Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #21
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes, yes, but is Backstreet Back?
It was, briefly, and is now gone again.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
It was, briefly, and is now gone again.
Probably for the best.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #23
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post

The Calgary Flames quietly unveiled their 2018-19 Pacific Division Champions banner last July 25th when the Backstreet Boys performed several of their hit songs at the Saddledome. As a fan of four years, there’s a few issues I’d like to discuss:

1. I’m surprised that they decided to unveil it in this fashion. You know - roll the banner, hang it, and call it a day. I always believed that you have to hang any kind of banner at your home season opener in front of your fans. No longer. (Thanks, CSEC.) Have the Flames always been like this? Take note that I only started cheering for them in the Spring of 2015. When the "2006 NW Division Champions" banner occurred, I wasn’t even into hockey let alone know who Iginla and the Flames are. I lived in the Philippines. It was and still is all about basketball. So it would be nice to know from you guys on the Flames’ stance were hang banners that are not the Stanley Cup.
2. I’m also surprised that the banner design looks dissimilar the previous Pacific Division Champions banners. I would have loved to see the Black C with the old design. The classic white C and the 1994-2000 white C had their exposures with the previous design. Oh wow, what could have been (see pic below).

Thoughts on the banner?
I like the banner how it is.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameX View Post
I like the banner how it is.
Overall, I'm alright with it. I think I'd actually prefer they all be different to reflect the current style/theme of the team/era.

But do it with a little style.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #25
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m really disappointed at the quiet unveiling. Yeah the playoffs were a disaster but the regular season was an amazing ride and the division championship was well earned. As a long suffering Flames fan I was proud of the accomplishment and am almost insulted Flames management doesn’t feel the same.

I would have liked to see a quick unveiling before the home opener. No need for anything flashy just mention the accomplishment, unveil the banner, and move on quickly.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issues with the banner but I don’t think it needs a ceremony or anything. Just put it up and leave it at that.

Save the ceremony for a Stanley Cup banner.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:10 AM   #27
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way in which our season came to a close following the ASB and then the embarrassment of the playoffs really sucked the life out of any desire to celebrate what was an otherwise entertaining season.

The banner is up, let’s just leave it at that. Hopefully it will send a message that although we have improved, it isn’t yet enough for when it really counts.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:10 AM   #28
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

After raising the banner, did the backstreet boys play bye, bye, bye?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 AM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
After raising the banner, did the *backstreet boys play bye, bye, bye?
*N'Sync.

Sheesh, what self-respecting grown adult male hockey fan doesn't know that?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I’m really disappointed at the quiet unveiling. Yeah the playoffs were a disaster but the regular season was an amazing ride and the division championship was well earned. As a long suffering Flames fan I was proud of the accomplishment and am almost insulted Flames management doesn’t feel the same.

I would have liked to see a quick unveiling before the home opener. No need for anything flashy just mention the accomplishment, unveil the banner, and move on quickly.
The home opener hasn't happened yet, so we don't know what they have planned for it at this time. I'd guess they'll probably do something to acknowledge it, but there's no reason to go through the pomp of actually having a banner raising. Just put it in its place and shine a spotlight on it at the appropriate time during the home opener.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the event was meaningful enough to hang a banner it’s meaningful enough to have a 10 minute banner raising ceremony.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Management literally can't win.

If they had a ceremony, posters would be complaining comparing us to the Oilers celebrating mediocrity.

Personally, I'm fine with either way. Pros and Cons both sides, but it was definitely a spectacular regular season.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only complaint is the banners are not consistent styling.

Division Championship banners are a thing and nothing to be ashamed of. Given the dismal playoff performance, it's best just to raise it quietly like they did here.

Let's say you win the division & conference (i.e.: make SCF) you can raise both banners the following year in a ceremony. Even if you lost the Cup.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #34
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The way in which our season came to a close following the ASB and then the embarrassment of the playoffs really sucked the life out of any desire to celebrate what was an otherwise entertaining season...
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the regular season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-03-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #35
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Please no regular season conference champion banner.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The last 5 leave a sour taste that somewhat invalidates the prior 82.

Those 82 games were to jockey for position and get the fans amped up for the playoffs.

Upon which the team promptly face-planted and went home. That being the most recent memory....yeah, overshadows a nice regular season.

If the playoffs hadnt been a complete and utter disaster then I might agree with you. But they were, and so here we are.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The last 5 leave a sour taste that somewhat invalidates the prior 82.

Those 82 games were to jockey for position and get the fans amped up for the playoffs.

Upon which the team promptly face-planted and went home. That being the most recent memory....yeah, overshadows a nice regular season.
Yeah, I get that. I pointed out as much specifically in my post, but "overshadowing" the memory is entirely different than revising it altogether. The fact is, the Flames played a very good second half—definitely not as good as the first, but also not anywhere near the debacle that some people seem to misremember. The disappointment should come exclusively from what happened in the playoffs, because the regular season—from start to finish—is rightly characterized is pretty spectacular.

Quote:
If the playoffs hadnt been a complete and utter disaster then I might agree with you. But they were, and so here we are.
So, you in essence are suggesting that because the playoffs ended so poorly, we are afforded license to create alternative histories about the regular season? Sorry. I cannot get on board with that. I much prefer to remember with accuracy what happened.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. I pointed out as much specifically in my post, but "overshadowing" the memory is entirely different than revising it altogether. The fact is, the Flames played a very good second half—definitely not as good as the first, but also not anywhere near the debacle that some people seem to misremember. The disappointment should come exclusively from what happened in the playoffs, because the regular season—from start to finish—is rightly characterized is pretty spectacular.

So, you in essence are suggesting that because the playoffs ended so poorly, we are afforded license to create alternative histories about the regular season? Sorry. I cannot get on board with that. I much prefer to remember with accuracy what happened.
Great. Enjoy your banner.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Great. Enjoy your banner.
What banner? I assume that in your alternate reality the Flames were so bad that the 2018–19 season will live in infamy as the worst in franchise history.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What banner? I assume that in your alternate reality the Flames were so bad that the 2018–19 season will live in infamy as the worst in franchise history.
The banner for the great regular season that you enjoyed so much. They won the Pacific division. Its in the OP.

You know...'The' Banner in question.