Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #121
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can give 3 suggestions right now:

- Ditch the Bush Bar
- Alter the ride height so the nose isnt down
- Normal coloured wheels (not black on black)

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #122
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
White is definitely much harder to paint than black, but I doubt that's the reason.
Just comes down to supply. The recognition thing is an interesting angle because it's why a lot of US police went back to black and white too, Homeland Security suggested more police services start doing it so people see a standard for what a police car is. But it trickled into Canada because of it. Most orders from the manufacturers were for the black cars so that's where most production went. Canadian services could buy a black car off the lot and have it delivered quickly, or wait and pay more for a different coloured one to be made.

Last edited by btimbit; 11-02-2016 at 01:30 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #123
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It definitely is interesting how in certain countries, the Police liveries give the impression that they want to be seen, with their use of bright colors and white cars.

You get this type of livery and uniform, that suggests they are there to help (not unlike an ambulance).

Here the colors always seem to give the impression of hiding and intimidation. Dark cars, dark uniforms, bull bars. Even their motto "Vigilance, Courage, Pride" is more about them and who they project to be, instead of what they are meant to do for the public.

One may be more psychologically intimidating, which Im not sure is the best way to go in the long run when it comes to reducing crime. The best cops are the ones who try to integrate into their communities, not bully them.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #124
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I much prefer the UK force colours than ours.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #125
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about a little bit of recognition for 'the good' the CPS does, as unfortunately only 'the bad' gets shared and heard: https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryPoli...type=3&theater
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #126
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
One may be more psychologically intimidating, which Im not sure is the best way to go in the long run when it comes to reducing crime. The best cops are the ones who try to integrate into their communities, not bully them.
More than anything in the first image they actually look like public servants, they look similar to mailmen or other public employees. The Calgary police look like a private ensemble, just doesn't seem as open and public. They have a more intimidating posture and the all black with the gun on the hip is more military style. The gun on the hip for quickdraw definitely makes me nervous being around them and I generally hold them in pretty high esteem.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #127
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
More than anything in the first image they actually look like public servants, they look similar to mailmen or other public employees. The Calgary police look like a private ensemble, just doesn't seem as open and public. They have a more intimidating posture and the all black with the gun on the hip is more military style. The gun on the hip for quickdraw definitely makes me nervous being around them and I generally hold them in pretty high esteem.
It seems Canadian police culture has been heavily influenced by American police culture - much more than it's been influenced by British or European police culture. Is violent crime really that much more common in Canada than in Europe to warrant the more militaristic bearing of the police? Or is it just one of those strange cross-border contagions?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #128
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it odd that people are intimidated by a colour.

To Cliff's comment, I don't know.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of violent crimes in "western" countries.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #129
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It seems Canadian police culture has been heavily influenced by American police culture - much more than it's been influenced by British or European police culture. Is violent crime really that much more common in Canada than in Europe to warrant the more militaristic bearing of the police? Or is it just one of those strange cross-border contagions?
Yeah, I could have sworn during the early 2000's there was lots of talk of not wanting to be like American law enforcement, and how CPS was trying (and other Canadian agencies) to take a much more customer service, European approach to law enforcement, and stay away from the militaristic style.

Now it seems over the years we switched gears and just went the American route, with heavily armed, intimidating presence.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #130
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I dunno about you but a cop dressed in all black is more intimidating than if they were dressed in drunk tank pink.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #131
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

To Cliff's comment, I don't know.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of violent crimes in "western" countries.
Because wearing all black clothes has never once been associated with bad behavior, it's not a common theme in society or anything. Just crazily associated intimidation and all black clothing, yeah, my bad.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #132
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because wearing all black clothes has never once been associated with bad behavior, it's not a common theme in society or anything. Just crazily associated intimidation and all black clothing, yeah, my bad.
I said I find it odd that people are intimidated by a colour.

I didn't say you couldn't feel that way, nor did I say I thought you were a shallow scared little man for feeling that way.

Man you fly off the handle.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #133
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I said I find it odd that people are intimidated by a colour.

I didn't say you couldn't feel that way, nor did I say I thought you were a shallow scared little man for feeling that way.

Man you fly off the handle.
It may be weird to you, but also psychologically true.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #134
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is it odd that people are intimidated by a color? Colors have long had strong roots in not only symbolism, but also the ability to evoke certain types of responses (ie there's a reason why hospital rooms are often done in softer pastel colors). The responses might be different depending on our cultures, but we're all affected by them. I doubt you'll find many cultures where the color black is considered particularly friendly.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #135
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its funny to read some of the points posted here about colours. The cars were changed, as others have stated, as a cost saving measure. With ford no longer making the crown vics the current vehicle was selected as a replacement due in large part to the costs. The bumper on the front is not a push bar, this is a mount for the new sirens/whooper the cars use. I think the problem is either the information isn’t getting out there to people or people are picking and choosing what they want to pay attention to.

It’s strange to read people complaining about black/white colours and saying they should go back to the blue even if it costs more, yet on the other hand complaining that police services have photo radar that is a cash grab and they should get rid of it. Money has to come from somewhere.
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #136
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
The bumper on the front is not a push bar, this is a mount for the new sirens/whooper the cars use.
I don't know about that. The company that makes these things calls that model "THE SETINA PB-400 PURSUIT PUSH BUMPERS" and describe how it's built and how tough it us. They don't call it a mount anywhere, far as I can see.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/setina-pb...per-w-pad.html

The howler is mounted on it, but you don't need a mount that you could put a rhino's head on to hold that thing up.

It seems like something that could come in handy on a police car, so I'm surprised it's controversial, but it's not just a mount for a little box.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #137
jayswin

Exp:

lol. Yeah, you anti police guys would think that the setina PB 400 pursuit push bumper is a push bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #138
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Just comes down to supply. The recognition thing is an interesting angle because it's why a lot of US police went back to black and white too, Homeland Security suggested more police services start doing it so people see a standard for what a police car is. But it trickled into Canada because of it. Most orders from the manufacturers were for the black cars so that's where most production went. Canadian services could buy a black car off the lot and have it delivered quickly, or wait and pay more for a different coloured one to be made.
Has nothing to do with supply. White is just a harder color to paint.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #139
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Why is it odd that people are intimidated by a color? Colors have long had strong roots in not only symbolism, but also the ability to evoke certain types of responses (ie there's a reason why hospital rooms are often done in softer pastel colors). The responses might be different depending on our cultures, but we're all affected by them. I doubt you'll find many cultures where the color black is considered particularly friendly.
Do you have hard data on this? Sounds like partisan rhetoric to me
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #140
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

So why have police forces become more militarized in North America generally speaking? What has caused this?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote