Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #41
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The banner for the great regular season that you enjoyed so much. They won the Pacific division. Its in the OP.

You know...'The' Banner in question.
You should just pretend that there is no banner. In the same fashion that you are pretending that the Flames regular season was an abject failure.

It's a little embarrassing that I have to teach you how to do your own historical revisionism.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #42
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

I'm fine with this. Remember when the Preds had their cringey 2017-2018 "Regular Season Western Conference Champions" ceremony?

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #43
tvp2003
Franchise Player
 
tvp2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Just say no to any and all pre-game ceremonies, including banner raisings, national anthems, monthly three star trophies, welcome back montages, and moments of silence. Just have the teams warm-up and then drop the puck, beer league style.

Am I doing this right?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Just say no to any and all pre-game ceremonies, including banner raisings, national anthems, monthly three star trophies, welcome back montages, and moments of silence. Just have the teams warm-up and then drop the puck, beer league style.

Am I doing this right?
If you're serious, I think that's lame and takes a lot of the fun out of the fan experience

But I don't think you're being serious
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples, Edmonton Journal
Holland made transactions which have been a net positive for the Oilers, including his massive, massive, massive Grade A trade of Milan Lucic to the Calgary Flames for James Neal.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #45
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

As it should be. It was the banner they got, not the one that they wanted. I like that the team isn't resting on this accomplishment.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #46
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You should just pretend that there is no banner. In the same fashion that you are pretending that the Flames regular season was an abject failure.

It's a little embarrassing that I have to teach you how to do your own historical revisionism.
I never said the regular season was an abject failure, I said it was overshadowed by the playoff failure.

You should criticize the text more thoroughly. Its more than a little embarrassing that I have to teach that to you.

I also said, in my text, that they won the Pacific division. They have the banner to prove it.

Yay.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #47
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

I wonder if marketing people wanted to make a ceremony of it, but the GM overruled them. I wonder if the GM has power or just influence over non-hockey matters like that.
CroFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #48
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere in Time
Exp:
Default

I look forward to seeing the 2019-2020 version go up.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
tvp2003
Franchise Player
 
tvp2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If you're serious, I think that's lame and takes a lot of the fun out of the fan experience

But I don't think you're being serious
Haha, no, I wasn't serious. The point was that banner or no banner, anthem or no anthem, there will always be something for someone to complain about...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I never said the regular season was an abject failure, I said it was overshadowed by the playoff failure.
Which is something I acknowledged, but which you have ignored...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I pointed out as much specifically in my post, but "overshadowing" the memory is entirely different than revising it altogether. The fact is, the Flames played a very good second half—definitely not as good as the first, but also not anywhere near the debacle that some people seem to misremember. The disappointment should come exclusively from what happened in the playoffs, because the regular season—from start to finish—is rightly characterized is pretty spectacular.
At issue here is not how we should feel about the totality of the 2018–19 season, but rather how should we feel about the second most impressive Regular Season in franchise history. If you would take time to read things before spouting off, you would have recognized the point to which you responded, and my subsequent employment of a reducto ad absurdum to illustrate as much. Sadly, you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You should criticize the text more thoroughly. Its more than a little embarrassing that I have to teach that to you.

I also said, in my text, that they won the Pacific division. They have the banner to prove it.

Yay.
You responded to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.
With this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The last 5 leave a sour taste that somewhat invalidates the prior 82.

Those 82 games were to jockey for position and get the fans amped up for the playoffs.

Upon which the team promptly face-planted and went home. That being the most recent memory....yeah, overshadows a nice regular season.

If the playoffs hadnt been a complete and utter disaster then I might agree with you. But they were, and so here we are.
My reading comprehension is just fine, thanks. Since you have openly disagreed with my suggestion that the Regular Season be remembered and celebrated for what it was, then what option am I left with other than to conclude that you are content to manufacture an alternative history of the Flames's Regular Season in view of your disappointment with the Playoffs?

So, in the end my recommendation continues to be this: If you are going to be disappointed, then be disappointed about the Playoffs. I don't see how any useful purpose is served to use that frustration to exaggerate the truth about the Regular Season, which is what was taking place in the post to which I responded in the first place. My problem is with the exaggeration, not the disappointment.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #51
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
SportsJunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Jesus, some people need to let go.
__________________
Let's go!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #52
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere in Time
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Jesus, some people need to let go.
But Glen Gulutzan, Brouwer, Smith and Neal! We need to remember to be angry about them!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #53
MissTeeks
Franchise Player
 
MissTeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Just think, only 30 days until we have a whole new season of things to bitch about!
__________________
The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true. Go Flames Go!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #54
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000
 
Toonage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

^ Pfft. More like 4 days. I'm going to let those prospects have it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Just my opinion, but the only regular season banner any team should raise is the President's trophy. I do wish that trophy was a much bigger deal but that's just not the way in most NA sports.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #56
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #57
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just my opinion, but the only regular season banner any team should raise is the President's trophy. I do wish that trophy was a much bigger deal but that's just not the way in most NA sports.
I’d agree with this. Winning the division just seems somewhat insignificant for a banner raising. The division could be weaker, the divisions are fairly small, four teams get to raise one every year, etc.

Having the best record in the entire league, making it to the finals, and winning the Cup are all significant accomplishments. Division champions just seems like a way to add significance to the divisions themselves. I think it’d make a little more sense if they played the majority of games in-division.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #58
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere in Time
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’d agree with this. Winning the division just seems somewhat insignificant for a banner raising. The division could be weaker, the divisions are fairly small, four teams get to raise one every year, etc.

Having the best record in the entire league, making it to the finals, and winning the Cup are all significant accomplishments. Division champions just seems like a way to add significance to the divisions themselves. I think it’d make a little more sense if they played the majority of games in-division.
Out of 82 games 29 are in the division, 35% of regular season games are played within the Pacific division. Its not a huge deal, but it is not totally insignificant. I look at it a similar way as Soccer does derby matches. Last season we were the best out of all of our rivals. If we can't celebrate that then the terrorists have won.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’d agree with this. Winning the division just seems somewhat insignificant for a banner raising. The division could be weaker, the divisions are fairly small, four teams get to raise one every year, etc.

Having the best record in the entire league, making it to the finals, and winning the Cup are all significant accomplishments. Division champions just seems like a way to add significance to the divisions themselves. I think it’d make a little more sense if they played the majority of games in-division.
I also tend to agree, and in the present the most effective argument to be made for raising banners for Division winners comes from an appreciation of the tradition: Divisional banners are raised because they have always been raised in the living memory of most hockey fans. Were the League to adopt a departure from the tradition, then I would think it should also come at the expense of all the existing Divisional winning banners.

From the League's perspective, I think it makes sense for aesthetic reasons. Let's be honest: were no team to celebrate Division wins, then most buildings would have almost no banners having in the rafters. The banners fill out the building and make it a more inviting place to be. Is this enough of an excuse to keep raising them?
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #60
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I also tend to agree, and in the present the most effective argument to be made for raising banners for Division winners comes from an appreciation of the tradition: Divisional banners are raised because they have always been raised in the living memory of most hockey fans. Were the League to adopt a departure from the tradition, then I would think it should also come at the expense of all the existing Divisional winning banners.

From the League's perspective, I think it makes sense for aesthetic reasons. Let's be honest: were no team to celebrate Division wins, then most buildings would have almost no banners having in the rafters. The banners fill out the building and make it a more inviting place to be. Is this enough of an excuse to keep raising them?
To be honest, I wasn't really aware raising division bammers was a tradition. Is that true for all teams? I doubt Montreal does it.

As an aside, my favorite MLB team, the Astros, changed up their banners a couple of years ago. Whereas previously every post season team had a banner, they now have only two. A NL pennant and a World Series championship. The other post season teams have smaller plaques in a different part of the building. I kind of like that. The Astros are a team with little success over their history until recently and they're making a point of what they aspire to be.

Regardless of what they do, I hope the Flames give thought as to how things will be in the new building. I don't really feel more banners is necessarily better.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016