johnston = 119 pts vs Lindholm’s 64).
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:20 AM   #105
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Buffalo makes sense - they have to feel like making the POs is a must at this point. Now, I don’t think Mittlestadt is equal value for Hanifin, and he’s a pending RFA with arb - basically he’s at the same place in his contract lifespan as Tkachuk (and he’s American albeit from Minnesota so Canada isn’t as much of a change). I’d want some extras, like their 39th OA pick they got from Philly.
I meant Mittlestadt would be the main piece coming back. So yes, BUF would have to add, and the 39th OA sounds about right. Or even a prospect like Kulich, who has looked great this year.

Hanifin is from the area, and BUF has a lot of cap space (especially if they moved Mittlestadt), so I don’t think there would be any problems extending him. He would be a big get for them.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #106
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sabres are also rumoured to be in on Brett Pesce from Carolina -- him and Hanifin are exactly the type of players they need to punch a ticket to the playoffs. Though I don't think we'd be willing to part with the assets to acquire both.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #107
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
For a capped team like the Stars, a productive top-six forward with upside who only counts for 890k against the cap for the next two seasons is precious as diamonds. Even if they move Benn in the deal, they’ll find it extremely difficult to regain that cap efficiency. And it’s hard to see where they replace his productivity (Benn + Johnston = 119 pts vs Lindholm’s 64).
It is 119pts vs 102 which is Lindholm+Coleman.

I think Johnston is a reach but just spitballing off the Sec214 post. Hinting at boat anchors and being familiar with boats. That has to be the Benn-Huska connection. Also stating Johnston is the player the Flames are targeting. Lindholm got 64pts playing with Toffoli and Dube but could get back to 82 if he is playing with Robertson.

I don’t think it is super realistic but I am speculating based off the post from Sec which we all really appreciate

Last edited by Vinny01; 06-16-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Post not tweet
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #108
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Sabres are also rumoured to be in on Brett Pesce from Carolina -- him and Hanifin are exactly the type of players they need to punch a ticket to the playoffs. Though I don't think we'd be willing to part with the assets to acquire both.
CAR would have the inside track there. Pesce at RD is a better fit for BUF than Hanifin at LD. Dahlin and Powers are both lefties.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #109
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CAR would have the inside track there. Pesce at RD is a better fit for BUF than Hanifin at LD. Dahlin and Powers are both lefties.
Having our two first overall picks be D-men (and both looking really good) is an interesting position for a team to be in -- basically necessitates building from defense out. Considering the offense is already there, with some smart moves this summer I think they can be a pretty formidable team next season.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:41 AM   #110
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Worried about

Quote:
I meant Mittlestadt would be the main piece coming back. So yes, BUF would have to add, and the 39th OA sounds about right. Or even a prospect like Kulich, who has looked great this year.

Hanifin is from the area, and BUF has a lot of cap space (especially if they moved Mittlestadt), so I don’t think there would be any problems extending him. He would be a big get for them.
I’m not worried about Boston extending Hanifin. I’m more concerned about Mittelstadt extending here. You could extend by a year by doing his QO and going through arb. But that seems inadequate.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #111
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1669707552198672385
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #112
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not worried about Boston extending Hanifin. I’m more concerned about Mittelstadt extending here. You could extend by a year by doing his QO and going through arb. But that seems inadequate.
If the trade were done in conjunction with Lindholm being moved, Mittlestadt would have a shot at #2 C ice time and prime PP time - something he wasn’t getting in BUF. The only thing NHLers like more than money is ice time (which usually translates into more money).
Old 06-16-2023, 08:47 AM   #113
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is 119pts vs 102 which is Lindholm+Coleman.

I think Johnston is a reach but just spitballing off the Sec214 tweet. Hinting at boat anchors and being familiar with boats. That has to be the Benn-Huska connection. Also stating Johnston is the player the Flames are targeting. Lindholm got 64pts playing with Toffoli and Dube but could get back to 82 if he is playing with Robertson.

I don’t think it is super realistic but I am speculating based off the post from Sec which we all really appreciate
Johnston is likely one of the last players they would trade.

And zero chance Benn waives to come to Calgary.

But strangers things have happened.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 09:36 AM   #114
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I could see Treliving looking to make a splash like this with the leafs. He loves his older, gritty players and the widely held view is that the leafs are too soft. If Nylander extension talks break down, I could see something like Nylander for Benn + Johnston. He gets a gritty winger and a young player that has the potential to be equivalent to Nylander in a couple years. Stars get the best player in the trade who likely signs an extension (players seem to like Dallas).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #115
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I could see Treliving looking to make a splash like this with the leafs. He loves his older, gritty players and the widely held view is that the leafs are too soft. If Nylander extension talks break down, I could see something like Nylander for Benn + Johnston. He gets a gritty winger and a young player that has the potential to be equivalent to Nylander in a couple years. Stars get the best player in the trade who likely signs an extension (players seem to like Dallas).

I think the whole point of the trade, from Dallas' perspective, is that elusive 2-way C - I think they are looking at that as the missing piece to a team that would be a legitimate contender.

That's why Johnston might be a price they would be willing to pay.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #116
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I agree. I thought I read/heard something about Benn hating Calgary and also I would be shocked to see a team trade a recent 1st who has progressed like a top 5-10 pick since being drafted. I wouldn’t even speculate on it if there wasn’t a little inside smoke around it.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #117
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

I would rather have Lindholm than Nylander and I think many executives would feel the same way. Also Toronto wouldn’t be in a spot to take on another contract hovering around $10M with the Matthews extension looming
Old 06-16-2023, 09:58 AM   #118
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If they are looking for offense, Nylander is a better option

Lindholm is a 60 pt player without a hot Johnny Gaudreau

Of cause he is better defensively and is a center. On the other hand, he doesn’t carry the puck like a top center.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:02 AM   #119
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are some so intent on bringing Lindholm back? He has proven he is not very clutch in the playoffs. He may get us there, but we will get to the playoffs without him.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:04 AM   #120
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point is that not being a world class skater or defensive stalwart makes Coronato just like Point.

Tell me what difference 5’10” and 186 versus 6’0” and 175 makes in any real sense.

And to answer your question - who knows? I know Suzuki, Granlund, Paveklski, Perfetti, Duchene, Domi, Johnston, Jarvis, Hughes, Trochek are all under 6 feet.
Half those players play mostly wing.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote