Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #12161
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
It helps that Philly also had a disappointing season. Can still see a deal involving Konecny and Gaudreau.
The Flyers problem was defence - they were 31st in goals against. Their big target will be an RD, someone like Ekholm.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #12162
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I mean sure if Seattle decides to just take him then whatever. But I think it'd look bad for the Flames to actively convince them to
I don't think they would or ever did, but when ML agreed to come to Calgary - the team didn't have to honor his NMC.

IMO if I'm Seattle - I have my tentacles all over Backlund if he's there but if not I'm taking Gio because of the flip.

You get a C who can play up and down your line up and who is still very effective on the PK.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #12163
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flyers problem was defence - they were 31st in goals against. Their big target will be an RD, someone like Ekholm.
Ekholm is a LD (generally plays with Fabbro, who is a RD)
Old 05-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #12164
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
I don't think they would or ever did, but when ML agreed to come to Calgary - the team didn't have to honor his NMC.

IMO if I'm Seattle - I have my tentacles all over Backlund if he's there but if not I'm taking Gio because of the flip.

You get a C who can play up and down your line up and who is still very effective on the PK.
Without Bennett and Lucic, the Flames can protect backlund?

I think Gio is their best bet. Veteran leadership and flip or resign for cheap after 1 yr
Old 05-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #12165
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I have read on Twitter in articles and fan posts most Sabres fans are very receptive to Tkachuk coming back in an Eichel trade.

If it is Tkachuk, Zary and 1st I would be very pleased I would gladly offer a little more if need be.

If Seattle takes Gio in expansion it hurts the blueline but helps the cap sheet and would allow the Flames to easily absorb the Eichel increased cap hit and sign or trade for a second pairing Dman to play with Rasmus.

Obviously it becomes very crucial for the Flames to have an extension for Gaudreau in place and Mangiapane is also going to need a raise. I look at the Blue Jackets and trade Monahan+3rd for Domi+1st (least favorable of their 3 picks this year). It keeps the Flames in the first round of this draft and frees up a little cap this year and Domi only has 1 year on his deal compared to Monahan’s 2. There will be a few other moves to be made but the bones of the team will be the following.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Mangiapane
Domi-Lindholm-Dube
Lucic-Backlund-?
?-?-?

Hanifin-Tanev
?- Andersson
Kylington-Valimaki

Markstrom
?

If the Flames hope Valimaki or Kylington could play on that second pair they could use the added cap flexibility to chase a better top 6 winger. There is also potential to take a look at Dube up the middle and shift Lindholm to the top line of you really wanted to load it up. Most of those empty slots will be filled by prospects and free agents that excel playing in a Sutter style system.

If Gaudreau playing with Eichel allows them to both hit their ceilings then I think this team could compete for the division.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #12166
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Depending on how the ED goes, they could be in a great position to take a big swing on Hamilton.

Otherwise a Larsson or Savard would be a big help.

Seth Jones/Pulock/Parayko are all UFA in 1 year. The first two are in PHI's division, and I'm not sure STL will be very willing to give up Parayko.

Jarmo probably doesn't seem to GAF about a lot of things; I bet he'd deal Jones anywhere if he won't re-sign.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #12167
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I agree with the concept but I’d try to find a RW in a trade for Monahan. Maybe someone like Rakell or Silfverberg, or a RHS C/RW like Reinhart or Trochek.

I’m also not too sure of the defensive abilities of your Eichel line - is Eichel OK in his own end (because the other two aren’t).
Old 05-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #12168
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
While it'd be nice for the Flames cap situation for Seattle to take Looch, after he waived his clause so that the Flames could protect someone else for the betterment of the team... It would be a massive dick move to convince Seattle to take him
Disagree. It's business. Lucic probably had this scenario outlined to him when he was traded to the Flames. This would not be a surprise. I also don't really care if it is perceived a dick move. If you can dump Lucic's contract you do it. The goal is to improve the team, not keep Milan Lucic happy. Dump that albatross of a contract and you might actually be able to afford a top six RW! Imagine how much better this team would have been this year if they had that cap space to sign Tyler Toffoli.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #12169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Disagree. It's business. Lucic probably had this scenario outlined to him when he was traded to the Flames. This would not be a surprise. I also don't really care if it is perceived a dick move. If you can dump Lucic's contract you do it. The goal is to improve the team, not keep Milan Lucic happy. Dump that albatross of a contract and you might actually be able to afford a top six RW! Imagine how much better this team would have been this year if they had that cap space to sign Tyler Toffoli.
You know who doesn’t care if they pull a dick move? Dicks.

Seriously, there is some reputational risk in doing that. But it all depends on what was discussed with Lucic when they asked him to waive. Did they just say “don’t worry, you won’t be taken because of your salary and then we can protect Dube” or did they say “if you waive we will also ask Seattle to take you”.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #12170
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
From what I have read on Twitter in articles and fan posts most Sabres fans are very receptive to Tkachuk coming back in an Eichel trade.

If it is Tkachuk, Zary and 1st I would be very pleased I would gladly offer a little more if need be.

If Seattle takes Gio in expansion it hurts the blueline but helps the cap sheet and would allow the Flames to easily absorb the Eichel increased cap hit and sign or trade for a second pairing Dman to play with Rasmus.

Obviously it becomes very crucial for the Flames to have an extension for Gaudreau in place and Mangiapane is also going to need a raise. I look at the Blue Jackets and trade Monahan+3rd for Domi+1st (least favorable of their 3 picks this year). It keeps the Flames in the first round of this draft and frees up a little cap this year and Domi only has 1 year on his deal compared to Monahan’s 2. There will be a few other moves to be made but the bones of the team will be the following.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Mangiapane
Domi-Lindholm-Dube
Lucic-Backlund-?
?-?-?

Hanifin-Tanev
?- Andersson
Kylington-Valimaki

Markstrom
?

If the Flames hope Valimaki or Kylington could play on that second pair they could use the added cap flexibility to chase a better top 6 winger. There is also potential to take a look at Dube up the middle and shift Lindholm to the top line of you really wanted to load it up. Most of those empty slots will be filled by prospects and free agents that excel playing in a Sutter style system.

If Gaudreau playing with Eichel allows them to both hit their ceilings then I think this team could compete for the division.
Gaudreau and Eichel would be interesting for sure. You would need to be able to convince Gaudreau to stay though otherwise it's a pointless trade. You're really going all in though if you're trading Tkachuck (probably the most valuable piece in the organization), your top prospect, and another high pick which likely would be the new best prospect in the organization.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #12171
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Gaudreau and Eichel would be interesting for sure. You would need to be able to convince Gaudreau to stay though otherwise it's a pointless trade. You're really going all in though if you're trading Tkachuck (probably the most valuable piece in the organization), your top prospect, and another high pick which likely would be the new best prospect in the organization.
I agree if you can’t get Gaudreau to stay then it doesn’t make sense to spend on Eichel. If Johnny wants to stay and this deal is on the table it is likely the best way this team can retool which is what I think the owners want.

I feel like in this series of moves it accomplishes the task of blowing up the core as only Johnny survives with Gio going to Seattle, Monahan and Tkachuk are traded.

If they are rolling into next year with Eichel, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Mangiapane,
Dube and potentially another top 6 wing from the Monahan deal and also still have Hanifin, Tanev, Andersson, and Valimaki on the blueline with Markstrom in net and Sutter behind the bench. I like that teams chances.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #12172
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk + Backlund (proven chemistry and to make cap work) + Zary + 22 1st for Eichel + Reinhart

Re-sign Gaudreau 7 x 8.25

Expose and lose Gio to Seattle

Sign Oleksiak 5 x 5.25 (Regehr style D for top 4 minutes)
Sign Sutter 2 x 1.25
Sign Ritchie 1 x 1
Sign Stone 1 x 1

Lucic is on the 4th line but still gets PP time and is made captain

Load up the first line and make Monahan the 2nd line center with less pressure.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Monahan - Reinhart (strong side faceoff setup)
Pelletier - Ružička - Dube
Lucic - Sutter - Ritchie

Hanifin - Tanev
Oleksiak - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington/Stone

Markstrom
Backup

I don’t know if this would be over or under the cap?? Lines look fun for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #12173
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I think trading picks for elite talent is not a problem (Hamilton). It's trading picks for guys like Hamonic, Elliott and Lazar that's the problem. None of those guys were considered elite by even the most optimistic. So picks for someone like Eichel isn't a problem IMO. It's the roster fillers like Elliott and Lazar we shouldn't be using picks to acquire
I don’t disagree, but regardless of how we got here we are still without a league average prospect pipeline. We aren’t an elite talent from being a cup contender.

All things equal and if we weren’t in the position we are with zero prospect capital, perhaps bringing in Eichel could make sense. But parting with more assets now would be foolish and shortsighted.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #12174
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The inclusion of the first would concern me if not lotto protected. We've seen that Eichel is no guarantee to stay out of the basement, so giving up a lotto pick in the next couple of drafts would be a disaster.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #12175
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about:
Tkachuk, Zary, 1st for Eichel

Gaudreau for a package of prospects and picks

Sign Taylor Hall

Hopefully Backlund can be picked up by Seattle

Sign Derek Ryan to play behind Eichel and Lindholm

Trade Monahan for a winger or play him on the wing

...The Hall and Eichel experiment didn't work at all in Buffalo but I think there are many reasons for why Buffalo is a trainwreck.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #12176
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Hall had a shooting percentage better than close to zero, maybe those two look a lot better together...
Old 05-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #12177
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
It helps that Philly also had a disappointing season. Can still see a deal involving Konecny and Gaudreau.
That would be a loss for the Flames so they better have many more moves lined up if they do that
Old 05-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #12178
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You know who doesn’t care if they pull a dick move? Dicks.

Seriously, there is some reputational risk in doing that. But it all depends on what was discussed with Lucic when they asked him to waive. Did they just say “don’t worry, you won’t be taken because of your salary and then we can protect Dube” or did they say “if you waive we will also ask Seattle to take you”.
You do what is best for the hockey team. If you can move a $5M+ contract that occupies a spot in the bottom six, you do so. This is likely the only opportunity to do so without retaining salary or taking salary back. You lose two years of bad contract and move the team forward. That is all that matters. If you think that keeping Lucic happy over this team's success is Treliving's goal, that might explain why this team sucks so bad. Eliminate mistakes when you can. This is a massive opportunity to rid yourself of a mistake and push the team forward.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #12179
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The inclusion of the first would concern me if not lotto protected. We've seen that Eichel is no guarantee to stay out of the basement, so giving up a lotto pick in the next couple of drafts would be a disaster.
I'd be fine doing multiple 1st if they were protected and conditional to gp/performance:

2022 1st - top 3 protected if Eichel (1) plays 60+ games at (2) PPG or greater that season.
becomes a 2nd if only 1 of the above is met
becomes a 3rd if neither of the above are met

I'd include up to three of those. Added bonus is that the picks are locked down and can't be traded away!!!!
Old 05-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #12180
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure if this is considered a hot take or not, but I don’t see Gio or Tkachuk moving this offseason. I don’t think people know Darryl if think he’s going to be ok giving up his #1 defenseman right now. Darryl has actually stated that Gio is the team’s best defenseman too. So I don’t think there’s a chance Gio moves. Darryl is all about winning, he doesn’t give a squat about age. So I could very well see his 4th favorite defenseman Noah Hanifin being moved instead.

I think in the end, Matthew Tkachuk stays as well because his line has a ton of chemistry right now and I’m not sure breaking up one good line to maybe build 2 lines is a good idea. What happens if no one can effectively replace Tkachuk and the Flames end up with 2 inconsistent top lines?

I love the idea of adding Jack Eichel, but not at the expense of breaking up an already functionally elite line because isn’t that point of adding Jack Eichel? The hope that he can help create an elite line? To break up an already elite line just to create another type of elite line seems counterproductive. I’d honestly rather take a lesser center and try to build a strong second line while keeping Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk together.
Closed Thread