Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #741
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another gem from The Root

The 2nd Annual World Wypipo (white person) Tournament: Who is the Worst?

Quote:
For over a decade, The Root has chronicled the Caucastic shenanigans of our melanin-deficient counterparts. While the 2018 Tournament of Wypipo marks the second time we have officially held this competition, our community has a long history of ranking and judging wypipo.
https://www.theroot.com/the-2nd-annu...ors-1828029825

Still available on all social media platforms
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #742
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025922961910325248

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #743
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Ah, the ol' fortune cookie reference when speaking about an Asian. Throw in an "Asian sounding name" as coined by American entertainment, such as "Ling Ling" or "Chong Ching" as bonus!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #744
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
A NYT has released a statement about the above tweet

Quote:
As comedian on the FOX news as well as a person of color, he is no stranger to harassment — as he himself noted before explaining that in the tweets being circulated as proof of his supposed “racism,” he had been engaging “in what I thought of at the time as counter-trolling.”
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #745
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The erosion of universalism - the ideal embedded in our systems that people should be regarded as individuals and treated the same regardless of their identity - is already having a malign effect on politics. Younger voters in the U.S., for instance, are becoming increasingly polarized on gender lines. And it doesn't matter whether the source is gamer gate trolls or the zealots who denounce gaming culture as misogynist, the effects are the same: every instance of maligning entire groups only throws fire on the problem, regardless of who is being targeted.

Why is it so hard to promote the idea of not maligning anyone based on their group identity?
We can still make fun of Oilers fans though, right?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #746
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Another gem from The Root

The 2nd Annual World Wypipo (white person) Tournament: Who is the Worst?

https://www.theroot.com/the-2nd-annu...ors-1828029825

Still available on all social media platforms
I’m going to have to say that i thought I was generally opposed to racism against white people but I found that funny not offensive.

Last edited by GGG; 08-07-2018 at 06:03 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #747
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’m going to have to say that i thought I was generally opposed to racism against white people but I found that funny not offensive.
Racism isn't funny.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 AM   #748
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Racism isn't funny.
When you post something like that as an example of racism you give a lot of credence to the leftist argument that their has to be a power element to racism.

Did that article offend you?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #749
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The New York Times can hire and fire whomever they want, as a private corporation they have that right.

I just find it funny that the crusaders here are bending over backwards to defend all of her tweets when if it was a white person that tweeted "oh man it's kind of sick how much enjoyment I get out of being cruel to old Arab women" you'd all be going nuts that that person was hired.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #750
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
The New York Times can hire and fire whomever they want, as a private corporation they have that right.

I just find it funny that the crusaders here are bending over backwards to defend all of her tweets when if it was a white person that tweeted "oh man it's kind of sick how much enjoyment I get out of being cruel to old Arab women" you'd all be going nuts that that person was hired.
Because context matters, and rarely is there a situation where you can just swap things around and has it be the same.

Her tweets aren’t a good look, but she had a good explanation.
Just like James Gunn’s tweets.
Just like Josh Hader’s tweets.

You just have to hope it’s a learning moment and they prove that those tweets were either A) not representative of themselves, or B) they can show the growth required.

But ignoring context, and calling people “crusaders” and playing the white-victim card really doesn’t give you much of an argument, and makes you look petty.

I think we can probably agree that the movement towards looking at tweets (for example) in a more measured way, is a good thing. So pointing out hypocrisy and throwing out insults when that happens is counter productive, you never want to use negative reinforcement on positive change. Should it swing back the other way, then yeah, that’s a good time.

I guess, what I find funny, is how some people are more interested in playing “gotchya!” then having people from “the other side of the isle” see things their way, even if for a moment. It’s sad.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 08-08-2018 at 07:02 AM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #751
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The controversial tweets aside, I went back and saw that her tweets are very politically charged. Not sure that's a great look for a newspaper. Unless you're the Calgary Sun or something. Is that what the NYT wants to become?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #752
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are going to have a very hard time convincing people who care about this stuff when you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Unfortunately its just the way it is.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #753
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You are going to have a very hard time convincing people who care about this stuff when you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Unfortunately its just the way it is.
That's true but context is important.

If Grampa is making racist comments at Thanksgiving dinner I think most people roll their eyes, ignore him or, at worst, correct him. Grampa presumably has no control or even influence over the treatment of the racial groups he disparages. We think of him as an idiot, old-school and laughable.
If the CEO of a publicly traded company makes the same statements during a shareholders meeting the consequences are much different because he has a great deal more control and influence over the treatment of the racial groups he disparages. We can't laugh off his comments because he actually has the power to follow through on his ridiculous beliefs.

Historically, POC in Canada and the US have been in the minority, in terms of population, money and power. So, when they say something racist it doesn't have the same oomf as someone who historically has more influence in our society. Even so, generalizing about other people, races, cultures, etc. is unwise at best and dangerous at worst. Nevermind that POC are gaining both in population and influence.

Racism is never okay regardless of who is practicing it. However, how we deal with it depends on context. That said, it is always a good practice to not be an idiot.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #754
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Because context matters, and rarely is there a situation where you can just swap things around and has it be the same.

Just like James Gunn’s tweets.
Just like Josh Hader’s tweets.

You just have to hope it’s a learning moment and they prove that those tweets were either A) not representative of themselves, or B) they can show the growth required.

But ignoring context, and calling people “crusaders” and playing the white-victim card really doesn’t give you much of an argument, and makes you look petty.

I think we can probably agree that the movement towards looking at tweets (for example) in a more measured way, is a good thing. So pointing out hypocrisy and throwing out insults when that happens is counter productive, you never want to use negative reinforcement on positive change. Should it swing back the other way, then yeah, that’s a good time.

I guess, what I find funny, is how some people are more interested in playing “gotchya!” then having people from “the other side of the isle” see things their way, even if for a moment. It’s sad.
Where did I play the "white victim card"? NYT can hire whomever they want, her tweets effect me exactly 0%

I personally think this new blood sport of digging up tweets is stupid, especially when the latest flavour of them is 13 year old future athletes quoting rap lyrics or just being general idiots. But I find the "she was mocking trolls" angle defence especially weak considering these tweets are spread out over many months and only like one I saw was actually directed at a person.

Maybe you guys and the internet at large would accept that as an excuse if the tables were turned but I seriously seriously doubt it.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #755
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Historically, POC in Canada and the US have been in the minority, in terms of population, money and power. So, when they say something racist it doesn't have the same oomf as someone who historically has more influence in our society.
As a journalist with a national platform, Jeong has a more influential voice than 99.9 per cent of people.

It really is astonishing to see the left discard universalism, the principle responsible for all the gains of minorities in the last 60 years. The far right is a big enough threat without the left doing their work for them.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #756
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't months, it spread from 2012 to 2016 at least. And at least a number of times it was unprompted, a normal discussion between her and a person of colour where she would randomly say " and #### white people."

There was no good explanation. Anyone saying so has a severe bias when it comes to this.

I think you can say it's not a big deal, that attacking generic white people on twitter by a (at least at the time) no-name racist is not a concern. I would agree. Trying to bend over backwards to make that racist not be a racist? Arguing that it was satire for half a decade? Lol. Let's just call a spade a spade and not get into identify politics because she's "on our side."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #757
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I often attack generic white people on twitter. Is it ok cause I’m white, clearly joking, or both? Or am I a racist because white people need to be a protected class? I can’t decide if the willful ignorance of North American society’s power dynamic is intentional or if the urge to “both sides, many sides” every conversation is just that strong.

Impressive hijack to make this thread about the plight of white people though. It’s been fun to watch in real time.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #758
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
She did?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #759
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I often attack generic white people on twitter. Is it ok cause I’m white, clearly joking, or both? Or am I a racist because white people need to be a protected class? I can’t decide if the willful ignorance of North American society’s power dynamic is intentional or if the urge to “both sides, many sides” every conversation is just that strong.

Impressive hijack to make this thread about the plight of white people though. It’s been fun to watch in real time.
Holding people to the same standard isn't a cry about the plight of white people. Holding people to the same standard is the end goal in fighting racism isn't it? While not a huge deal in the big scheme of things there is some hypocrisy to seen here and some mental gymnastics to justify it.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #760
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
When you post something like that as an example of racism you give a lot of credence to the leftist argument that their has to be a power element to racism.

Did that article offend you?
No, i'm not thin skinned but how i feel doesn't matter. It is part of a much bigger conversation. Trust me The Root is not satire, nothing they produce is mean't to be funny. So answer me this..How does stuff like that help? How is that making the world a better place? For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The Root just like the sites on the other end (Daily Stormer) contribute nothing to society other than to invoke your emotions usually in a negative way.

As far as the recent addition of power to the definition thanks the SJW left. Well i mean it's a weak piece of logic, it's not universal and sure it makes sense depending on what parts of history you are cherry picking and what country you are applying it too...but that's why it's weak and there isn't an absent of better ideas out there.