Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 AM   #81
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sens got a decent return for Stone

Stone was also considered an elite player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:21 AM   #82
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I would prefer we did a hockey trade or added a sweetener and brought in someone with elite skill. We have the ability to do it and the Flames need to revamp that top line. Elis is an excellent player we can build around. If we were to trade for high picks/prospects we might as well start the rebuild over.

Hard to imagine a trade in which Tkachuk is traded with a sweetener for a better, elite talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 AM   #83
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sens got a decent return for Stone
That is true. Matthew is nowhere near the 200 foot player that Stone is. But the Flames could possibly get the Stone package of a former mid 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick for Tkachuk.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #84
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
That is true. Matthew is nowhere near the 200 foot player that Stone is. But the Flames could possibly get the Stone package of a former mid 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick for Tkachuk.
(for fun) What type of hockey trade do you see going down in a Matthew to the sens/blues deal?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #85
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk could be an attractive piece to a lot of teams. The Flames need to make some moves this summer, even if they are lateral. Change the makeup and bring in some fresh blood. Tkachuk, Monahan, and Gaudreau should all be moved this summer for various reasons. Let the culling begin.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #86
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would add to that , I think they should expose Backlund in the expansion draft and keep Gio if only to deal him at the deadline. Ideally, next season should start with almost a completely new top 6. If the team is seriously considering a rebuild, I would be open to trading Lindholm but only because he holds so much value. It would take a huge over payment because he's the kind of guy I would want to keep around on the team. Mangi and Dube are guys I'd keep too but again would be open to trading. If Seattle took Backlund, it would open up a roster spot and a lot of cap space to sighn a free agent or to take on another team's bad contract for assets. If they're doing a rebuild, do it right and collect as many assets as possible. Sign any big name UFA to a high money 1 year deal to trade at the deadline if possible.

All of this is wishful thinking because they're more likely to keep the team together and find a way to add Hall.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #87
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

There isn't a player on this team that should not be available if a trade came along that could improve this team long term. Everyone currently on the roster is available.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #88
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the is a rift on this team and it is reasonable to assume Tkachuk is at the center of it. I have wondered if the animated highlights of Tkachuk’s disbelief the team choked up a 3-0 lead in game 6 against Dallas irked some of his teammates? His reactions were priceless as we were all doing the same in our homes.

Fast forward to this year and the closed door meeting and rumors teammates told Tkachuk to tone it down has been a key factor in this teams and Tkachuk’s struggles this year.

The way I see it the Flames go as Tkachuk does

2017- establishes himself as a NHLer and top 6 forward and the team makes the playoffs after finishing bottom 5 the previous year

2018- the team is in a playoff spot most of the season, Tkachuk gets concussed and misses the final 14 games and the team spirals out of the playoffs

2019- breakout season for the Flames and Tkachuk 34 goals, 76 points playing on the second line and first PP

2020- leads the team in scoring for the first time pacing for 73pts over a full season but the rest of the team takes a step back. They still make the playoffs. Tkachuk is injured and the team loses 4 of 5 to be eliminated

2021- both the team and player struggle mightily and are destined to miss the playoffs and Tkachuk have his worst numbers to date

I think there is a rift and the organization will be choosing between Tkachuk and the other group this offseason. I think they choose Tkachuk if he indicates he is here for the long term (which might include a rough season or 2 to retool).
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #89
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkarlpatton View Post
(for fun) What type of hockey trade do you see going down in a Matthew to the sens/blues deal?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
The Blues make much more sense as a trading partner for Tkachuk than the Sens. The Blues are in win now mode, so a deal would likely centre around one of their blue chip younger players, so Thomas or Kyrou.

Tkachuk
Flames 2nd 2021 (from Florida)

for

Thomas
Blais
St Louis 1st 2021
St Louis 3rd 2021
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #90
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
He’s no where near any individual metric of Stones game.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #91
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Blues make much more sense as a trading partner for Tkachuk than the Sens. The Blues are in win now mode, so a deal would likely centre around one of their blue chip younger players, so Thomas or Kyrou.

Tkachuk
Flames 2nd 2021 (from Florida)

for

Thomas
Blais
St Louis 1st 2021
St Louis 3rd 2021
Cap? St Louis is up against it (aren't all contenders?), so getting rid of cheap players to get very expensive (and getting more expensive) players isn't easy.

Especially when the Blues likely think Thomas is going to be as good as Tkachuk.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #92
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
He’s no where near any individual metric of Stones game.
Agreed. Stone is what the Flames hoped Tkachuk would become. He looked potentially headed there, but has taken a giant step back.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #93
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Cap? St Louis is up against it (aren't all contenders?), so getting rid of cheap players to get very expensive (and getting more expensive) players isn't easy.

Especially when the Blues likely think Thomas is going to be as good as Tkachuk.
Agreed. But the Blues have Bozak and Hoffman coming off the books as UFAs, so that’s $9 mil in space.

Realistically, the Blues would want to send salary back. But I don’t see any obvious candidates, unless the Flames take on a dman like Scandella.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #94
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't hate the idea of the Flames making a similar trade to the Mantha for Vrana trade (with the Flames picking up a couple of extra assets like Detroit did)
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #95
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It seems like the is a rift on this team and it is reasonable to assume Tkachuk is at the center of it. I have wondered if the animated highlights of Tkachuk’s disbelief the team choked up a 3-0 lead in game 6 against Dallas irked some of his teammates? His reactions were priceless as we were all doing the same in our homes.

Fast forward to this year and the closed door meeting and rumors teammates told Tkachuk to tone it down has been a key factor in this teams and Tkachuk’s struggles this year.

The way I see it the Flames go as Tkachuk does

2017- establishes himself as a NHLer and top 6 forward and the team makes the playoffs after finishing bottom 5 the previous year

2018- the team is in a playoff spot most of the season, Tkachuk gets concussed and misses the final 14 games and the team spirals out of the playoffs

2019- breakout season for the Flames and Tkachuk 34 goals, 76 points playing on the second line and first PP

2020- leads the team in scoring for the first time pacing for 73pts over a full season but the rest of the team takes a step back. They still make the playoffs. Tkachuk is injured and the team loses 4 of 5 to be eliminated

2021- both the team and player struggle mightily and are destined to miss the playoffs and Tkachuk have his worst numbers to date

I think there is a rift and the organization will be choosing between Tkachuk and the other group this offseason. I think they choose Tkachuk if he indicates he is here for the long term (which might include a rough season or 2 to retool).
I don't really agree with this at all. Firstly, I think saying there is a rift on the team that Tkachuk is at the centre of is almost entirely fantasy. Where were these rumors coming from that there is a rift with Tkachuk? Secondly, I don't think 'as Tkachuk goes, the Team goes' is true either, I think the Flames are very thin on top end talent, so if one of our best players starts playing like an average player it is going to cause problems. That could be Johnny, Monny, Lindholm, Gio, etc. We just can't afford any of our top players to have a bad year.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #96
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I would add to that , I think they should expose Backlund in the expansion draft and keep Gio if only to deal him at the deadline. Ideally, next season should start with almost a completely new top 6. If the team is seriously considering a rebuild, I would be open to trading Lindholm but only because he holds so much value. It would take a huge over payment because he's the kind of guy I would want to keep around on the team. Mangi and Dube are guys I'd keep too but again would be open to trading. If Seattle took Backlund, it would open up a roster spot and a lot of cap space to sighn a free agent or to take on another team's bad contract for assets. If they're doing a rebuild, do it right and collect as many assets as possible. Sign any big name UFA to a high money 1 year deal to trade at the deadline if possible.

All of this is wishful thinking because they're more likely to keep the team together and find a way to add Hall.
To do that wouldn’t the Flames have to protect 8 skaters instead of 7 forwards and 3 D? So now you are protecting Gio, Tanev, Andersson and Hanifin plus Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan and Mangiapane. You now expose Dube as well?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Christ....this place has gone off its rocker.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #98
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Agreed. But the Blues have Bozak and Hoffman coming off the books as UFAs, so that’s $9 mil in space.

Realistically, the Blues would want to send salary back. But I don’t see any obvious candidates, unless the Flames take on a dman like Scandella.
They also have Schwartz as a pending UFA (and that’s probably the position Tkachuk would take).

Frankly, I’d want a 2022 1st, Neighbors, and Blais. If they want they can throw in a Perron for salary evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #99
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They also have Schwartz as a pending UFA (and that’s probably the position Tkachuk would take).

Frankly, I’d want a 2022 1st, Neighbors, and Blais. If they want they can throw in a Perron for salary evening.
What nice way to tank the team. We are not rebuilding, the idea is to win now by bringing in Sutter. Any deal with the Blues has to start with Tarasenko who fills a serious need on the Flames.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #100
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What nice way to tank the team. We are not rebuilding, the idea is to win now by bringing in Sutter. Any deal with the Blues has to start with Tarasenko who fills a serious need on the Flames.
Yeah, tanking is absolutely what I had in mind - because I don’t think tinkering can fix this team enough to do more than squeak in again, and then get beaten in the POs.

No team that thinks they can use a top player from Calgary is going to send a top player away in return. That kills the purpose of the acquisition. Every single top player from Calgary is a “nice addition” on a contender. They aren’t a franchise player. Those teams already have those. Plus, a deal for a Tarasenko is for Tkachuk +, not the other way around.

And if you’re going to tank, next year and the following one is when you do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: